looking for a new cartridge

the thin end of the wedge
Sleepwalker65
broken record

Re: looking for a new cartridge

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 18 Jul 2018 07:32

a.wayne wrote:
Have you heard the new AT VL540ML , plenty hoop la about them lately ... :)
I’ve got a couple Of VM540ML cartridges. One on my Technics SL-Q2 direct drive quartz locked turntable, which has excellent performance, if a little bass-heavy. The other VM540ML is going on a Technics SL-1700mk2 that I’m restoring. $250 on Amazon. I’d recommend it.

Asteroid

Post by Asteroid » 18 Jul 2018 09:21

br158 wrote:Hello to all. I'm looking for a cartridge as well. I think. I have a Technics SL 230 that I put a new belt and cork mat on. It has been in a box for decades but runs beautifully . It has a Grado MT+ . Any room for
improvement ? Staying with MM since its going through an Onkyo 8050 reciever.

Thanks to all
MB
I recently bought a Grado MT+ body (800ohm) and fitted it up with a new Black1 stylus. It was only meant as a cheap experiment as I've never had a vintage cartridge, but it sounds just fantastic and even tracks well. I don't know if it's some unexpected synergy with my HTD4.5 (similar to LP1240) turntable or what but my plans for an AT-7V/ VMN540ML hybrid are on the back burner!

The current stylus seem just fine in the M series body, so maybe try it out.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 18 Jul 2018 09:26

justjed0001 wrote:raphaelmabo: You are correct, and I was wrong about the Moonstone. I feel even dumber, as I was confusing the Sumiko with the Vessel A3SV. Both are good alternatives to the Ortofon 2M Blue or Bronze.

As for the Moonstone, do you know if they may be using either a 'special' elliptical or a nude elliptical stylus to go with the upgraded cantilever? I can find little information online as of yet, and both the Sumiko and Vessel cartridges look interesting to me.
Easy to confuse them, and The Vessel's are also made by Excel in Japan as the Sumiko's. According to Sumiko's specs the stylus is identical between the Moonstone and Olympia.

It seems like The Vessel and the Sumiko has the same basic character (I do have a Vessel A3SE laying around here :) ) but I would say that Sumiko is more 3D, and The Vessels are more about musical enjoyment, rhythm and flow, that is when comparing a Sumiko Pearl with a The Vessel. But quite similar in tonal character. I have yet to hear the new Rainer-Olympia-Moonstone. I just know that Sumiko claims that they are more dynamic sounding than the Pearl so they should be more open sounding.

The Vessel's uses their own generators, they have lower output than Sumiko's models. But it do seems like The Vessels uses the same stylus and cantilever assembly as Sumiko's older Oyster serie (Pearl and Black Pearl) even if they don't use the same stylus shape or cantilever material. The new Oysters from Sumiko has an upgraded one. But I can't say if the quite possible better assembly for the Sumiko's means a sonical improvement over a The Vessel with a finer stylus profile, but it should give a better sonical performance than a The Vessel with a standard elliptical.

I haven't heard the A3SV, but A3SE is a good one, a good buy so I believe the A3SV would be great too. Here's a nice review:
https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/h ... cartridge/

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 18 Jul 2018 09:29

Cdaddy7 wrote:So, it turns out I have a Ortofon OM 30 cart in my 59L, that for some reason had a Grado stylus put in it. Not sure why, but that is what I have. The shop I bought the turntable from "put it together" for me when the deck was purchased. I think it was intended to "get me by" until I could get a better one. It was so long ago it's hard to remember accurately.

Question is, do you think it would be worth getting a new Ortofon stylus for the om 30 cart, or just go with a whole different setup??
Grado stylus in an OM cartridge? How have they succeeded in doing that? It shouldn't fit!
Anyway, an OM 30 stylus is below 300 USD and would be an excellent buy and a good match for your tonearm. A neutral, detailed, if slightly laidback, sound. Great soundstage! I had the OM 20, and OM 30 should be even better in most aspects of sound.

justjed0001
United States of America

Post by justjed0001 » 18 Jul 2018 23:26

If I remember correctly, the OM-30 stylus is a Line Contact, and is about the equivalent of a 2M Bronze. I would keep the OM body and get a new stylus for it. They're not exactly cheap, but it is a good cartridge, and likely a good match for that arm. You could also go with the OM-20, the equivalent of a 2M Blue. Still a pretty good sound, but not as good as the OM-30.

a.wayne
broken record

Post by a.wayne » 19 Jul 2018 00:18

Wait , what ! a grado stylus will fit an OM30 .... ?

Rofl :)

a.wayne
broken record

Post by a.wayne » 19 Jul 2018 00:27

raphaelmabo wrote:
Cdaddy7 wrote:So, it turns out I have a Ortofon OM 30 cart in my 59L, that for some reason had a Grado stylus put in it. Not sure why, but that is what I have. The shop I bought the turntable from "put it together" for me when the deck was purchased. I think it was intended to "get me by" until I could get a better one. It was so long ago it's hard to remember accurately.

Question is, do you think it would be worth getting a new Ortofon stylus for the om 30 cart, or just go with a whole different setup??
Grado stylus in an OM cartridge? How have they succeeded in doing that? It shouldn't fit!
Anyway, an OM 30 stylus is below 300 USD and would be an excellent buy and a good match for your tonearm. A neutral, detailed, if slightly laidback, sound. Great soundstage! I had the OM 20, and OM 30 should be even better in most aspects of sound.

Surely you Jest ...? :)

They are 300.00 USD for original OEM , is an OM30 better than a new Bronze , plenty competition around at that cost , the 500.00 and under bracket is pretty crowed ..

Has anyone tried this replacement : https://www.lpgear.com/product/ORTSOM30S.html

Regards

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 19 Jul 2018 11:54

LP Gear sells original OM 30 stylus for 250 USD. It has a nude line stylus.
https://www.lpgear.com/product/ORS030.html

I don’t know about their own branded replacement stylus for it, I notice theirs has a Vivid Line. Is Vivid Line just their name for a line stylus? If I still had my OM then it is possible that I would give LP Gears own replacement a try.

Edit: It seems like LP Gears Vivid Line is not really a line contact but a hyperelliptical - so it’s finer than an elliptical but it’s not a line contact. But still, it’s 120 USD less than an original OM 30 stylus. Worth a try IMHO.

Cdaddy7

Post by Cdaddy7 » 21 Jul 2018 16:05

Grado and OM 30
Yes you are correct, it is not a joining from the outerlimits.
my apologies.

the om 30 was damaged and returned to the store by a previous buyer, the salesman tried to fix it, sold it to me for around $50 (in 1988), but it never worked properly.

have a Grado Elliptical ZF3E+ mounted to the 59l now, but looking to upgrade.

Sorry for the confusion on my part, but remembering slowly, with the Help of friends that were around at that time.

again your Help is greatly appreciated, as obviously i need it, thanks

Straker62
Italy

Post by Straker62 » 22 Jul 2018 13:52

You can also consider to upgrade to an OM40 stylus (300$), even if some people do prefer the sound of OM30 to the OM40 one. Aniway, as already suggested, the Ortofon Om series is a perfect match for the stock straight light tonearm of the DP-59L (there was also an optional s-shaped medium mass one, according to the user manual), so the best thing you can do it's just to buy the best stylus you can afford for your high compliance Ortofon OM: OM 30 and OM40 are both excellent stylus.

Cdaddy7

Post by Cdaddy7 » 25 Jul 2018 04:04

OK so LP gear om30 or om40?
can someone comment on the difference from a nude line, and a shibata.
not sure what difference would be heard between the 2, as I have never had the pleasure of hearing either.

thank you

Cdaddy7

Post by Cdaddy7 » 16 Sep 2018 04:32

so I ended up purchasing an Ortofon Super OM10 setting it up, it played fine for a new cart. then I switched the stylus to the OM30 I had. It plays wonderfully!
It must have been a bad "body" on the old cart.
Thanks again for all the information, I have a good sounding set up now, and a path for upgrades in the future.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 16 Sep 2018 05:39

Cdaddy7 wrote:I have an Adcom preamp (and amp 555 series), which has the mm/mc switch.
I do not have an SUT otherwise.
So I'm guessing MM would be suggested?
Certainly, if you've got kids around. - styli are user replaceable.
MC's usually need to be sent out to be retipped,(expensively) not a nice thing to worry about if a kid slops it up for you.