the home of the turntable

home for distressed cartridges

the thin end of the wedge

home for distressed cartridges

Postby billshurv » 13 Sep 2018 12:21

I'll admit it, I have a problem. I can't Help collecting old and broken cartridges with the hope of one day getting them restored to new glory. I see their broken carcasses and wonder how someone could have mistreated them so. Worse than puppies! The problem is that my 'home for distressed cartridges' now has too many residents, so my new technique is to post pictures of ones I find as a bit of light relief. Virtual restoration discussions :)

First exhibit from Japan with a BIN of $118 is an Ortofon MC20II with broken cantilever and an AT33ML with collapsed suspension. I hate to think where they have been stored for that corrosion to happen.

The MC20II hails from the era of super low ouput ortofons at 0.1mV. So a tranformer or a heroic MC stage required (or which there are few). That could be recantilevered and sorted for about the cost of a Hana EL.

The AT-33 could be more challenging. Suspension can be fixed, but you would need to find someone who can retip Beryllium or be a heathen and put boron on :)

So anyone else seen things where they get tempted but are either not brave enough or rich enough to hit buy?

Note: not all of what I have written is completely true, but I'm not telling you which bits!
Attachments
sad_carts.jpg
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Re: home for distressed cartridges

Postby BMRR » 13 Sep 2018 20:06

I wish I had known that you were a collector of distressed cartridges; I would have sent you some! I recently threw away a pair of old Grados (after listing them on eBay for one month without any bids).
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 13 Sep 2018 21:19

Well I am trying to get better :). I do have enough cartridges for my needs, but every so often one comes along. My most recent was a DL-103S that needs a cantilever. I have no idea why I bought it, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby nat » 13 Sep 2018 23:25

You need to become good friends with Needlestein over at AudioKarma, who apparently lives to graft cantilevers (and now, I understand, styli) onto busted cartridges. I have a couple of his efforts, and they are very pleasing.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby cafe latte » 13 Sep 2018 23:37

BMRR wrote:I wish I had known that you were a collector of distressed cartridges; I would have sent you some! I recently threw away a pair of old Grados (after listing them on eBay for one month without any bids).

What Grado's did you throw out?
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby vinyl master » 14 Sep 2018 05:34

cafe latte wrote:
BMRR wrote:I wish I had known that you were a collector of distressed cartridges; I would have sent you some! I recently threw away a pair of old Grados (after listing them on eBay for one month without any bids).

What Grado's did you throw out?
Chris

Yes, BMRR...Tell us...I would have loved to try one out, even for free! =P~

Better than tossing them! What kind of condition were they in and which models, if you don't mind me asking? :-k
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby audiopile » 14 Sep 2018 06:11

being only about 70 miles away from Evanston - Shure M91 series carts are real common around here. So -I've got four of five of 'em (all with busted styli) I've been hoarding while I watched the prices climb on da bay for bodies only. And da bubble done burst- very disappointing . I wonder what strange aspect of free market economics/sheep herding explains this. Shure hasn't made styli for these in ?20 years??-so Shure closing down the remnants of phono cart production -shouldn't a made a bit of difference - but it looks like these are worth about half of what they sold for a year ago ? As a assistance to my fellow collectors/hoarders - bought several ATN15xe styli relatively cheaply a few years back -turns out they aren't really the "right" stylus for my AT15S body -so today got the newish AT15xe body and and another ATN15xe stylus.BTW- these styli have the fanciest cut elliptical diamond I've ever seen - really a thing of beauty. Got a few of those very low output Ortofon MC10/20 carts - nice thing is the 72 series SUT that works very well with them really doesn't match at all well with higher output carts -so the STM 72 sell pretty cheap.
audiopile
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 14 Sep 2018 09:46

Even with the list on here I get confused on older AT cartridges. AT is a very useful source of spare cantilevers so I keep my eye out.
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby billshurv » 14 Sep 2018 11:13

On the M91 front I suspect that JICO have a lot to do with that, basically pulling the SAS line with no explanation after a big discount then offering a reduced line through just two US distributors and one european. A couple of years ago there were threads everywhere on SAS and its compatibility with various old skool stylii and now that has vanished. Boron SAS is back on the menu, the NeoSAS seems to have vanished and M91 SAS is now $275. It's still a good stylus but the price has nudged above impulse buy.

EDIT. LP gear is doing the M91 SAS at $199. Still a big of a tooth suck.
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby audiopile » 14 Sep 2018 16:20

Sold thousands of M91E/ED carts back in the day. They weren't 1 cent carts - but added 5 to 10 bucks to the cost of a turntable - usually preinstalled at the factory in Germany or Britain.A thoroughly competent cartridge. There are all sorts of inferior generic styli available to fit those bodies - but in todays money -the 200 buck SAS styli is a deal -nothing in a Shure OEM for that cart body comes close. What does concern me is the cutting off of being able to buy any SAS directly from JICO simply because the importers in the USA didn't bring in styli that did probably look odd (SAS for a SC35C - I bought three SAS for that body)and there were a ton of SAS styli for relatively obscure in the US market carts like the Technics MM's. Really agree on the confusion that Audio Technica has caused with a naming regimen that makes searching out replacement styli more than challenging. Lini/Manfred has been a tremendous Help with info on this really great quality - but utterly confusing cart line.
audiopile
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 14 Sep 2018 22:16

SAS for an SC35 IS odd!

I haven't even considered my collection of sad MMs. Which is odd as the starting point from me being a sensible person with one turntable and one cartridge to the current mess. Back in the 80s the starter cartridge was often the A&R C77 as you could move up the stylus range fairly easily. When I got my fathers old Kenwood it still had the C77 on I'd fitted in about 1985. I thought it might be fun to mod so got a bag of assorted old MMs off ebay which, as well as 3 x77 bodies had a couple of shures in. I think M75s. I looked at the shure and decided the construction was much better. I then started doing research and found all sorts of other MMs that had interesting features and I wanted to find out more. Then things got silly :).

But I have most of the carts that I would like to have. A few AT stylii missing from the collection, and still no SAS.
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby audiopile » 14 Sep 2018 23:53

Ya - a twelve step program for us cartaholic's is probably long overdue. Trouble is that between arm interactions -what we are using for phono pre-amps and only about six or seven other variables - there's almost always some part of playing back LP's worth investigating.What I find particularly interesting is discovering for the first time in my 50+ year obsession- carts that were never around the tiny chunck of mid-west USA I worked in. ELAC's ,Technics , Glanz, Cambridge , had their heyday in their home markets and sometimes on one or two islands or continents besides.The TOTL models are oftentimes arguably better than anything we can buy today. It was pretty intense arms race with leading edge manufacturing tech employed by the participants.
Come on - rationalization is my middle name -there's ALWAYS a reason to buy another cart !
audiopile
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 15 Sep 2018 00:36

Todays sad face on ebay is an AT32E with a broken cantilever. I don't need it but I'm still thinking about the total cost to get it up and running. Then I remember I still haven't done my low compliance ortofon experiments yet and need money for those.
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Return to Cartridges and Preamps