Best match cartridge for Luxman TT

the thin end of the wedge
jezep
Australia

Best match cartridge for Luxman TT

Post by jezep » 16 Dec 2018 14:26

Hi all,
I have a Luxman PD284 TT and need to replace a broken Denon DL160 with a new cartridge. I very much like the sound of the Denon but would like to try a new MM style cartridge for upgradability and just to try something different. I've checked the tonearm compliance tool but doesn't list the mass of my tonearm but I'm guessing it is quite low in mass/weight.
I'm considering these MM carts, ATVM540ML, Nagaoka MP150/200, Ortofon 2M blue/bronze and Garrott K3/P77i.
Which of these (or any other similar priced cartridges I should look at) would be the best match for my TT tonearm?
Thanks very much for your advise.

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Best match cartridge for Luxman TT

Post by Pauw » 16 Dec 2018 15:41

First port of call......effective mass of arm......cartridge compliance......resonance calculator on this site.....then onto sound and listening tests etc.

jezep
Australia

Post by jezep » 17 Dec 2018 02:26

I have checked the database as well as the service manual for the Luxman pd284 tonearm effective mass but nothing is listed. Do you have any ideas where I might be able to find this info?
The tonearm looks light compared to others but I can't be sure.
I guess that the Denon dl160 worked well with this arm so do any of the above carts have similar compliance to the Denon?
I'm not sure what cartridge compliance means and what I should be looking for in cartridge specifications to choose the best one for my tonearm.
Thanks again for any help.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 17 Dec 2018 08:47

I searched and found......The PD-284/272's arm has an effective mass of 6.5g, according to specs in HiFi Buyer's Guide #3, January 1982. ..." Now the compliance is the springiness of the cartridge.........^.5 grams is a low effective mass ....The range is usually around 6 to 40 and for a low mass arm nearer 30 or so would be the best but put the dynamic compliance listed for your cartridge into the calculator and find the resonance ...the best ones are when the calculator says you are in the green zone.

jezep
Australia

Post by jezep » 17 Dec 2018 14:05

Thankyou so much for you help with this, I've learnt so much valuable info.
So it seems I should look at the Ortofons, Garrotts and possibly Nagaokas (very confusing trying to find dynamic compliance for these but should be ok) but I should avoid all the Audio Technicas. The Ortofons are probably the most suitable for my TT.
Thanks again, much appreciated.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 17 Dec 2018 14:56

jezep wrote:
17 Dec 2018 14:05
Thankyou so much for you help with this, I've learnt so much valuable info.
So it seems I should look at the Ortofons, Garrotts and possibly Nagaokas (very confusing trying to find dynamic compliance for these but should be ok) but I should avoid all the Audio Technicas. The Ortofons are probably the most suitable for my TT.
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Do look in the vinyl engine data base it is big and it is one of the great features of this forum. It has stacks of cartridges listed all with compliance etc.... :D