Anyone tried the new Audio Technics AT-VM95's

the thin end of the wedge
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Anyone tried the new Audio Technics AT-VM95's

Post by cafe latte » 07 Sep 2018 08:23

As the title says anyone tried one yet, they look interesting.
Chris

balky
Belgium

Re: Anyone tried the new Audio Technics AT-VM95's

Post by balky » 07 Sep 2018 11:51

I think I'm personally not going to be trying one for the foreseeable future... The 150sa will be my last AT cart with a performance stylus on an aluminum cantilever for now...
Anything short of a Boron (or Beryllium) cantilever with Shibata / Microline / MicroRidge whatever is off my list for now...

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 07 Sep 2018 12:00

I have loads of carts mc mm and mi some with very special cantilevers. Ruby even diamond, but a recent but of a bottom feeder at3600 got me wondering. Massive shock how good it was and yes it has faults, but got me thinking...

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 07 Sep 2018 12:11

I would like to see a test/review between Goldring E-series and the new Audio-Technicas. The Goldring is based upon AT-generators and made by AT plus features some of the features of the new AT's such as threaded holes for the screws. No more nuts and bolts. :)

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 07 Sep 2018 13:23

raphaelmabo wrote:I would like to see a test/review between Goldring E-series and the new Audio-Technicas. The Goldring is based upon AT-generators and made by AT plus features some of the features of the new AT's such as threaded holes for the screws. No more nuts and bolts. :)
Yes I love the threads too, and the more carts I buy the more I think a bit of simplicity would be nice. My new Grado gold 2 woke me up to what is possible budget and can still be enjoyable yes get it that this or that is not perfect and my Decca is still my fav cart, but talking about just reading a book listening to music. The 3600 has lots of faults but it is a 8 dollar cart and the tap foot factor is there. Very curious about this new at95 range for this reason. A tap foot factor with a bit of finesse, no maybe not the giant killer but it is about the music.
We will see here is hoping..
Chris

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 07 Sep 2018 13:49

cafe latte wrote:I have loads of carts mc mm and mi some with very special cantilevers. Ruby even diamond, but a recent but of a bottom feeder at3600 got me wondering. Massive shock how good it was and yes it has faults, but got me thinking...
Hope you're not misunderstanding me there... I should have added that I have 20 carts already and I'm kinda less interested in experimenting these days...
If I make a purchase, it will most likely be for a cart I had been dreaming of... for example finding an AT-ART9 at like $600...

BMRR
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 07 Sep 2018 19:40

The VM95 series isn't on my personal wish-list just yet, although I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far and I think it's a great move on AT's part. I spend a lot of time repairing and upgrading turntables for friends and family, and I will almost certainly be putting some of these carts on their turntables in the coming months. It represents a great value for music lovers. Even if you're on a shoe string budget, you can start with the VM95C at only $35, and eventually you can upgrade to a nude MicroLine or nude Shibata without ever having to replace the cartridge body — and the upgrade styli are very affordable.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 07 Sep 2018 23:43

BMRR wrote:The VM95 series isn't on my personal wish-list just yet, although I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far and I think it's a great move on AT's part. I spend a lot of time repairing and upgrading turntables for friends and family, and I will almost certainly be putting some of these carts on their turntables in the coming months. It represents a great value for music lovers. Even if you're on a shoe string budget, you can start with the VM95C at only $35, and eventually you can upgrade to a nude MicroLine or nude Shibata without ever having to replace the cartridge body — and the upgrade styli are very affordable.
I have loads of carts and some seriously nice ones, but I want to be at least in the same room when I am listening to my Decca. Last night I was cooking in the next room and I had the at3600 on the Lenco and it was quite enjoyable with added bonus that the Lenco is a gl78 so when the end of the record came I did not have to go rushing back in with greasy cooking hands to turn off the record as the Lenco is semi auto. That said even from the next room the AT3600 is a little untidy and a little strident too but great when it can be had for 8 bucks!! As I said before loving my Grado gold 2 (not on Lenco not compliance match) even for more critical listening. Wondering if one of the new AT95's maybe Shibata might be a possible Lenco critical listening cart, as the Gold was rather a surprise sonics and price. For sure it will be a better cart than the at3600 for doing something else listening.
Wondered if anyone had actually heard the new range yet? Years ago almost everyone had a green stylus on their turntable, I even saw the at95 on a few Sondeks over the years, not sure how I never owned one myself!! Actually I probably have, but dont remember what cart I had on in the 80's :D
Chris

smee4

Post by smee4 » 08 Sep 2018 02:18

Do you know anywhere that is selling them yet? I want one of the heavy tracking 78 stylus versions, and when my current LPgear Vividline stylus on an AT95 gives out, I'll be looking at their microline.

themisto462
Germany

Post by themisto462 » 08 Sep 2018 08:09

I've read on several websites, that the official sale will start at the end of September / early August.
We have to be patient... .

themisto462
Germany

Post by themisto462 » 08 Sep 2018 09:14

themisto462 wrote:I've read on several websites, that the official sale will start at the end of September / early August.
We have to be patient... .
Edit: ...at the end of September / early October.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 08 Sep 2018 11:40

cafe latte wrote:Yes I love the threads too, and the more carts I buy the more I think a bit of simplicity would be nice. (...) The 3600 has lots of faults but it is a 8 dollar cart and the tap foot factor is there. Very curious about this new at95 range for this reason. A tap foot factor with a bit of finesse, no maybe not the giant killer but it is about the music.
I like the threads on the Goldring 2200 and LP Gear The Vessel that I have. :) The Benz MC Silver is sort of a mix in-between the classic style and threaded holes. The cartridge that I found was the most difficult that I've ever mounted was the Denon DL-110. It takes some patience. Sooo much easier with threaded holes.

Oh, I like my Thorens TAS 257 which is essentially an AT3600/AT91. It's fun. :)

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 08 Sep 2018 11:52

Currently listed on thakker.eu, but not available yet...

https://www.thakker.eu/en/cartridges/au ... ge/a-9541/

I might give this one a shot when it is out... a new cart with Shibata stylus for €200 is really not the end of the world if I don't like the result...
I do openly admit I have some bias against aluminum cantilever which stems from comparing my AT-OC9/MLII to the AT-440MLb... the former is simply in control and better focused on details...
We shall see what gives...

BMRR
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 08 Sep 2018 19:49

balky wrote:I do openly admit I have some bias against aluminum cantilever which stems from comparing my AT-OC9/MLII to the AT-440MLb... the former is simply in control and better focused on details...
I have an AT150MLX, which has the same gold-plated boron cantilever as your OC9. I also have an AT440MLb. Call me crazy, but I prefer the 440. :) They both sound great, but the 440 seems to have a bit more punch and a bit more energy. In terms of control and detail, they both sound identical (in my opinion).

It's possible that the differences you hear between your OC9 and 440 are less about the cantilever and more about MC vs. MM.

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 09 Sep 2018 07:28

BMRR wrote:
balky wrote:I do openly admit I have some bias against aluminum cantilever which stems from comparing my AT-OC9/MLII to the AT-440MLb... the former is simply in control and better focused on details...
I have an AT150MLX, which has the same gold-plated boron cantilever as your OC9. I also have an AT440MLb. Call me crazy, but I prefer the 440. :) They both sound great, but the 440 seems to have a bit more punch and a bit more energy. In terms of control and detail, they both sound identical (in my opinion).

It's possible that the differences you hear between your OC9 and 440 are less about the cantilever and more about MC vs. MM.
Yes, it might be possible... but I also compared the OC9 and my Ortofon MC3 turbo, and had the same opinion, so, it might just be bias, maybe a blind test would prove otherwise