Elliptical stylus for AT-71 cartridge?

the thin end of the wedge
rumble555

Elliptical stylus for AT-71 cartridge?

Post by rumble555 » 26 Sep 2018 13:18

Hi everyone. My name is David from Madrid Spain. I'm new to this site I'd like to thank you all for the good job you're doing.

Well I just bought a secondhand Technics SL-Q2 on ebay. It works perfect wich is amazing for an almost 40 years old TT Everything's original but the cartridge and stylus. It came with an original AT-71 cartridge and stylus in good condition. As far as I know the AT-71 is a conical stylus.

My question is: Can I put an AT-71e stylus on that cartridge? would it fit well? Or there's another compatible elliptical stylus for the At-71 cartridge? Or should I buy another cartridge.

Thanks in advance.

themisto462
Germany

Re: Elliptical stylus for AT-71 cartridge?

Post by themisto462 » 26 Sep 2018 21:58

Hello David, welcome to vinylengine.
rumble555 wrote: Can I put an AT-71e stylus on that cartridge? would it fit well?
Yes, it would fit.
rumble555 wrote:Or there's another compatible elliptical stylus for the At-71 cartridge?
As far as I know, there were only two elliptical variants of the AT71 cartridge - the AT71E and the AT72E. The replacement needles would be the ATN71E and the ATN72E. Both have a bonded elliptical stylus with 0.4 x 0.7mil radii, which make them a little bit "worse" than the current AT95E (or the recently introduced successor AT-VM95E).

Best regards.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 27 Sep 2018 02:12

David: You can use all AT70 family needles on your AT71 body - i.e., all four conicals (ATN70L (very heavy tracking), ATN70 (pretty heavy tracking), ATN71 (standard tracking) and ATN72 (lighter tracking)) and the two ellipticals ATN71E (standard tracking (~ 2 g)) and ATN72E (lighter tracking (~ 1.5 g)). In addition, there are a few minor variants with visor guard you could use as well - like for example the ATN771E.

With the ATN72E instead of the ATN71E you could expect slightly better trackability - otherwise there won't be much of a difference.

Well, and regarding the "should I?", that's always a difficult question due to individual tastes, expectations and system synergy - but personally I wouldn't yet deem an AT71E or AT72E adequate for an SL-Q2, and unfortunately the AT70 family still appears to be overlooked by replament needle manufacturers/vendors in terms of upgrade needles with more sophisticated tip shapes...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

rumble555

Post by rumble555 » 27 Sep 2018 12:28

Thank you guys.

I see that I can put some elliptical stylus in that cartridge there are not too many options though and it seems that the most appropiate of them for my TT is hard to find.

I think I'll stick with the current needle till I have the chance to get a better cartridge in order to upgrade.