Anyone compared a Grado gold 1 to the newer Gold 2?

the thin end of the wedge
a.wayne
broken record

Re: Anyone compared a Grado gold 1 to the newer Gold 2?

Post by a.wayne » 16 Jul 2018 16:47

How is surface noise ? also i noticed those selling dont list the 8MZ as being bonded , can anyone confirm these new replacements are bonded ....

Regards

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 16 Jul 2018 18:56

raphaelmabo wrote:Grado's cartridge range may seem complex, but let me try to sort things out.
Understood. What is not made clear, even by Grado, is what the differences are in their stylus diamond's. They just refer to them as elliptical. Knowing for instance that from the blue to the gold having a 4 piece otl cantilever, there is no information as to why a replacement stylus costs from 80 for the blue up to 150 for the gold. What makes the blue different from the gold if they share the same 4 piece otl cantilever and the unknown question of the stylus diamond. They are ambiguous and not forthcoming about this as other cartridge makers. Where the quality of the styli become higher quality as the price goes up. It just seems to taint their credibility of what your paying for when you buy another stylus for this cartridge line.

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 16 Jul 2018 20:22

rewfew wrote:
raphaelmabo wrote:Grado's cartridge range may seem complex, but let me try to sort things out.
Understood. What is not made clear, even by Grado, is what the differences are in their stylus diamond's. They just refer to them as elliptical. Knowing for instance that from the blue to the gold having a 4 piece otl cantilever, there is no information as to why a replacement stylus costs from 80 for the blue up to 150 for the gold. What makes the blue different from the gold if they share the same 4 piece otl cantilever and the unknown question of the stylus diamond. They are ambiguous and not forthcoming about this as other cartridge makers. Where the quality of the styli become higher quality as the price goes up. It just seems to taint their credibility of what your paying for when you buy another stylus for this cartridge line.
They do not give out information.
Why would they, since people keep buying their stuff blindly?

If they can earn some cash, while denying publishing detailed specs, it's a bonus to them.

That way, they can charge any amount as long as they maintain a nice narrative, alongside cosmetic changes. In other words, just by marketing and of the devious kind.

I do not like that.

Maybe Grado carts sound good, but I will know only and if a grado lands on my lap, for free. Otherwise, I'd never consider buying stuff from a company that doesn't disclose basic info about their products.

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 16 Jul 2018 23:54

a.wayne wrote:How is surface noise ? also i noticed those selling dont list the 8MZ as being bonded , can anyone confirm these new replacements are bonded ....

Regards
The 8MZ I bought at least 2 years ago is bonded. I assume they all are now. Only have had time for about a half hour audition time so far.

der

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 17 Jul 2018 15:34

mamakasou wrote:They do not give out information.
I tend to agree now. I'd emailed them about any specifics. But got vague answers. Near as I can tell, from blue to gold, your paying progressively more money for the exact same stylus and cantilever. Only the color of the dots change. That's 80 to 150 bucks. I think it's their little cash cow. As stylus replacement can't be a high yield return. Keep it in mind if you need to replace a stylus for the prestige line. Or try that 8mz. Put's a bit of pessimism in their vaunted family values business.

BMRR
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 17 Jul 2018 15:37

All families have secrets. :wink:

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 17 Jul 2018 17:47

rewfew wrote:
mamakasou wrote:They do not give out information.
I tend to agree now. I'd emailed them about any specifics. But got vague answers. Near as I can tell, from blue to gold, your paying progressively more money for the exact same stylus and cantilever. Only the color of the dots change. That's 80 to 150 bucks. I think it's their little cash cow. As stylus replacement can't be a high yield return. Keep it in mind if you need to replace a stylus for the prestige line. Or try that 8mz. Put's a bit of pessimism in their vaunted family values business.
It IS a cash cow, as you say.. :wink:

They pull the same trick with their headphones.
They start with charging 80 bucks for the base model and go up to a thousand bucks for their "TOTL"..! #-o

Essentially what they do, is to market the exact same headphones, by just adding a few extra cosmetic embellishments, like glued-on wood and thicker earpads. Of course they charge a premium for this meaningless additions.
Yet, the most important parts (the driver and the flimsy frame), remain the same in all models. :lol:

It's a ridiculously simple "recipe", but suckers keep buying them.
Of course, Grado is not the only company to do that. But I think they overdo it...

The "audiophile" press is also to blame here, for treating their readers like idiots.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Post by raphaelmabo » 17 Jul 2018 18:28

I think you are a bit unfair to Grado now. A Gold doesn't sound as a Black or Blue even if the cantilever and stylus is the same. First we have the thing with sample variation, all cartridges has this. This means that no stylus, cantilever or generator is 100 percent identical. So what Grado do, is that they sell those cartridges and stylus/cantilevers that meets a tighter or strict tolerances at a higher price, because they perform better in their own in-house tests.

I like this idea, because you know what you got. The maker has done the selection from the production and clearly labeled them. Then it is up to you if you want to pay for the better sample or not.

Then they have changes in the generators etc, exactly what those changes are - well I have no problem with them being tightly lipped here.

The specifications differ:
Frequency: 10 Hz - 55 kHz (Blue and Red), 10 Hz - 60 kHz (Silver and Gold).
Channel separation: 30 dB (Blue and Red), 35 dB (Silver and Gold).

So something has been done. :)

As for their headphones, they don't sound the same. I have the Grado SR60 and love mine. I have auditioned the SR80's and do found them to be better, but not enough for me to swap my 60's for them.

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 17 Jul 2018 19:22

I would love for someone to buy the entire Prestige range and put it through some tests and examinations under a microscope. I'm not a fan of all the obfuscation and games Grado plays either. Most other cart manufacturers are a lot more up front in terms of what you get when you part with your hard earned dollars.

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 17 Jul 2018 19:36

raphaelmabo wrote:
I like this idea, because you know what you got.
Well, with Grado, it's the other way around.
You do not know what you paid for.

They deny disclosing basic information to their customers.
Like tip profile.

Even if you contact them as a customer and kindly ask for it.

PS:
Regarding the headphones, I never said they sound identical.
I said that they all share the same driver and the same flimsy frame.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Post by raphaelmabo » 17 Jul 2018 20:02

Well they do say it is a "Grado special elliptical". That's enough for me. I don't need more information than that. :)
And, the Blue-Red and Silver-Gold does not have same specs, there are differences in frequency range and channel separation. But which one that sounds the best, well... I know those that loves the Gold and those that loves the Black. I know those that has changed from the much more expensive Linn Addikt cartridge to a cheap'n cheerful AT95... What's sounds best is so much about personal taste.

Laila1

Post by Laila1 » 17 Jul 2018 21:00

raphaelmabo wrote: .....
The specifications differ:
Frequency: 10 Hz - 55 kHz (Blue and Red), 10 Hz - 60 kHz (Silver and Gold).
Channel separation: 30 dB (Blue and Red), 35 dB (Silver and Gold). ....
Ok, I can tell you that the channel separation for the Gold2 is about 25 dB or one or two dB more(I have measured two of them). The resistanse is about 700 Ohms not the specified 475 etc etc. When I mailed Grado asking for the right values they repeted the false values that exists on their website. Do not read me wrong, I really think that the Grado Gold2 is a very good cartridge(especially for the prise).

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 17 Jul 2018 21:17

raphaelmabo wrote:Well they do say it is a "Grado special elliptical". That's enough for me. I don't need more information than that.
And they appreciate and depend on customers that take their face value. So they buy a gold replacement stylus for their gold cartridge. When a blue stylus at almost half the price is the exact same assembly and cut diamond as the gold. That's the whole crux of this. They're unethically misrepresenting a product, (a replacement stylus), by charging more by virtue of it's presumed greater quality. Painted dots don't contribute to quality here.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Post by raphaelmabo » 17 Jul 2018 21:43

Ok, so don't buy it then. Who's forcing you? You decide yourself what you do with your money. :)

TD 166 MKII

Post by TD 166 MKII » 17 Jul 2018 21:50

=
raphaelmabo wrote:Ok, so don't buy it then. Who's forcing you? You decide yourself what you do with your money. :)
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D