Denon AU-310 step up question

the thin end of the wedge
h2oyo
United States of America

Denon AU-310 step up question

Post by h2oyo » 17 Jan 2019 21:14

hello,
I have taken possession of a Denon AU-310 step up transformer today. Before installing into my system I had a question.
With this being an older model and because of that is there a good reason to update the output RCA cable and ground?

I wont if there really isn't any marked improvement. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

nat
long player
long player

Re: Denon AU-310 step up question

Post by nat » 18 Jan 2019 03:08

There really isn't much that changes about a short piece of wire, even over decades. Unless there is corrosion or other damage, nothing more than cleaning is needed, if that. I have one, and have had no problems even with the switch, despite using it on and off for a decade or two (and it was used when I got it).
To put things in perspective - you are concerned about the state of a foot or so of moderate gauge wire when the transformers that wire is connected to contains much thinner wire, and probably a significantly longer length.
Finally - are your wire stripping and soldering skills good enough that you won't introduce more problems than you are trying to get rid of?

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 18 Jan 2019 06:19

I actually have two of them, and they are quite good transformers - especially if you plan to use a Denon DL-103 or Hana which has an unusually high internal impedance. The first one had somewhat damaged cables so I removed them and replaced them with high quality isolated RCA chassis connectors on a small aluminum plate. I am very good with a soldering iron, fabrication, etc.

The second one has the original cables. They both sound fine but the one without the cables allows me to try different interconnects and actually hear small differences between some interconnects. I learned that I generally didn't like the sound of litz wire based interconnects which seemed to add more treble.

h2oyo
United States of America

Post by h2oyo » 18 Jan 2019 13:06

I understand, I installed it and it sounds great with the dl-103. Like said I just wanted to ask that question about the output cable.
The SUT is in perfect condition same goes for the RCA cable. I got a great deal on it.