JVC QL-F4 Cartridge / Stylus upgrade??

the thin end of the wedge
MCM_Fan

Re: JVC QL-F4 Cartridge / Stylus upgrade??

Post by MCM_Fan » 15 Jan 2019 19:16

qunvat wrote:
15 Jan 2019 17:39
2019-01-15 16.36.21.jpg
OK, a Shure M75ED Type 2 with a generic aftermarket stylus. That's a fine cartridge worthy of a nice stylus. The brown plastic grip indicates it's a heavy(ish) tracking elliptical (2 - 4g) that should work decently well (assuming it's in good shape) with the arm on your JVC.

I have no idea where you're located, but Gary at The Voice of Music still has genuine Shure replacement styli in stock for your cartridge:

760-DE Shure Diamond 0.4 x 0.7 mil elliptical tip for 16,33,45 rpm records 2 - 4g N75-EC Brown Available

And even a slightly better genuine Shure option that will be an even better match for your tonearm:

760-DEJ Shure Diamond 0.4 x 0.7 mil elliptical tip for 16,33,45 rpm records 1.5 - 3g N75-EJ, N75-EJ Type II Lt. Green Available

If you're on a really tight budget, he still has some of the JICO made EVG replacements in stock:

4760-DED EVG Japan Diamond 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical tip for 16,33,45 rpm records 0.75 - 1.5g N75-E, N75-ED Type II Black, Gray, Yellow Available

JICO stopped making styli for EVG over a year ago, but Gary bought up their existing inventory and continues to sell them from existing stock. This is, in my opinion, the best of the lower cost "generic" replacement styli for the vintage Shure cartridges. I stocked up last March, and the prices have crept up as availability dries up. It is a great sounding, great tracking stylus, but it if was me, and I planned on keeping the table, I'd probably go with the genuine Shure 760-DEJ while you can still get them.

Actually, if it was me, I'd buy one of the 760-DEJ, a couple of the 4760-DED as back ups, and I'd also spring for a second headshell and one of the dirt cheap AT3600L cartridges. I like having options, and with Shure exiting the cartridge/stylus business and JICO no longer supplying EVG, I tend to stock up while I can. The AT3600L also provides a lower cost option that is fun to play around with and something to fall back on if/when good quality replacement styli become unavailable for your Shure cartridge.

qunvat
Wales

Post by qunvat » 15 Jan 2019 20:20

Many thanks.

Am in the UK.

I'll probably look to clean the dodgy switch in a few weeks and look around at cartridge / stylus options in the meantime.

It sounds FINE as it is but wondered what I could get out of it if you know what I mean.

Si

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 15 Jan 2019 21:32

MCM_Fan wrote:
15 Jan 2019 18:57
patient_ot wrote:
15 Jan 2019 17:23
MCM_Fan wrote:
14 Jan 2019 22:52
If you just want to have some inexpensive fun trying a different cartridge, I recommend the Audio Technica AT3600L that is available on eBay for around $11 USD, including shipping. It's performance level and fun factor far outstrip its humble price.

I'd keep that Shure mounted in its headshell and get a cheap, generic (or second hand) headshell for the Audio Technica. Again if you can't find them locally, you can get them on eBay. Doesn't have to be a JVC headshell any of the generic "Technics style" ones will work.

I've run that cartridge on a JVC JL-A40 that has an arm similar to your QL-F4 and it works great. If you're further bitten by the bug, there are several other styli available, both genuine AT and after market, that will work with this cartridge. The same cartridge is also sold under the AT91/AT91R and CN5625AL part numbers. So, any stylus that will fit those will also fit the AT3600L.

The arms on the two tables are almost identical AFAIK, so the 3600 should work fine if it works well in your A40.
The AT3600L is a great match for any turntable with a medium mass tonearm, this includes most of the Japanese made direct drive models from the mid-70s to early-80s that came S-shaped or J-shaped tonearms. I have used it on several of these tables and it works and sounds great. Amazing value for the money. I track them at 2.5g, but other go as light at 2.0g or as high as 3.5g.
The JVC arm, at least mine, is 21g with stock headshell. That's on the high side of medium mass, but yeah, if you can track at up to 3.5g with it, it's probably a decent compliance match. I have heard variations of this cartridge many times...it certainly gets the job done at a very cheap price.

MCM_Fan

Post by MCM_Fan » 15 Jan 2019 21:46

patient_ot wrote:
15 Jan 2019 21:32
MCM_Fan wrote:
15 Jan 2019 18:57
patient_ot wrote:
15 Jan 2019 17:23

The arms on the two tables are almost identical AFAIK, so the 3600 should work fine if it works well in your A40.
The AT3600L is a great match for any turntable with a medium mass tonearm, this includes most of the Japanese made direct drive models from the mid-70s to early-80s that came S-shaped or J-shaped tonearms. I have used it on several of these tables and it works and sounds great. Amazing value for the money. I track them at 2.5g, but other go as light at 2.0g or as high as 3.5g.
The JVC arm, at least mine, is 21g with stock headshell. That's on the high side of medium mass, but yeah, if you can track at up to 3.5g with it, it's probably a decent compliance match. I have heard variations of this cartridge many times...it certainly gets the job done at a very cheap price.
I tend to track it at 2.5g with the stock stylus, but that's generally on the Technics/Panasonic arms that are a little lighter than the JVC. Others have reported tracking it at 3.5g with good results. So, it should definitely work well with the JVC arm.