What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

the thin end of the wedge
T68
Sweden

What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by T68 » 22 Aug 2018 11:46

Has anyone dared to try the unfamiliar brands way out east? There's for example some really low cost cartridges on AliExpress, like this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32820386803.html

Are there any serious reviews (haven't found any)?

Are they crappy sounding record killers or is there a good deal to be made?

Are the established brands maybr over-priced?

Woodbrains
England

Re: What about cheap Chinese cartridges?

Post by Woodbrains » 22 Aug 2018 12:25

Hello,

Why is it branded like an Audio Technica? We DON'T like forgeries!

Mike.

kb007
broken record

Post by kb007 » 22 Aug 2018 12:42

I'm sure you'll find someone who's bought one and sings it's praises saying it blows away MCs costing 10's of thousands of dollars and is truly a "giant killer".

Does the fake Rolex you buy in times square work as well and have the same warranty and lifespan as a real Rolex?

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 22 Aug 2018 13:36

Woodbrains wrote:Hello,

Mike.
That's because it probably is just a chinese made Audio Technica AT3600.

And according to a multi-page thread started in another forum, it sounds equally excellent.

This cartridge is similar to my Audio Technica AT91 (carbon fibre cantilever, 0.6mil spherical).

As many others have said, it is ridiculous how well this cartridge sounds.

I have auditioned it(original AT91) head to head against an Audio Technica OC9III Limited edition. The results were astonishing. Must be heard to be believed.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 22 Aug 2018 14:16

Do they do anything similar further up the food chain, if so might get one just to play with.
Chris

Eric Auer

Post by Eric Auer » 22 Aug 2018 14:49

The Made in China 3600 is an excellent cheap cartridge.

Try one. I put a 4211 DE on one and it works and sounds great.
http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... erBase=211

Eric

https://image.ibb.co/i8Sf39/IMG_20180814_0811105.jpg

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 22 Aug 2018 15:36

I picked one up for $11 or so from the bay site and it was labelled AT3600. Basically OEM stuff being sold in a bag.

It works fine, better than a Crosley option. Competent but not a world beater, with limitations expected in a low end cart. Do not go looking for a huge sound stage. I put it on a JVC DD table I sold off to show it works and as a starter cart. For less money the new owner is way better off than a Crosley.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cartridge-Styl ... SwuMZZFBNB

The listing does not show the AT logo but the cartridge had it.

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 22 Aug 2018 16:01

spensar wrote:I picked one up for $11 or so from the bay site and it was labelled AT3600. Basically OEM stuff being sold in a bag.

It works fine, better than a Crosley option. Competent but not a world beater, with limitations expected in a low end cart. Do not go looking for a huge sound stage. I put it on a JVC DD table I sold off to show it works and as a starter cart. For less money the new owner is way better off than a Crosley.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cartridge-Styl ... SwuMZZFBNB

The listing does not show the AT logo but the cartridge had it.
I do not know if this chinese AT3600 sounds exactly the same as my AT91. But i suppose they do since they share the same body and their styli is quite similar. Both medium compliance 0.6mil sphericals with a carbon fibre cantilever. Correct me if I am wrong.

My point is that if these are the same, then the soundstage is pretty competent. I was astonished by how well it sounds. Regarding soundstage in particular, it is pretty wide and deep. Wider than its more expensive MC cousin, the AT OC9III LTD. The only point that the MC was superior, was imaging. But this is pretty easy to achieve when soundstage is pretty narrow.

The difficult task is to have an accurate imaging while having a wide and deep soundstage. And even harder, to achieve all the above without sounding too artificial and bright.

Basically, in terms of tonality and overall enjoyment, i dare say that I was more impressed by the AT91 than by the AT OC9III LTD. But, that's just me and it doesn't mean the ATO9 doesn't sound great.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 22 Aug 2018 16:05

Can't go wrong for $34 with the LP Gear CF3600le with the .3 x .7 elliptical. Way better than the AT95e IMO.

beat_truck

Post by beat_truck » 22 Aug 2018 17:30

I've also read the nearly 20 page thread on the other forum about the Chinese-made AT3600L. Nearly everyone that has bought them has been very impressed with the sound and they also say that they track very well in the 2-3 gram range. I have an AT CN5625AL, which has been discontinued. :? I like it very much and have been thinking about picking up one of these to try. For less than $12 shipped from ebay, why not?

jmchrislip

Post by jmchrislip » 22 Aug 2018 20:16

I have a AT CN5625AL. It sounds very good for under $20.00. I think it really shines on a good turntable. I heard so much about it I had to try one.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 24 Aug 2018 04:52

A product isn't a forgery or knock-off just because it's made in China. My Apple MacBook Pro, Apple iPhone 7, Apple iPad, Sony 40" LED TV, Yamaha integrated amp, BIC speakers, Panasonic Blu-Ray player, LG microwave oven -- all made in China, all genuine. None are forgeries or knock-offs.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 24 Aug 2018 06:29

Hi Woodbrains,

We seem to like Little Bear phono stages pretty well. They may not look like Ear phono stages, but if you compare the schematics they are very close.

Phil
Woodbrains wrote:Hello,

Mike.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 24 Aug 2018 09:24

Hello,

I'm not knocking Chinese stuff, I just didn't understand why the AT logo was on a Chinese cart when AT are Japanese. It wasn't advertised as AT in the spec, but some other Chinese brand 'Binyeae'. If AT are licencing the manufacture of some of its products to Chinese manufacturers, it should have been listed as an AT cart to avoid confusion. On the face of it, it looked to me as some sort of forgery.

Are little bear phono stages any good, I haven't tried one, but aren't averse to doing so?

Mike.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 24 Aug 2018 16:28

BMRR wrote:
A product isn't a forgery or knock-off just because it's made in China. My Apple MacBook Pro, Apple iPhone 7, Apple iPad, Sony 40" LED TV, Yamaha integrated amp, BIC speakers, Panasonic Blu-Ray player, LG microwave oven -- all made in China, all genuine. None are forgeries or knock-offs.

Hey BMRR, are your BIC speakers of the vintage variety? I ran with BIC Model 44's from 1980-1990 or so. Miss those 10 inch woofer three ways! They rocked the house!(until my roommate put a beer bottle through one of them!)
BIC 44.jpg
(15.2 KiB) Downloaded 1506 times