What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

the thin end of the wedge
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by cafe latte » 24 Sep 2018 23:25

Just bought a genuine Cummings fuel pump and surprise surprise it has made in China stamped on the side. That was a surprise, but I am sure it is good quality..
Chris

]eep
Netherlands

Post by ]eep » 26 Sep 2018 05:13

Wow. Such strong opinions and pages and pages to read... On a €10 cartridge that is tried and tested as long as I am into hifi. I guess this cartridge doesn't come with bragging rights.

I'm getting so tired of the China bashing. Maybe still McCarthy's ghost is wandering around scaring citizens about the evil communists. Not realising we are all very close to a `brave new world` of `1984` ourselves (US as well as EU).

To cut it short, I just bought one for <€10. I know it will be more than ok for my planned use. Playing thriftstore lp's. And really, what are we talking about? I can't even buy a few cartridge bolts for that money.

When I tell people in the thrift store what my turntable costs, or just my Urushi cart, I see peoples eyes open wide in disbelief. Without hearing they'd think I'm crazy. But good sound paired with affordable price will win them over. Have you noticed how much real estate in the shopping mall is for rent since 2008? In my town it's a lot! Like 30%. >$1000 entry price won't win a lot of people over.

Much was said in this thread, but in truth, I don't find it very uplifting. Most are positive but some are very annoying. It's a bit sad really.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 26 Sep 2018 06:00

Well, I finally got around to order the at 3600 from one of the Chinese vendors on the big auction site for 12 dollars.
I also have ordered a new cartridge sled for the headshell on my Dual 1225 so I easily can switch cartridge between the new and current (an aftermarket Tonar for the Dual DMS cartridge).
Really looking forward to trying this out. To bad shipping from China is slooow (but at least free).

ms_enj
Australia

Post by ms_enj » 04 Oct 2018 13:38

https://preview.ibb.co/d2BBCK/IMG_1764_web.jpg

I love my Audio-Technica Shenzhen Special... Currently on an original Rega P1, with the LP Gear CF6500LE stylus. I sold my almost new 2M Blue to a coworker because I like this combo so much better, and on Monday I'll be ordering the ViVid Line stylus for it.

AUD$12.87 delivered just shouldn't sound this good - It's enjoyable to listen to, it has a really clean background, almost no IGD, and aligned to the Rega Stevenson protractor with a 2.35g VTF, it tracks like a champion.

Champagne sound for Crosley money. Highly recommended.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 04 Oct 2018 14:29

I guess these Chinese cartridges are great value ...but I wonder what the labour conditions behind them are ?

Eric Auer

Post by Eric Auer » 04 Oct 2018 15:18

Pauw wrote:I guess these Chinese cartridges are great value ...but I wonder what the labour conditions behind them are ?
Most likely similar to the ones in the factory that made your computer, phone etc.

Eric

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 04 Oct 2018 16:11

T68 wrote: I also have ordered a new cartridge sled for the headshell on my Dual 1225 so I easily can switch cartridge between the new and current (an aftermarket Tonar for the Dual DMS cartridge).
Could I ask where did you order the cartridge sled?

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 04 Oct 2018 17:11

Eric Auer wrote:
Pauw wrote:I guess these Chinese cartridges are great value ...but I wonder what the labour conditions behind them are ?
Most likely similar to the ones in the factory that made your computer, phone etc.

Eric

Eric! You were asked to think NOT to point fingers at others !

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 04 Oct 2018 17:47

ginniegatrit wrote:
T68 wrote: I also have ordered a new cartridge sled for the headshell on my Dual 1225 so I easily can switch cartridge between the new and current (an aftermarket Tonar for the Dual DMS cartridge).
Could I ask where did you order the cartridge sled?
From Ebay, seller williamthakker. Delivery took just a couple of days (to Sweden)

octavius
Slovakia

Post by octavius » 05 Oct 2018 07:06

ms_enj wrote:https://preview.ibb.co/d2BBCK/IMG_1764_web.jpg

I love my Audio-Technica Shenzhen Special... Currently on an original Rega P1, with the LP Gear CF6500LE stylus. I sold my almost new 2M Blue to a coworker because I like this combo so much better, and on Monday I'll be ordering the ViVid Line stylus for it.

AUD$12.87 delivered just shouldn't sound this good - It's enjoyable to listen to, it has a really clean background, almost no IGD, and aligned to the Rega Stevenson protractor with a 2.35g VTF, it tracks like a champion.

Champagne sound for Crosley money. Highly recommended.
I have couple of days this AT3600 from ebay... it tracks like a champion and sound is better than MP-110 for $12 best buy.
What is your stylus from LP Gear? I intended to buy better stylus for this 3600 body but I´m not decided which and where to buy???

ms_enj
Australia

Post by ms_enj » 05 Oct 2018 10:47

octavius wrote: I have couple of days this AT3600 from ebay... it tracks like a champion and sound is better than MP-110 for $12 best buy.
What is your stylus from LP Gear? I intended to buy better stylus for this 3600 body but I´m not decided which and where to buy???
This is the one I have right now, which is a .3x.7 elliptical on a carbon fiber cantilever: https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGCFN6500LE.html

I’ve just ordered this line contact one though. Can’t wait for it to arrive: https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXVL.html

octavius
Slovakia

Post by octavius » 05 Oct 2018 11:12

Wow line contact :) Im very curious what will be your observation when it arrived. [-o<

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 05 Oct 2018 12:42

ms_enj wrote: I’ve just ordered this line contact one though. Can’t wait for it to arrive: https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXVL.html

I have a Vivid line on my AT95. People have said it is actually hyperelliptical, not line contact, despite the name. Still, whatever it is is performs excellently. Will be interesting to try one on an AT3600.

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by james73_2008 » 05 Oct 2018 21:34

Eric Auer wrote:

Eric
Touché.

James H

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 06 Oct 2018 03:15

You could add to that the cloths on your back, even the knives and forks on your dinner table, not forgetting the plates, half the parts in your car, your kitchen cupboards, even the kitchen sink. Be easier to list what is not made in China these days.
Chris