Ortofon Omega

the thin end of the wedge
Boltman92124

Ortofon Omega

Post by Boltman92124 » 24 Sep 2018 16:32

Yet another budget cartridge to check out (and my first Ortofon!) I read this elliptical is more or less similar to the 5e and OM10. If I like it then I can check out the higher end styli!. Plus, it looks pretty nice with the silver SH-4 headshell. Only a few album sides in but it has a nice lively sound to it. Good tracker too on my micro-warped Doobie Bros Minute by Minute. Didn't break at sweat at 1.75g. Sounds good and works well on the LP120 arm. Good for the more used LP's I think.

Great deal too.
Omegasmall.jpg

BMRR
long player
long player

Re: Ortofon Omega

Post by BMRR » 24 Sep 2018 22:47

I have an Omega and the silver SH-4, and I agree it is a nice looking combination. It's a great cartridge for the price. I don't use it much because it's a bit recessed in the mids (same reason I don't use my 2M Blue very often either); I guess this is part of the present-day Ortofon house sound.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 24 Sep 2018 23:02

BMRR wrote:I have an Omega and the silver SH-4, and I agree it is a nice looking combination. It's a great cartridge for the price. I don't use it much because it's a bit recessed in the mids (same reason I don't use my 2M Blue very often either); I guess this is part of the present-day Ortofon house sound.
Nice. I had $65 burning a hole in my pocket and decided on this combo instead of an OM10 Super. I do hear a more pronounced bass response than the AT's for instance. Kind of pleasing actually. I think it is the same elliptical as the OM10 but stiffer cantilever. Very low LP surface noise too. Face it off against my other favorite el cheapo- LP Gear CF3600le.

Snead

Post by Snead » 25 Sep 2018 20:47

I have an Omega. Compared to cheap ATs I find it to lack a bit of focus and sound just a tad boxy. Tracks best at 1.9-2.0 grams. At seven years old, the plastic around the mounting lugs crumbled away, and the plastic body is cracked near the output pins. I can only assume Ortofon used some poor quality plastic when they made mine. I won't be buying another nor miss this one when it's worn out.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 25 Sep 2018 21:01

Snead wrote:I have an Omega. Compared to cheap ATs I find it to lack a bit of focus and sound just a tad boxy. Tracks best at 1.9-2.0 grams. At seven years old, the plastic around the mounting lugs crumbled away, and the plastic body is cracked near the output pins. I can only assume Ortofon used some poor quality plastic when they made mine. I won't be buying another nor miss this one when it's worn out.
After a few days I think it sounds good. Different sound than the AT's. Fuller bottom end and maybe the highs are a little rolled off. I will probably try an OM10 stylus on it after awhile. Construction quality seemed really nice to me. QC on the stylus looks excellent too.

It is a great tracker for sure. Sailed through some of my most challenging LP's (warps, skips etc..) No problems. That's why I got it.