Virtuoso Cartrigde

the thin end of the wedge
Brasilcat

Virtuoso Cartrigde

Post by Brasilcat » 20 Sep 2018 02:29

Hi guys,
I'm so bummed. I destroyed my Virtuoso Cartridge on my Marantz table by accident.

Does anyone know if the needle is able to be replaced or is the cartridge repairable?

#-o

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: Virtuoso Cartrigde

Post by cafe latte » 20 Sep 2018 02:41

Brasilcat wrote:Hi guys,
I'm so bummed. I destroyed my Virtuoso Cartridge on my Marantz table by accident.

Does anyone know if the needle is able to be replaced or is the cartridge repairable?

#-o
I have had a few carts retipped by Soundsmith with new ruby cantilever too. Partner damaged my gas sleeping beauty and Soundsmith did a great job with retip. I too have a Virtuoso and love it too, only issue I can see is if you have snapped off the cantilever totally it is set into the body rather deeply so might be an issue. If it is visible the break point they will be able to splint it for sure. Email Soundsith they will advise.
Chris

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 20 Sep 2018 04:51

A quick check of MusicDirect's site indicates that the stylus is not replaceable as such, but ClearAudio will retip the stylus at a "special" rate or offer you an upgrade cartridge in exchange. Not much of a consolation for you I'm afraid. #-o

Brasilcat

Post by Brasilcat » 20 Sep 2018 06:52

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:A quick check of MusicDirect's site indicates that the stylus is not replaceable as such, but ClearAudio will retip the stylus at a "special" rate or offer you an upgrade cartridge in exchange. Not much of a consolation for you I'm afraid. #-o
Thank you, that may be an option. =D>
I'll look into it. :shock:

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 20 Sep 2018 09:32

This may be of interest:

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 20 Sep 2018 12:52

According to reviewers on the turntableneedles.com site, this stylus can be modified to fit the Virtuoso.

https://www.turntableneedles.com/ATN95S ... _3721.html

Pretorius
United States of America

Post by Pretorius » 20 Sep 2018 20:45

Needledoctor has a retip program for the Clearaudio Virtuoso, among others, where they send you a new cartridge at about half price and you send them your old one. I have done this with my Maestro.

https://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio ... bony-Retip

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 21 Sep 2018 00:00

Mine is a Sumiko MC also Virtuoso so different. This retip option though for the Clearaudio is very interesting, it kind of looks like Clearaudio tried to make a MM not east to re-rip very naughty..
Chris

Brasilcat

Post by Brasilcat » 22 Sep 2018 03:36

Pretorius wrote:Needledoctor has a retip program for the Clearaudio Virtuoso, among others, where they send you a new cartridge at about half price and you send them your old one. I have done this with my Maestro.

https://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio ... bony-Retip

Thank you everyone for all the great tips. I'll looking into all the options and let you guys know how it worked out.
=D>

Brasilcat

Post by Brasilcat » 22 Sep 2018 03:46

I'm not sure if anyone experienced this, but When I try to go to the NEEDLEDOCTOR.COM website, it shows a warning on my browser, both Chrome and W10. Stating that the site is unsafe.

If anyone knows the owner or manager for the website, maybe they are not aware.

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Post by ripblade » 22 Sep 2018 19:16

chiz wrote:This may be of interest:

Worth repeating.

Also, the new VM95 stylii should fit and are a better option beginning with the 95EN upwards.

bimasta123

Post by bimasta123 » 10 Oct 2018 22:15

I can't offer Help, only sympathy. I've broken more than one great cartridge over the years, and it's traumatic — especially, as in my case, knowing it was my fault.

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 10 Oct 2018 23:41

Wow!

Crearaudio Virtuoso is just an Audio Technica body after all. :shock:

Has anyone measured the inductance/resistance to confirm it is electrically identical to the AT95?

Wimbo
Australia

Post by Wimbo » 11 Oct 2018 10:47

mamakasou wrote:Wow!

Crearaudio Virtuoso is just an Audio Technica body after all. :shock:

Has anyone measured the inductance/resistance to confirm it is electrically identical to the AT95?
Old news this. Have a look at the video on Utube. Theres comments there to say it works well.
Different profiles used too.
Nothing on electro measurements though.

JAV80007

Post by JAV80007 » 13 Oct 2018 15:42

I have the same setup, Virtuoso on Merantz TT15 S-1. It's a spectacular table with a well matched cartridge.

As a means of upgrade, I ordered a Jico AT95SA (shibata) stylus. As per the youtube video, you cut the stylus and "grip" from the stylus body. It requires some steady handed work, especially with a $180 stylus you're hacking at with an exacto. It's not terribly difficult if you're crafty at all.

The end result didn't disappoint. Under a microscope the Jico shibata was nicely cut and beautifully polished. The cantilever was finished to a higher level than the base AT stylus. Highs were extended, tracking was improved, and surface noise reduced (with proper VTA). I'll say the response seems faster, but it may just be the extended highs.