Replacement Rubber/Nylon Yoke Sonotone 9TA

the thin end of the wedge
Captgogo
Australia

Replacement Rubber/Nylon Yoke Sonotone 9TA

Post by Captgogo » 20 Oct 2018 23:35

Hi
Does anyone have any experience at repairing/restoring a Sonotone 9TA cart?
I inadvertently cause the old rubber yoke to crumble into little pieces when I tried cleaning/softening it with a dab of Acetone.
1. Are there Replacement yokes available and where could I get them?
2. How easy is it to replace one.

If anyone has done this and can provide me some Help that would be most appreciated.

Thanks George

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Replacement Rubber/Nylon Yoke Sonotone 9TA

Post by Spinner45 » 20 Oct 2018 23:58

Sorry, once it goes, it's history.
Gotta let it go.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 22 Oct 2018 02:16

EEK!! - acetone is dangerous around plastics, as you have found. I suspect the only source of replacements is another 9TA, in which case, why not use it?
This is not to say that I question your interest in using a Sonotone - the better ones got good reviews, even in comparisons with better moving magnets of the time, and the one I've tried sounded nice.

Captgogo
Australia

Post by Captgogo » 22 Oct 2018 13:04

Hi Nat,
The Yoke is in fact a rubber composite that had gotten brittle after all these years and a small amount of Acetone was suppose to soften it. It was so brittle that it just broke up with a little pressure from the cotton bud I used to apply the Acetone.
Another 9TA would be great, they are not that easy to come by and the ones I have seen are not cheap and no guarantee they will not have that same ageing rubber yoke issues

What I have done today is used rubber cement to attached a newer rubber yoke removed carefully from a cheap Chinese Ceramic cart and believe it or not it is working and sounding quite good. I will put it through a completed sound test once I get a new replacement stylus for it.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 23 Oct 2018 00:16

If the yoke's geometry is similar to that of the original, it should be fine. You may miss some nuance of the original superbness (to whatever degree it had it), but you also might actually hear better sound, since rubbers and polymers have improved in the intervening decades, and the originals clearly have aged.
I applaud your resourcefulness.

Captgogo
Australia

Post by Captgogo » 23 Oct 2018 01:30

Thanks Nat, it was a reasonably close, though a bit short in length, so not a lot of clearance from the body to record, but the original had surpringly very little clearance as well.
We will see how long it last and if it passes some of my listening test.
The main use will be in a Console Restoration I am doing using a 9 Valve STC radiogram, the deck is a Garrard SL65 and I will be playing mainly 78s in mono.
Cheers