What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

the thin end of the wedge
Post Reply
mamakasou
senior member
senior member
Greece
Posts: 648
Joined: 30 Dec 2014 15:04

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by mamakasou » 01 Nov 2018 08:25

cafe latte wrote:
01 Nov 2018 05:57
It kind of depends what you mean by eclipsed.. IMO my other carts are different and excel in different areas. Only the Decca has that full sound and detail the rest seem to trade detail for a thin sound stage. For me what is interesting about the AT3600 is you get that performance in the room sound and yes you trade a bit of finesse and detail but hey it is a lovely sound so who cares?
Does it sound better than a mp110? Probably as much as I like my mp500 and appreciate what it does well I like the in room presentation more. Very looking forward to the new ATVM95 range but I bet the cream will be replaced with thin as the stylus gets more exotic. I hope not but that is my bet.
Chris
Chris, in terms of tonality and dynamics, the AT91 (maybe a little inferior to the AT3600?) and the Stanton 500 with D70E (NOS) are identical. But i can concur that the Stanton wins the game in soundstage. Just marginally though.

I will provide some files at some point for auditon.

Your last comment about the "cream getting thinner", is pretty true.
That is usually the tradeoff as you get more "refined" with tip profiles.

For me the 0.2x0.7mil territory, is as "refined" as I am willing to go.

In practice though, for reasons you probably know already, I use a conical tip 80% of the times with the rest 20% being occupied mostly by 0.4x0.7mil ellipticals.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11278
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by cafe latte » 01 Nov 2018 08:33

mamakasou wrote:
01 Nov 2018 08:25
cafe latte wrote:
01 Nov 2018 05:57
It kind of depends what you mean by eclipsed.. IMO my other carts are different and excel in different areas. Only the Decca has that full sound and detail the rest seem to trade detail for a thin sound stage. For me what is interesting about the AT3600 is you get that performance in the room sound and yes you trade a bit of finesse and detail but hey it is a lovely sound so who cares?
Does it sound better than a mp110? Probably as much as I like my mp500 and appreciate what it does well I like the in room presentation more. Very looking forward to the new ATVM95 range but I bet the cream will be replaced with thin as the stylus gets more exotic. I hope not but that is my bet.
Chris
Chris, in terms of tonality and dynamics, the AT91 (maybe a little inferior to the AT3600?) and the Stanton 500 with D70E (NOS) are identical. But i can concur that the Stanton wins the game in soundstage. Just marginally though.

I will provide some files at some point for auditon.

Your last comment about the "cream getting thinner", is pretty true.
That is usually the tradeoff as you get more "refined" with tip profiles.

For me the 0.2x0.7mil territory, is as "refined" as I am willing to go.

In practice though, for reasons you probably know already, I use a conical tip 80% of the times with the rest 20% being occupied mostly by 0.4x0.7mil ellipticals.
I have started spending a lot of time too listening to the cheap conical AT3600. I can pick faults but it is about the experience not critically looking for problems which I have done a lot of over the years. I have found this fun cart which costs nothing and reading or repairing a watch (watches are a hobby) I enjoy music. I have ordered the LP gear 0.3x0.7mm elliptical with still the carbon cantilever curious how it sounds..
Chris

mamakasou
senior member
senior member
Greece
Posts: 648
Joined: 30 Dec 2014 15:04

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by mamakasou » 01 Nov 2018 09:40

The elliptical, will probably sound 'smoother' with better imaging (maybe).
But it will probably lose in boldness, impact and authority.
Which is what it makes this cartridge fun to listen.

Plus, it is not original, which means the tonality might shift a bit.

Let us know!

smee4
long player
long player
Posts: 1132
Joined: 04 Jul 2004 08:07

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by smee4 » 01 Nov 2018 10:59

mamakasou wrote:
01 Nov 2018 09:40
The elliptical, will probably sound 'smoother' with better imaging (maybe).
But it will probably lose in boldness, impact and authority.
Which is what it makes this cartridge fun to listen.

Plus, it is not original, which means the tonality might shift a bit.

Let us know!
I already have one of these ellipticals. I think it sounds much the same, just more detailed. It will be interesting to see what Chris thinks.

T68
senior member
senior member
Sweden
Posts: 426
Joined: 11 Jul 2018 18:41

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by T68 » 01 Nov 2018 11:11

IMG_20181101_115836~2.jpg
(772.1799999999999 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Letting her test her wings on "Learning to Crawl" by Pretenders. Chrissie and the guys sound good!
Will get back with more impressions after some more plays and comparison with my other cartridge, a Shure M75 with an aftermarket elliptical from Jico (at least I think it's a Jico).

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11278
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by cafe latte » 01 Nov 2018 11:43

smee4 wrote:
01 Nov 2018 10:59
mamakasou wrote:
01 Nov 2018 09:40
The elliptical, will probably sound 'smoother' with better imaging (maybe).
But it will probably lose in boldness, impact and authority.
Which is what it makes this cartridge fun to listen.

Plus, it is not original, which means the tonality might shift a bit.

Let us know!
I already have one of these ellipticals. I think it sounds much the same, just more detailed. It will be interesting to see what Chris thinks.
I will post when it arrives. I am hoping it is more subtle detail and the fun factor we love, but expecting to loose some fun, we will see.
Chris

T68
senior member
senior member
Sweden
Posts: 426
Joined: 11 Jul 2018 18:41

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by T68 » 01 Nov 2018 17:50

What about tracking force for this puppy?
The eBay seller says 1.5 - 2.5 grams. But audio technica and others say higher numbers around 3-4 grams for the 3600L...

octavius
member
member
Slovakia
Posts: 222
Joined: 20 Dec 2016 09:18

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by octavius » 01 Nov 2018 17:57

I'm running at 2.5gram and antiskating also 2.5

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5801
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by BMRR » 01 Nov 2018 19:29

T68 wrote:
01 Nov 2018 17:50
What about tracking force for this puppy?
The eBay seller says 1.5 - 2.5 grams. But audio technica and others say higher numbers around 3-4 grams for the 3600L...
I would trust AT before I'd trust a random eBay seller. The AT3600L has a tracking force range of 2.5g to 3.5g, with 3g considered optimal.

T68
senior member
senior member
Sweden
Posts: 426
Joined: 11 Jul 2018 18:41

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by T68 » 01 Nov 2018 20:23

Ok, thanks! I'll try setting it at 3 grams to start with..

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11278
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by cafe latte » 01 Nov 2018 23:19

BMRR wrote:
01 Nov 2018 19:29
T68 wrote:
01 Nov 2018 17:50
What about tracking force for this puppy?
The eBay seller says 1.5 - 2.5 grams. But audio technica and others say higher numbers around 3-4 grams for the 3600L...
I would trust AT before I'd trust a random eBay seller. The AT3600L has a tracking force range of 2.5g to 3.5g, with 3g considered optimal.
The elliptical is supposed to be a gram less, but I am just over 2.5g with conical so dont expect the elliptical to be 1g less than that.
Chris

octavius
member
member
Slovakia
Posts: 222
Joined: 20 Dec 2016 09:18

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by octavius » 02 Nov 2018 20:03

Now I'm listen on AT3600 Michel Jackson album Dangerous in mint condition in very loud (no wife at home)and that is incredible sound from this cart for 12usd

octavius
member
member
Slovakia
Posts: 222
Joined: 20 Dec 2016 09:18

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by octavius » 12 Nov 2018 08:24

Yesterday I bought another AT3600 for $7 :) as spare...

JohannesM
Australia
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 Nov 2018 03:20

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by JohannesM » 25 Nov 2018 23:58

Remember where u bought the AT3600 for that price?

JohannesM
Australia
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 Nov 2018 03:20

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by JohannesM » 25 Nov 2018 23:59

Any one know what the difference id between the AT3600L and AT3600 ?

Post Reply