Any of these worth keeping?

the thin end of the wedge
MrFizzbin

Any of these worth keeping?

Post by MrFizzbin » 18 Sep 2018 14:46

Hello everyone.
I need some advise regarding cartridges, specifically old ones.
Recently i've been into picking up old TT's and restoring them best I can. Most already had cartridges. I'm wondering if they are worth keeping. If so, they will be used on either a Pioneer PL-516, Pl-518 or Akai AP-206. I understand cartridges all have their own qualities, but lets take that out of the equation. What would you consider to be best to worse (and which ones should be junked).

Shure M55e
Shure M75MB Type 2
(Encore) Me70B
( ?) e95ED (no markings to indicate it's a Shure cartridge)

b+v8an

Re: Any of these worth keeping?

Post by b+v8an » 18 Sep 2018 17:56

those are all junk! Just send them to me and I will dispose of them for you.

tcolegrove

Post by tcolegrove » 18 Sep 2018 19:11

Best to worst? That's very subjective. But, like they ^ said, Junk! (and I'll pay for the postage to send them to me!) :)

noisefreq

Post by noisefreq » 18 Sep 2018 23:10

They are all pretty much identical with the edge going to the M95ED (if that's what it is).
The M75 type II is no slouch either.

Test the coils with a digital multi-meter to see if they are worth spending money on new styli.

Sunwire
long player
long player

Post by Sunwire » 19 Sep 2018 00:21

I'm not a big fan of Shure cartridges, but original Shure needles are quite valuable now that Shure is out of the cartridge business.
Especially valuable are the .2 x .7 elliptical needles and the sharper hyperelliptical and Microridge needles.
If the M55e and M95E have original needles on them (I believe they were both .2 x .7 ellipticals), those are quite valuable and worth listening to. I'd certainly want to hear them.
The others are spherical and not quite as desirable for many users (I believe "B" always indicates a spherical diamond stylus in the Shure naming scheme), but may still be worth some money if in good condition.
The needles, if good, are worth more than the bodies, which are quite common and easy to find without needles.
Check ebay for prices on the bodies, styli, and complete cartridges and you'll get a better idea of their values. You may need to search for awhile to find a price on original Shure needles for these bodies. They have become quite rare. There are plenty of replacements available from companies like Jico, Pfanstiehl, and Tonar, however.

mamakasou

Post by mamakasou » 19 Sep 2018 11:25

I think you should keep them.
All of them are classics.

MrFizzbin

Post by MrFizzbin » 19 Sep 2018 13:38

tcolegrove wrote:Best to worst? That's very subjective. But, like they ^ said, Junk! (and I'll pay for the postage to send them to me!) :)
You have a deal! Course, my "Postal Charges" might be considered up there. :D

Thanks all for the input (and humor). Guess I will be keeping them.
I will take a closer look at the stylus in each of them.
So, to test via a multimeter.. Darn to say I don't have one. Will pick one up. Not to hard to get I imagine.
Is the correct way to test correct if I follow this video? https://youtu.be/52khWb2m4cA

Oh, and just noticed. The video says to select "ohmeter", but most meters I am shopping have a range of settings (2,000k, 200k, 20k ). What should it be set at?

Sunwire
long player
long player

Post by Sunwire » 19 Sep 2018 23:24

I wouldn't bother testing them with a meter. They will either work or they won't.
I've owned dozens of cartridges, never had one fail electrically.

bhuston

Post by bhuston » 20 Sep 2018 00:32

MrFizzbin wrote:
tcolegrove wrote:Best to worst? That's very subjective. But, like they ^ said, Junk! (and I'll pay for the postage to send them to me!) :)
You have a deal! Course, my "Postal Charges" might be considered up there. :D

Thanks all for the input (and humor). Guess I will be keeping them.
I will take a closer look at the stylus in each of them.
So, to test via a multimeter.. Darn to say I don't have one. Will pick one up. Not to hard to get I imagine.
Is the correct way to test correct if I follow this video? https://youtu.be/52khWb2m4cA

Oh, and just noticed. The video says to select "ohmeter", but most meters I am shopping have a range of settings (2,000k, 200k, 20k ). What should it be set at?
Doesn't matter, you're looking for a reading, if it isn't 0 or infinity, they're probably good

Wimbo

Post by Wimbo » 20 Sep 2018 01:16

Sunwire wrote:I wouldn't bother testing them with a meter. They will either work or they won't.
I've owned dozens of cartridges, never had one fail electrically.
I have. And I have just had a Dynavector 23R rewound by delta. Both sides O/C.

Sunwire
long player
long player

Post by Sunwire » 20 Sep 2018 02:22

If you're worried, just connect it to the phono input without fully mounting it. Touch the stylus and see if you get noise out of both channels.

MrFizzbin

Post by MrFizzbin » 20 Sep 2018 15:28

Thank you all for your input (pardon the pun).
I've ordered a Sumiko Pearl Cartridge & stylus while I inspect and test the other cartridges. I understand it's a good match for a Pioneer PL-518 with good qualities at a reasonable price. Will let you know how the overhaul on that PL-518 goes. (Right now I have one stubborn screw that is putting the breaks on the whole tear-down. Ok, "tear-down might not have been the right word to use.. Lol )

smee4

Post by smee4 » 21 Sep 2018 01:29

Sunwire wrote:If you're worried, just connect it to the phono input without fully mounting it. Touch the stylus and see if you get noise out of both channels.
This is the best and safest way!