Stylus recommendations for Panasonic 2700-II : SL-23A

the thin end of the wedge
theslut

Stylus recommendations for Panasonic 2700-II : SL-23A

Post by theslut » 20 Aug 2018 08:40

I have purchased a second hand Technics SL-23A which is a very nice unit. So far, I prefer it over my Audio Technica LP120USB model, which I find a bit overrated.

The SL-23A came equipped with a Panasonic 2700-II cartridge and unknown stylus. I know there's nothing fancy there so would maybe be looking to upgrade at some point.

My preamp stage is the Art DJPRE II going into put my computer and my amp is a Marantz 2225. I have a switch that will allow me to use the phono on my Marantz if I don't want to go through the computer.

I am looking for a cartridge/stylus (max $250) suitable mostly for heavy metal, hard rock, and death metal that isn't going to exacerbate sibilance and has as low IGD as possible and has good bass and midrange response and not too treble-y.

Firstly, is the Panasonic cartridge worth keeping? If so, what stylus should I be looking at to fit it?

If the Panasonic isn't worth keeping then what would be a good cartridge combo for my SL-23A for my criteria above?

Edit : Thinking about an Ortofon 2M Blue Plug N Play.

Thanks in advance.

pikotaboada

Re: Stylus recommendations for Panasonic 2700-II : SL-23A

Post by pikotaboada » 20 Aug 2018 09:36

Hi! Congrats on your new purchase! The Panasonic you mention is also known as Technics EPC 270C-II, and it's the cartridge I'm currently using. I listen to rock and heavy metal on this cartridge and I really like it. You can try buying a replacement stylus from Jico to see if you like the sound. I think they have an elliptical and a conical version.

theslut

Re: Stylus recommendations for Panasonic 2700-II : SL-23A

Post by theslut » 21 Aug 2018 07:07

Couldn't see any prices or purchasing options for a compatible stylus. I will probably buy the Ortofon 2M blue if it works well with my SL-23.