Audio Technica AT95E discontinued

the thin end of the wedge
smee4
long player
long player

Re: Audio Technica AT95E discontinued

Post by smee4 » 02 Feb 2019 22:27

Quality of 3rd party styluses can be variable unfortunately. I note that AT have included a 78 stylus in the new VM95 range.

PioneerFan

Post by PioneerFan » 03 Feb 2019 04:04

cafe latte wrote:
02 Feb 2019 04:21
PioneerFan wrote:
01 Feb 2019 14:15
BMRR wrote:
01 Feb 2019 14:11

And plenty of others have said it's not bright.

You don't like it and that's fine, but why go 'round and 'round in circles about whether it's bright or not? Some people think it is, some people think it's not. Personal taste is just that: personal.
I do like it. But it's clear it's an entry level cartridge. It does represent a tremendous value for what it is.
The AT3600l and the AT95e in fact all AT carts have the magnets before the suspension so the vibrations picked up by the stylus are not damped by the suspension. Decca do something similar apart Decca dont have a suspension which is the reason they have this live in room sound. The AT3600l having magnets before suspension puts it with expensive MC's as nothing else cheap does things this way. It might be entry level but technology is not..
What are your speakers anyway?
Chris
I have many speakers, and many headphones.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 03 Feb 2019 04:24

PioneerFan wrote:
03 Feb 2019 04:04
cafe latte wrote:
02 Feb 2019 04:21
PioneerFan wrote:
01 Feb 2019 14:15

I do like it. But it's clear it's an entry level cartridge. It does represent a tremendous value for what it is.
The AT3600l and the AT95e in fact all AT carts have the magnets before the suspension so the vibrations picked up by the stylus are not damped by the suspension. Decca do something similar apart Decca dont have a suspension which is the reason they have this live in room sound. The AT3600l having magnets before suspension puts it with expensive MC's as nothing else cheap does things this way. It might be entry level but technology is not..
What are your speakers anyway?
Chris
I have many speakers, and many headphones.
List cant be that long which ones?
Chris

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 03 Feb 2019 12:49

The R+D has been done, and those costs have been recouped. The technology has proved itself decades ago. And even though new materials and manufacturing techniques would have been applied to cartridge design (as they are being done now, albeit on a much smaller scale than in previous decades), the bottom-level quality would have improved. Yes, $11 today proves it, despite the comparatively smaller market today. So can someone please explain why cheap turntables are still being sold with ceramic carts installed (apart from the fact that a ceramic cart will cost them $1 to make)?

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 03 Feb 2019 12:51

My sister is a buyer for a larger retailer and buys fashion shoes for like a dollar, we pay many many dollars stuff costs a lot less than we thing especially in big numbers.
Chris

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 03 Feb 2019 21:35

AudioFeline wrote:
03 Feb 2019 12:49

Exactly. The R+D has been done, and those costs have been recouped. The technology has proved itself decades ago. And even though new materials and manufacturing techniques would have been applied to cartridge design (as they are being done now, albeit on a much smaller scale than in previous decades), the bottom-level quality would have improved. Yes, $11 today proves it, despite the comparatively smaller market today. So can someone please explain why cheap turntables are still being sold with ceramic carts installed (apart from the fact that a ceramic cart will cost them $1 to make)?
Actually, quite a few of the cheap Crosley range are indeed now using these same cheap AT3600L carts. It does cost more however, as well as the cart, they need a phono stage added to the electronics.