What Cartridge is This?

the thin end of the wedge
ghoov

Identify this cartridge!

Post by ghoov » 18 Sep 2016 17:10

Hey all - Need Help identifying this cartridge!
I just picked up a Dual 1219 and this cartridge came with. I haven't seen a list or anything of what Dual 1219's were packaged with - if anything? It's not labeled and no branding marks can be found. My guess is the spot on the front is where a logo sticker or id would have been. It sounds quite nice so I'm actually taking my time getting another one.
Thanks!
Attachments
Dual1219_Cartridge_4.jpg
(756.3 KiB) Downloaded 1515 times
Dual1219_Cartridge_3.jpg
(722.71 KiB) Downloaded 1462 times
Dual1219_Cartridge_2.jpg
(638.4400000000001 KiB) Downloaded 1461 times
Dual1219_Cartridge_1.jpg
(664.66 KiB) Downloaded 1454 times

GTH

Re: Identify this cartridge!

Post by GTH » 18 Sep 2016 17:19

It looks very much like a Grado, unsure of exact model but entry level from the early 80's.
I bought one on the advice of an audiophile co-worker at the time.
I still have a Grado (Prestige Silver) in my small stable of cartridges.

ghoov

Post by ghoov » 18 Sep 2016 17:26

GTH wrote:It looks very much like a Grado, unsure of exact model but entry level from the early 80's.
I bought one on the advice of an audiophile co-worker at the time.
I still have a Grado (Prestige Silver) in my small stable of cartridges.
I was wondering that. It also has a bit of a hum that I've been reading about. Apparently Grado carts generate more of a hum with Duals

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Sep 2016 19:04

I think it's a Grado G2. They were not the bottom line.
They are usually OK with Duals, because the metal top plate is between the motor and cartridge. But they are unshielded, so check that there is not a transformer right next to it.

Cheers,
Alec

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 19 Sep 2016 00:42

Sold bunches of these on Duals and dont remember a problem with hum on duals - have you got the ground wire attached ?

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 19 Sep 2016 02:51

I once had a Dual from my parents. There were two or three cartridges with it and one is a Grado. It has the same color as yours and the front says "GC". The bottom plastic part doesn´t appear to be glued so it falls off sometimes + so does the little plate saying "GC". Probably happened with yours, too and got lost.

ghoov

Post by ghoov » 19 Sep 2016 07:18

Alec124c41 wrote:I think it's a Grado G2. They were not the bottom line.
They are usually OK with Duals, because the metal top plate is between the motor and cartridge. But they are unshielded, so check that there is not a transformer right next to it.

Cheers,
Alec
Ah! Excellent- the table is currently sitting on top of the amplifier (a higher end Yamaha from the 90's) I wonder if that might be generating some magnetism, thus hum. Thanks!!

ghoov

Post by ghoov » 19 Sep 2016 07:21

audiopile wrote:Sold bunches of these on Duals and dont remember a problem with hum on duals - have you got the ground wire attached ?
I had to fashion one as it didn't come with but connected it to the amp as per usual. I'll try moving it away from the amp when back from vacation.

What might be a good replacement stylus for it - if possible without knowing the exact cart model?

kalju

Post by kalju » 20 Sep 2016 13:00

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 20 Sep 2016 15:26

I'm not too sure if Grado themselves could give you an exact model number... I think I've yet to come across an old Grado that is actually listed in their cross-reference chart!

At $45 for a replacement stylus you might be further ahead putting that $ towards a new cart.

needlewhine

Post by needlewhine » 20 Sep 2016 16:48

Those color dots on the sides of the stylus appear to be silver in the photos. I would expect this cartridge, then, to perform much like today's Prestige Silver cartridge. That's a nice cartridge. No wonder you think it sounds good. I think I have one just like it.

That cartridgeman cartridge is something else. He bought an old version of the Grado Moving Iron cartridge from Grado and then did his own thing with it with Grado's blessing. Or maybe he just reworks off-the-shelf Grados. I've heard different stories. In any case, the cartridgeman cartridge starts life as a Grado. That's why they look alike.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/mmaker/mmaker.html

ghoov

Post by ghoov » 20 Sep 2016 18:42

Right on - just picked up a Grado Black stylus from an audio shop where I'm visiting. Excited to hear it when I get back! Thanks guys :D

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 21 Sep 2016 00:53

And it looks like you got a good one. I can't see any cracking of the body in the pictures you posted up ... every single old Grado I have come across has been cracked. Regardless of whether or not people say it doesn't impact performance, I won't spend $ on a new stylus with a cracked body (mine is old and cracked enough as it is!).

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 21 Sep 2016 04:36

@ Van_Isle

That´s interesting and i was inspecting the pictures for cracks, too. Mine has two cracks and it looks like the black stuff inside the cartridge has expanded over the years and broke the plastik housing.
... but i don´t think that these cracks would impact sound quality very much/at all, because the permanent magnet inside the cartridge is that strong that it holds the stylus assembly in place firmly... i removed the black stuff from one cartridge not knowing its purpose and considering it being corrosion stuff.
And because the magnet holds on strong to the stylus assembly (when black stuff is removed) it seems like a cracked housing doesn´t worsen things.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 21 Sep 2016 05:13

Come to think of it, I'm going to have to amend my previous post. I have had an older Grado without cracks ... it had the molding on the side of the body like the one pictured in this post. The others had a flat slab side without molding. So this one must be a bit newer. I suspect they changed the mold at some time to reinforce the side.