New Audio Technica VM95 Series - Next Generation of the AT95

the thin end of the wedge
patient_ot

Re: New Audio Technica VM95 Series - Next Generation of the AT95

Post by patient_ot » 08 Apr 2019 22:33

bhuston wrote:
08 Apr 2019 22:32
Today I tore into the amp. Biggest issue was dirt. Ultimately, the hum was caused by the main selector switch dirty contacts. I believe it also affected the overall sound of everything because as I jiggled it when in a position the signal would fluctuate and hum in and out. So a serious cleaning was necessary including all switches. This thing now sounds fantastic, including the phono preamp. There were two legs of resistors touching on that board so I separated them, maybe that was it. Anyway, I can now hear the AT and it is getting better. I did order a preamp just in case but may not need it now. I'll find out when it gets here. It's a cheapy, nothing to get excited about but I wanted this for something else anyway. Thanks all for the discussion and the cartridge is just fine.

Glad you got it sorted. Anything that old is bound to be pretty dusty inside. Even a laptop that is only a couple years old is usually dustier inside than people think :).

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 08 Apr 2019 22:45

I did some rudimentary measurements today on the ATVM95ML using a cheapo RCA to 1/8'' cable from the rec outs of my integrated amp. Feel free to take this with a grain of salt.

RE: tonearm compatibility, I'm getting 9hz when looking at frequency sweeps and tracking tests from the CBS STR100. That is for both vertical and lateral tracking BTW. My tonearm is 21g EM with the stock headshell and around 23g with the AT aftermarket one. So in case anyone is wondering about tonearm compatibility/compliance matching for arms in the range, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

bhuston
United States of America

Post by bhuston » 08 Apr 2019 23:45

I would imagine that similar response from any of the other styli as well. This speaks well of the cartridge, 9Hz, well below any threshold.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 09 Apr 2019 00:04

bhuston wrote:
08 Apr 2019 23:45
I would imagine that similar response from any of the other styli as well. This speaks well of the cartridge, 9Hz, well below any threshold.
The VM95ML has become my day to day cart. I am very impressed.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12198370

Interpreting the tonearm resonance chart here https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_r ... luator.php , and trying to convert 100Hz dynamic compliance to 10Hz (annoying) mine works out to be about 10Hz resonance on an SME3009 S2 improved. trying to extrapolate for the 21g arm mentioned above would indicate that combo may be even lower, say 7 or 8 hz.

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 09 Apr 2019 04:30

I did not calculate with the chart. I measured with a test record. A test record is more accurate than any chart or calculator.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 09 Apr 2019 06:11

patient_ot wrote:
09 Apr 2019 04:30
I did not calculate with the chart. I measured with a test record. A test record is more accurate than any chart or calculator.
I understand that you used a test record. Still interesting to compare I thought. I just changed my headshell to a wooden one today - about the same mass as the metal one. Not sure what difference it makes. The VM95ML is still sounding great.

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 09 Apr 2019 15:25

smee4 wrote:
09 Apr 2019 06:11
patient_ot wrote:
09 Apr 2019 04:30
I understand that you used a test record. Still interesting to compare I thought. I just changed my headshell to a wooden one today - about the same mass as the metal one. Not sure what difference it makes. The VM95ML is still sounding great.
The problem with trying to convert compliance measurements from 100hz to 10hz is that it's tricky business. There really isn't a surefire way AFAIK. Just guesstimates that keep us away from really bad matches. Once I figured out I could measure the RF I always go by that. Charts and calculators do not take into account damping at the cart or tonearm end, not to mention how a cart performs at different tracking forces.

RE: wooden headshells, I've used them but haven't noticed any real difference.

This site is testing a bunch of headshells:

http://korfaudio.com/blog49

felixbo
Germany

Post by felixbo » 09 Apr 2019 19:14

Hi,
you don´t need an extra test record for measuring the resonance frequency of a cartridge-tonearm system. Put the needle to the lead-out groove of any record. Then wait till the very end and you hear the "tok-tok-tok". This is a stimulus for an oscillation on resonance frequency. Put this into an audio analyser (e.g. audacity) that´s it. Test it.

Cheers Felix
PS: A silent groove on a test will work as well, because even the smalest stimulus of the turning record will lead to an oscillation on f.res.
PPS: Sometimes you will see extra peeks at 1.8Hz, this is the stimulus of the revolving 33.33 / 60s = 1.8 sec. or multiples.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 09 Apr 2019 19:40

patient_ot wrote:
08 Apr 2019 22:45
RE: tonearm compatibility, I'm getting 9hz when looking at frequency sweeps and tracking tests from the CBS STR100. That is for both vertical and lateral tracking BTW. My tonearm is 21g EM with the stock headshell and around 23g with the AT aftermarket one. So in case anyone is wondering about tonearm compatibility/compliance matching for arms in the range, I don't think there is anything to worry about.
What is the make and model of your tonearm?

By the way, I have also been doing some tonearm/cartridge resonance tests. I can confirm you don't need a test record to do this. Just record some music with Audacity, then look at the frequency plot using the "Plot Spectrum" tool on the "Analyze" menu.
You may get some variation in the resonance frequency depending on the music you use, but I don't think I've seen a variation of more than 1 hz up or down. And this mostly goes away as long as you analyze a section that is long enough (the maximum the tool can handle in my configuration is about 4 minutes of audio, at least at 44.1 khz/16bits). I never thought of using the runout groove as the test signal, but that's an interesting idea.

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 09 Apr 2019 19:43

Sunwire wrote:
09 Apr 2019 19:40
patient_ot wrote:
08 Apr 2019 22:45
What is the make and model of your tonearm?

By the way, I have also been doing some tonearm/cartridge resonance tests. I can confirm you don't need a test record to do this. Just record some music with Audacity, then look at the frequency plot using the "Plot Spectrum" tool on the "Analyze" menu.
You may get some variation in the resonance frequency depending on the music you use, but I don't think I've seen a variation of more than 1 hz up or down. And this mostly goes away as long as you analyze a section that is long enough (the maximum the tool can handle in my configuration is about 4 minutes of audio, at least at 44.1 khz/16bits). I never thought of using the runout groove as the test signal, but that's an interesting idea.
Stock tonearm on a JVC QL-F4. Headshell I use on the VM95ML is the HS-6 from AT, which weighs 9g with no hardware. Tonearm with no headshell is spec'd at 14g.

And you are right that you can use music also. With the CBS STR100, I recorded multiple tests on the LP (then viewed in Audacity) and all of them were showing the same RF. So I think my results are pretty good considering I'm using a broadcast grade test record.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 09 Apr 2019 20:00

Yeah, I'm not disputing your results. I'm sure they're fine.
I just want folks to know they don't really need a test record in order to test for tonearm resonance.
I trust my test results far more than using the calculator which depends on inputs that are dubious (tonearm effective mass and cartridge compliance specs from manufacturers).
It's a VERY easy test to perform if you have Audacity, which is free.

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 09 Apr 2019 20:10

Sunwire wrote:
09 Apr 2019 20:00
Yeah, I'm not disputing your results. I'm sure they're fine.
I just want folks to know they don't really need a test record in order to test for tonearm resonance.
I trust my test results far more than using the calculator which depends on inputs that are dubious (tonearm effective mass and cartridge compliance specs from manufacturers).
It's a VERY easy test to perform if you have Audacity, which is free.
Right, a test record is helpful but not necessary for this particular test. I do use Audacity as well, but you can do the same thing with other programs also.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 10 Apr 2019 18:31

patient_ot wrote:
09 Apr 2019 20:10
Right, a test record is helpful but not necessary for this particular test. I do use Audacity as well, but you can do the same thing with other programs also.
I'm interested in trying various tools.
Is there another free program that has a similar or better Spectrum tool?

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 10 Apr 2019 21:18

Sunwire wrote:
10 Apr 2019 18:31
patient_ot wrote:
09 Apr 2019 20:10
I'm interested in trying various tools.
Is there another free program that has a similar or better Spectrum tool?
Most full featured audio analyzers/recording programs cost money. Hard to get something better than Audacity for free. I was using ARTA (demo version) until recently in conjunction with Audacity until recently. That program is useful for creating graphs after you have recorded in Audacity. Right now I'm trying a free VST plugin for Audacity called Bluecat that makes graphs but with less options than ARTA. I've also downloaded some scope programs that I plan to try out but they work in real time only.

The biggest thing that will hold you back from making full use of any program will be not owning a good test record. Most tests will require one. The tonearm resonance test is one of the few you can perform without it.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 11 Apr 2019 00:11

I have lots of test records.