cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: New Audio Technica VM95 Series - Next Generation of the AT95

Post by cafe latte » 08 Jul 2019 21:30

BMRR wrote:
08 Jul 2019 14:24
The 540 is also a four coil generator vs. two coil for the 95, and the 540 has laminated cores vs. unlaminated for the 95. Last but not least they use higher quality coil wire in the 540.
Thanks for the correction appreciated :)
Chris

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 09 Jul 2019 00:11

cafe latte wrote:
07 Jul 2019 22:48

I would be very curious to know differences between frequency plots and cross talk between old body and new, using a new ml stylus on both, is it something you can do?
Chris
Not possible. I don't have an old style 95 body to test. It would also need the same headshell for comparison's sake which isn't exactly cheap at $80. Maybe someone else can do it. I know a few people that have this cartridge and have tested it on other boards. I can tell you both the VM95C and VM95ML are both basically flat out to 20khz, as flat as you can expect a current production cartridge to be at 100pf input capacitance and 47k resistive loading.

Jools45
Great Britain

Post by Jools45 » 12 Aug 2019 14:30

I did a number of tests on 45's, which is a lot of what will travel beneath this VM95c. I have some tests that I do to gauge the stress the stylus puts on the grooves. This starts with using the dreaded Polystyrene molded 45's...which I have in abundance. First was a cuing test. Anyone who has ever tried to back-cue Styrene 45's on an eliptical stylus can tell you, cue-burn happens VERY quickly on them...Sometimes with the very first cue! The VM95c did not show any signs of cue-burn after 25 cue cycles (so 50 passes) at 2.2 grams. The sharper stylus doesn't seem to hurt matters much in this department. This also shows that the stylus tip is quite well polished from the factory, which many are not. A poorly polished stylus will burn a styrene 45 very quickly at first, and then settle down after 10-20 hours of play. Basically using the vinyl to polish it.

All in all, the VM95c seems a good performer for DJ's who back-cue a lot, and also a good choice for playing 45 RPM singles...especially polystyrene ones. It does find cleaner vinyl (or plastic) due to the slightly smaller tips size than the other 0.7 mil styli I have. It is a somewhat brighter sounding cartridge however (relative to the Shure M77-G), so if you system tends to the overly bright side, it may not be the cartridge for you.

Dave O.
[/quote]

Thank you so much for your rewiew and the tests you've published here (especially on styrene 45s). I've found your post very helpful indeed.

I have lots of original 1960s soul 45s. Lots of these are pressed on styrene, and like you say they wear so quickly. (you can almost hear the increased deterioration after each play)! Lots of my 45s are rare and some run well into 4 figures to buy now so replacing them wouldn't even be an option. Caring for my records has always been my top priority, even over the sound quality of the playback on my system.

I've now bought a VM95C (on the strength of you're review and other advice and articles that I have read here on VE) and I'm just running it in by playing some vinyl LPs before I let it loose on my styrene 45s.

So far I'm very impressed with the sound quality. I'm a little older and my hearing ain't what it used to be, but it's sounding alright to me.

I used to use a an AT-95E many moons ago, then switched to Ortofon carts for a good 15+ years, but I must say I'm enjoying my switch back to AT again and loving the VM95C

You've had yours a good while now, how's it holding up?
Are you still finding it kind to your styrene 45s?

Thanks again for the excellent write up.
All the best
Jools

CageyH

Post by CageyH » 15 Oct 2019 06:39

Has anybody modified the VM95 in a similar way to the AT95 yet?
I am just wondering if they benefit in a similar way, or if it will be a waste of time.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 15 Oct 2019 06:53

CageyH wrote:
15 Oct 2019 06:39
Has anybody modified the VM95 in a similar way to the AT95 yet?
I am just wondering if they benefit in a similar way, or if it will be a waste of time.
My VM95ML sounds so good, I haven't felt the need.

CageyH

Post by CageyH » 15 Oct 2019 08:42

I am tempted to try it, but I don't have a VM yet.
I am wondering how easy the generator is to separate from the plastic housing. I fancy the ML, as it should be a fantastic everyday cartridge.

I have a 4 year old daughter, and I have concerns that she will be inquisitive one day and my cantilever will part company with my cartridge.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 15 Oct 2019 12:34

Hello,
The VM has a little screw to hold the plastic bracket on the metal core. The thing is that the screw is concealed under the little label stating the cart reference...
Hope this helps.

CageyH

Post by CageyH » 15 Oct 2019 12:50

Thanks for the info.
I will be placing an order for an ML soon.

dagfinn
Norway

Post by dagfinn » 16 Oct 2019 11:25

CageyH wrote:
15 Oct 2019 08:42
I am tempted to try it, but I don't have a VM yet.
I am wondering how easy the generator is to separate from the plastic housing. I fancy the ML, as it should be a fantastic everyday cartridge.

I have a 4 year old daughter, and I have concerns that she will be inquisitive one day and my cantilever will part company with my cartridge.
I have a 4 year old daughter as well, and she already has tried to brush the stylus like daddy does :shock: . No damage [-o< .
So to satisfy her curiousity, we're just starting practice with her (in the future) Dual 510 with the excellent VM95SH :). Cuing aid and autostop is great, perfect features for her to operate with daddy monitoring :D.

CageyH

Post by CageyH » 16 Oct 2019 18:59

I am not share I would let het loose on an SH. I would probably start with an E and work my way up.
My TT is on a wall shelf, that she cannot reach yet though....

dagfinn
Norway

Post by dagfinn » 16 Oct 2019 21:23

Start slow, lower cuearm only ;). Next, move arm to cue position. But together with me, until she gets a few years older. So I hope she sticks by our agreement :). The cantilever/suspension of the SH feels robust, by the way. And the SH does a fine job on her moms recently found childhood records, surprisingly little surface noise :).