Please recommend a Phono preamp

the thin end of the wedge
Chuck Glider
Great Britain

Re: Please recommend a Phono preamp

Post by Chuck Glider » 16 Jan 2019 17:29

DeepEnd, your description of the MP-11/110 combo sounds very similar to my experience and I agree. The thing about the Boron though, is that I think the stylus is worn. It's gone off for retipping. Also, I will soon have a MP-100 body - so the experimentation will continue later...

Chuck Glider
Great Britain

Post by Chuck Glider » 18 Jan 2019 19:11

Today I fitted a Nagaoka MP-100 body with MP-110 stylus, tracking at 1.8g.
F A B U L O U S !
Everything is great. Bass is deep and detailed, drums and percussion sounds amazing (a lot of that dynamism is to do with the Tisbury Audio Domino), but now the high end, wow. Treble has such clarity and placement. You can almost see the tip of the drum stick hit the cymbal. Soundscape is nice and wide. Loving it, my records have been coming out, one after the other... :)
It seems to me that the MP-100 body is a significant improvement to the old MP-11 body. (whether it's a general thing or just the sample I had, I'll probably never know). I'll be curious to see what difference my Nagaoka MP-11 Boron stylus would make, when it gets back from the re-tippers.

DeepEnd
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by DeepEnd » 18 Jan 2019 19:23

One of my Boron styli now sports an ultra low mass Paratrace and this is one of my main cartridges as it takes the fun and bass part of the 110 stylus, the refinement of the 200 stylus adds a dose of musically with faster transients, lower sibilance and combines them all together with a generous amount of ambience to make something a bit special.

DeepEnd
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by DeepEnd » 18 Jan 2019 19:28

Might try and get my hands on MP100 just to try

Dr_Wu
United States of America

Post by Dr_Wu » 18 Jan 2019 22:07

Chuck Glider wrote:
18 Jan 2019 19:11
Today I fitted a Nagaoka MP-100 body with MP-110 stylus, tracking at 1.8g.
F A B U L O U S !
Everything is great. Bass is deep and detailed, drums and percussion sounds amazing (a lot of that dynamism is to do with the Tisbury Audio Domino), but now the high end, wow. Treble has such clarity and placement. You can almost see the tip of the drum stick hit the cymbal. Soundscape is nice and wide. Loving it, my records have been coming out, one after the other... :)
It seems to me that the MP-100 body is a significant improvement to the old MP-11 body. (whether it's a general thing or just the sample I had, I'll probably never know). I'll be curious to see what difference my Nagaoka MP-11 Boron stylus would make, when it gets back from the re-tippers.
Congratulations, Chuck! Isn't wonderful to hit on a great combination like this?

Desmofan
England

Post by Desmofan » 19 Jan 2019 08:28

Just treated myself to a Schiit Mani. Very happy with the results. Will take both MM and MC carts too.

klegier

Post by klegier » 19 Jan 2019 21:42

Desmofan wrote:
19 Jan 2019 08:28
Just treated myself to a Schiit Mani. Very happy with the results. Will take both MM and MC carts too.
Have one in the cart right now. Will pull trigger this weekend. Been reading many reviews, youtube videos, etc. For the money, seems to be the way to go. Hope it will blend with the Nagaoka MP-150 that is due in a few days.

What preamp were you using?

Desmofan
England

Post by Desmofan » 19 Jan 2019 22:13

I have a Marantz integrated amp. The Mani is like another world. Enjoy.