Technics SL-BD10

the thin end of the wedge
cgimp
United States of America

Technics SL-BD10

Post by cgimp » 16 Jan 2019 00:48

Hey! Nube question--I got a Technics SL-BD10 for free, in great condition, save the need for a new cartridge. It's P-Mount, and Grado was suggested, but it looks like Grado requires a heavier tracking weight. This Technics had track-weight factory adjusted to about 1.25 (and only has a plaque saying this where a dial for manual adjustment would be). This brings me to a two questions:

1) Does anyone know if there's some other way for me to adjust track weight and go with the Grado? (I looked online, through old forums, and at manuals for similar models, but couldn't find anything)
2)Suggestions for the best replacement cartridge I can get that'll work with this model for under $100?

Thank you.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-BD10

Post by Ghaasl » 16 Jan 2019 03:34

I’d look at p mount cartridges on lpgear.com They have their house brand that, as I understand it, is quite good.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 16 Jan 2019 05:16

1) In theory you could put a little weight on the top of the cartridge to increase TF. Best was to use a scale to see what TF really is/what weight you need to add.
But you should make sure that the added weight cannot vibrate as this would decrease performance of the cartridge. So you´d probably had to glue it on top of the cartridge and then you should be careful not to use too much glue as this also could increase TF. On the other hand a 0.25g weight isn´t that big not requiring too much glue. Try to use removable glue in case you want to take off the weight and/or sell the cartridge later.

2) As this tt is P-mount it should work with any P-mount cartridge, as P-mount was intended as a standart for cartridges. Audio Technica offered a range of pretty good P-mount cartridges, i once had an "AT Series VII" which was pretty good. This line went from "Series II" to "Series VIII" and i think also once was labelled as "DR", while "DR" standing for "digital research" - probably a marketing move when the cd came up. When i had this Series VII-cartridge a few years ago, new replacement styli still were available, also better ones like a Van Den Hul i think. Back then i got the AT Series VII for about 60$ i think.

cgimp
United States of America

Post by cgimp » 16 Jan 2019 05:32

Thank you! This is all very helpful.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 16 Jan 2019 14:34

This is strictly T4p, 1.25 grams. Stick to an Audio-Technica model in current production. Those will work as intended.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 16 Jan 2019 14:38

H. callahan wrote:
16 Jan 2019 05:16
1) In theory you could put a little weight on the top of the cartridge to increase TF. Best was to use a scale to see what TF really is/what weight you need to add.
But you should make sure that the added weight cannot vibrate as this would decrease performance of the cartridge. So you´d probably had to glue it on top of the cartridge and then you should be careful not to use too much glue as this also could increase TF. On the other hand a 0.25g weight isn´t that big not requiring too much glue. Try to use removable glue in case you want to take off the weight and/or sell the cartridge later.

2) As this tt is P-mount it should work with any P-mount cartridge, as P-mount was intended as a standart for cartridges. Audio Technica offered a range of pretty good P-mount cartridges, i once had an "AT Series VII" which was pretty good. This line went from "Series II" to "Series VIII" and i think also once was labelled as "DR", while "DR" standing for "digital research" - probably a marketing move when the cd came up. When i had this Series VII-cartridge a few years ago, new replacement styli still were available, also better ones like a Van Den Hul i think. Back then i got the AT Series VII for about 60$ i think.
The Grados prefer to be tracked heavier than T4p specification, therefore need to be on turntables with a tracking force adjustment. In this case, with our poster's turntable, he must stick to very strict T4p compliant cartridges, as the Technics SL-BD 10 is not adjustable at all. So, outlier cartridges like Grado, Ortofons, etc don't work here. Audio-Technica's models are the easiest option. Or hunt a higher end Technics T4p mount model with tracking force adjustment possible.

BrianovichIV

Post by BrianovichIV » 16 Jan 2019 16:29

I currently have (but no longer use) a Technics SL-BD22. If this model is anything like that, the weight at the end of the tonearm is adjustable, but you need a tracking force gauge. There might be a screw in the back that allows minor adjustments...I played around with mine and wasn't able to get it to go above 2.2 grams or below 1 gram. In the end I've switched to a standard mount so I can have more flexibility and control.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 17 Jan 2019 06:49

KentT wrote:
16 Jan 2019 14:38
The Grados prefer to be tracked heavier than T4p specification, therefore need to be on turntables with a tracking force adjustment. In this case, with our poster's turntable, he must stick to very strict T4p compliant cartridges, as the Technics SL-BD 10 is not adjustable at all. So, outlier cartridges like Grado, Ortofons, etc don't work here. Audio-Technica's models are the easiest option. Or hunt a higher end Technics T4p mount model with tracking force adjustment possible.
As i said in 1) he could put a little weight on top of the Grado to increase TF.