Mofi Studiophono vs Vincent PHO-8

the thin end of the wedge
Cossack

Mofi Studiophono vs Vincent PHO-8

Post by Cossack » 12 Oct 2018 12:04

Ok so I thought I was ready to go on the Mofi Studiophono when I was recommended the Vincent PHO-8.

They share some similarities, ie both switchable from MM to MC but are different in that the Vincent is a two box solution. Both get fantastic reviews almost across the board.

Whilst the Vincent obviously wins in terms of visual appeal, build quality and perceived "bang for buck" the fact that the Mofi is more discrete does have its advantages (I can sneak it in without being noticed!).

If anyone has direct experience of both would be great to hear from you. If anything my system leans towards lean so would benefit from some midrange "filler". Cartridge is AT OC9/iii, Linn amplification.

Thanks

patient_ot

Re: Mofi Studiophono vs Vincent PHO-8

Post by patient_ot » 28 Oct 2018 23:06

I don't have both, only the StudioPhono. I would not touch anything from Vincent with a ten foot pole. I have never used the StudioPhono in MC mode, as I have no MC cartridges. Perhaps someone can chime in on that front.

stevoz
Australia

Post by stevoz » 29 Oct 2018 01:22

patient_ot wrote:
28 Oct 2018 23:06
I don't have both, only the StudioPhono. I would not touch anything from Vincent with a ten foot pole. I have never used the StudioPhono in MC mode, as I have no MC cartridges. Perhaps someone can chime in on that front.
Wow, constructive post! :shock: :? Have you even heard a PHO8? I have one and it is the sweetest sounding unit and the above is a big claim without a shread of evidence to back it up [-X :^o.......explain yourself!!

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 29 Oct 2018 14:59

stevoz wrote:
29 Oct 2018 01:22
patient_ot wrote:
Wow, constructive post! :shock: :? Have you even heard a PHO8? I have one and it is the sweetest sounding unit and the above is a big claim without a shread of evidence to back it up [-X :^o.......explain yourself!!
My comments have nothing to do with the sound of the unit and more to do with the company and the kind of stuff they do. You might want to spend some time researching their reputation before getting bent out of shape and taking my comments personally.

stevoz
Australia

Post by stevoz » 29 Oct 2018 23:33

patient_ot wrote:
29 Oct 2018 14:59
stevoz wrote:
29 Oct 2018 01:22
patient_ot wrote:
My comments have nothing to do with the sound of the unit and more to do with the company and the kind of stuff they do. You might want to spend some time researching their reputation before getting bent out of shape and taking my comments personally.
"Reputation"? Intruiging! :? Again, explain yourself......still NOOOO evidence. :roll: You can't make an unsubstantiated claim.....then expect me to do your research to make sense of YOUR claim. What do you mean....."reputation"?

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 12 Jan 2019 16:26

patient_ot wrote:
29 Oct 2018 14:59
. . . the company and the kind of stuff they do. You might want to spend some time researching their reputation . . .
Can you elaborate? I've been Googling them for the past 10 minutes using various search terms and I haven't found anything alarming yet.

Audiodude

Post by Audiodude » 12 Jan 2019 17:30

I had owned a Vincent PHO-8 for a little less than a year. I bought it as an upgrade to my Musical Fidelity VLPS1, it was an upgrade. After owning the Vincent for a few months, I decided to go with a separate amp and pre setup. Purchased an NAD 1155 preamp from Ebay and gave it a listen, it sounded OK against the Vincent. Then I did a full recap and the results were amazing! The phono pre section of the 1155 sounded superior to the Vincent in a few areas, especially stage. Sold the Vincent on Ebay.

stevoz
Australia

Post by stevoz » 13 Jan 2019 03:04

Still no word on the Vincent 'reputation' from 'patient_ot' I see......obviously an unwarranted prejudice without factual back up. Nice one.....

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 14 Jan 2019 15:43

Here is a very interesting article you might want to read. Draw your own conclusions. I know I would never give a cent to this company.

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REF ... grade.html

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 14 Jan 2019 16:18

I would go for the Mofi StudioPhono, because of the legendary designer and hifi-guru Tim de Paravicini (EAR/Yoshino). He has designed the circuits in it. :) I love everything he has done, including the bias sensing circuits in my Alchemist amp. :)

Vincent is a brand of the german company Sintron, they designs and develops their products in Germany and manufacturers them in China. Dynavox is their little-sister brand. I have not heard the Vincent PHO-8 but I've seen many good reviews on Vincent products. However, I would be more temped in the PH701 phono pre. :) Also note the Dynavox TPR-2 as an alternative.

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 14 Jan 2019 16:24

I don't know where OP is in the world (U.S. here), but I may be selling my MOFI Studio Phono soon. I decided to upgrade to a Graham Slee Reflex M, just waiting for the new unit to arrive as they are built to order.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 14 Jan 2019 19:49

patient_ot wrote:
14 Jan 2019 15:43
Here is a very interesting article you might want to read. Draw your own conclusions. I know I would never give a cent to this company.

Thanks for sharing that. That CD player is "all steak and no sizzle," as the saying goes.

stevoz
Australia

Post by stevoz » 15 Jan 2019 06:37

patient_ot wrote:

......and?

There is nothing in that article that would make me ....."never give a cent to this company."

Plus, I rarely play CD's.....but my Vincent PHO8 phono stage sounds divine and that's all that matters......how it sounds.

I'm sure you'll now attempt to seek out articles tearing the PHO8's components to shreds......so good luck with that, you'll need it.

Audiodude

Post by Audiodude » 15 Jan 2019 14:50

BMRR wrote:
14 Jan 2019 19:49
patient_ot wrote:

Thanks for sharing that. That CD player is "all steak and no sizzle," as the saying goes.
Thanks for that article of enlightenment. It almost makes me ashamed to have ever owned a Vincent product. Very sad that some manufacturers rely on such trickery. Although the PHO-8 I owned, did sound quite good.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 15 Jan 2019 15:09

I just realized that I got the saying backwards. I meant "all sizzle and no steak." LOL