Garrard MRM 101 Phono Pre

the thin end of the wedge
Loader

Garrard MRM 101 Phono Pre

Post by Loader » 08 Aug 2018 16:34

Hi guys,

some weeks ago a friend of mine found the Phonp Pre on a Flea Market here in town.
As the asked price was too high in my opinion, I told my friend on the cellphone not to
buy. Recently my friend met the seller again and managed to negotiate the price down
to below half of first price and just bought it. After having installed the Pre in order to have
an impression, how it sounds i didn't believe my ears. That Pre is best i ever heard and I
have heard some. My last was a Tube Phono Pre designed by Gordon Rankin from
Wavelength and that one is really good. Anyway, as the Garrard 101 is intended as a Music
Recovery Module, which can eliminize bad cracks, no one would believe that it is such a
awesome performer. I tried out the crack feature, which works very good, but as I don't
own cracky vinyl, I don't need it. The specs with supressor switched of, sound awesome, too:

Dynamics: >100dB
THD@! Khz: >0,01%
RIAA Freq. Curve within +- 0,25 dB

So my recommendation to anyone here: get one, if offered or seen. You will not regret it !
Garrard_1_klein.jpg
(536.47 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Garrard_2_klein.jpg
(460.46 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
IMG_20180715_143114_2.jpg
(432.58 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Phono-lover
United States of America

Re: Garrard MRM 101 Phono Pre

Post by Phono-lover » 08 Aug 2018 19:23

Good to hear yours is a good performer. I bought one of these and an SAE 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction units many years ago and was disappointed by both. I decided it was better to just keep my records clean and bought an ultrasonic cleaner.
I never took the cover off of my Garrard and am impressed with the construction. It does appear to be well made. All the manuals are in the Library for the curious.

Loader

Post by Loader » 08 Aug 2018 19:42

Phono-lover wrote:Good to hear yours is a good performer. I bought one of these and an SAE 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction units many years ago and was disappointed by both. I decided it was better to just keep my records clean and bought an ultrasonic cleaner.
I never took the cover off of my Garrard and am impressed with the construction. It does appear to be well made. All the manuals are in the Library for the curious.
The Supressor is not in my focus. It's just the Phono Pre Stage that is outstanding, impressive...you name it. Nothing compares to clarity and distortion level of this device. When you go next to the tweeter with your ear, in normal volume setting running idle with no sound on, you'll hear absoltely nothing. No hum or noise like with almost all other Pre's. Tested nearly all my carts: MM's,MI's and MC's. Even those, I allways thought to be limited due to their setup, perform like a charm now. [-o<

starboy

Post by starboy » 07 Jan 2019 16:56

Though the MRM-101 is in a case made from toffee the internals are well made and it was designed by none other than Bob Carver for Garrard.

I own these phonostages: Nagra BPS (battery), Mark Travis (valve) and the MRM–101.

When paired with a Hashimoto step up transformer I have used it with some high end cartridges and enjoyed its sound.

Mine was beautifully re-cased and can be seen here:

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/1112?page=2

Loader

Post by Loader » 11 Jan 2019 19:10

starboy wrote:
07 Jan 2019 16:56
Though the MRM-101 is in a case made from toffee the internals are well made and it was designed by none other than Bob Carver for Garrard.

I own these phonostages: Nagra BPS (battery), Mark Travis (valve) and the MRM–101.

When paired with a Hashimoto step up transformer I have used it with some high end cartridges and enjoyed its sound.

Mine was beautifully re-cased and can be seen here:

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/1112?page=2
Wow, what a beautiful MRM 101 case with 'chickenhead' turrets =D>

Very nice gear and stylish ambiance as well =D> My sincere congrats [-o<