Anyone compared a Grado gold 1 to the newer Gold 2?

the thin end of the wedge
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Anyone compared a Grado gold 1 to the newer Gold 2?

Post by cafe latte » 14 Jul 2018 09:45

Loving my new Gold 2, it sounds way better than any 220 dollar cart has any right too, it sounds far cleaner and more detailed in the highs than my Platinum woody (original version). My Grado statement reference is of course amazing, but the new humble gold is so very very good considering the money. How different is the new gold 2 sonically to the older gold versions? I am guessing judging from my Platinum wood quite a bit, but would be interesting to here someone who has directly compared the two or even the three (original gold, then gold 1 and the new 2).
Cheers
Chris

Straker62
Italy

Re: Anyone compared a Grado gold 1 to the newer Gold 2?

Post by Straker62 » 14 Jul 2018 13:44

I add another question: is anyone out there that has fitted an 8mz stylus in a prestige series 2 body? The 8mz is considered a better stylus than the Gold. It seems that in the gold 2 the body is different from series 1, not the stylus. Thus a 8mz on a Gold 2 should sound even better that the original.

TD 166 MKII

Post by TD 166 MKII » 15 Jul 2018 07:18

When I spoke with the sales rep at Grado, I asked about the 8mz and he said that everyone is so misled by that Stylus and is/was made special for an older series of Cart. I believe the F, anyhow he said that it should not be used on any other as it would be a waist of money.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 15 Jul 2018 07:53

TD 166 MKII wrote:When I spoke with the sales rep at Grado, I asked about the 8mz and he said that everyone is so misled by that Stylus and is/was made special for an older series of Cart. I believe the F, anyhow he said that it should not be used on any other as it would be a waist of money.
I would expect them to say that to be honest as if it did make a difference a lot of people then ask why is a better stylus not made for the gold. There are enough people saying it does make a positive difference to say it probably does everyone cant be deluded. Question is is needed for gold 2?
Chris

TD 166 MKII

Post by TD 166 MKII » 15 Jul 2018 08:45

[/quote]
I would expect them to say that to be honest as if it did make a difference a lot of people then ask why is a better stylus not made for the gold. There are enough people saying it does make a positive difference to say it probably does everyone cant be deluded. Question is is needed for gold 2?
Chris[/quote]
The thing is that Grado makes the Carts. a certain way and I do like the Grado sound as I find it to be very Studio sounding, very personal and isolating, you almost get the feel of the Sound room. When I have read those that have added a 8mz they tend to say, it sounds much better the mids and highs are quite more responsive, so I have to ask myself then why did they buy the Cart. in the first place and not get a Audio Technica.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 15 Jul 2018 12:19

Grado are selling a big range of carts some cost half a house, I am still convinced better stylus on a humble gold will take you maybe half way up the range. The old 8mz was nude, the new one is bonded so for sure the old was way better than was available with a standard gold. As far as I understand the new 8mz is still better than the gold but not as good as it was for sure (bonded vs nude) so there really is something in the talk online IMO. It is not in Grado's interest that people mod the cheaper carts to be better this reduces sales up the range, so not surprised at their response at all.
Chris

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 15 Jul 2018 14:51

Now I've gotten kind of half ars'd interested in the Grado line. Though there isn't much clarity for my initial investigation of what differences there are in the Prestige line of stylus's. They simply say, mounted on brass bushing and elliptical. That's all I seem to see on their website. But, they get more expensive as they move up the ladder for sure, indicating some possible refinement, probably? Anyone got some moxie on just what they do, when they do what they do with the diamonds?

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 15 Jul 2018 15:33

I have a Black2 that I like quite a bit. I also have a bonded 8MZ that I've wanted to try in the Black2 but the stylus seems impossible to remove. Feels like it's glued in. I don't want to pull too hard. My Black2 came directly from John Grado.

der

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 15 Jul 2018 15:38

rewfew wrote:Now I've gotten kind of half ars'd interested in the Grado line. Though there isn't much clarity for my initial investigation of what differences there are in the Prestige line of stylus's. They simply say, mounted on brass bushing and elliptical. That's all I seem to see on their website. But, they get more expensive as they move up the ladder for sure, indicating some possible refinement, probably? Anyone got some moxie on just what they do, when they do what they do with the diamonds?
If we were to judge from their headphones line-up, I wouldn't be surprised if someone found out that, in each series, all models share a single tip profile.

BMRR
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 15 Jul 2018 18:30

rewfew wrote:Though there isn't much clarity for my initial investigation of what differences there are in the Prestige line of stylus's. They simply say, mounted on brass bushing and elliptical. That's all I seem to see on their website.
I haven't visited their web site in a while, but they always used to say that the Black and Green styli have 3-piece cantilevers, and the rest of the styli have 4-piece cantilevers.

It is true that all of the Prestige styli share the same bonded elliptical diamond. I believe it's a .3x.7mil for all of them.

In the not so distant past, they offered a much wider variety of diamond shapes and sizes, such as .5mil spherical, .3x.6mil elliptical, .3x.7mil elliptical, "Special Grado Elliptical," "Grado Type," and "Twin Tip."

I have an older Grado stylus in my possession that appears to have a nude diamond, but without a microscope I can't tell what shape or size the diamond is. The color of the stylus grip and the color of the stylus dots are a match for at least three different types of discontinued Grado styli, all of which have different types of diamonds. :?

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 15 Jul 2018 23:48

I understood the gold stylus was 0.2x7 and the rest were 0.3x7, removal needs the stylus removal tool as the black goop makes it hard to remove, it is a simple job with the tool.
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 15 Jul 2018 23:58

Black and green have three piece cantilever.
Blue and red have four piece as does silver and gold, but silver and gold have better coils and apparently gold has better tip but no proof of this.
Chris

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 16 Jul 2018 00:33

This ambiguity has apparently been going on for some time, as a Audiokarma post from 2007 spells out. Copied and pasted. "OK,I talked to THE MAN JHON GRADO HIMSELF TODAY.I talked to him for 15 min.He said "the styless for each cartrage has some differances". When I asked him to explain them to me, to clear this up he said rather than go into a long explination I'll fax you something from my sight ,All the info is there right out in the open."it's public" I asked him to please underline or circle the part that explained the differances in the styleses,He said he would .I got his fax nothing was underlined or circled and it was the opening page discribing the Presteage seris cartridges we have all seen .He said if I needed further Help to call him back so I did and got his answering machein.I am not going to take this further if a blue styles in a gold cartridge makes you happy and you save a few bucks that can't be wrong. I can't belive I'm about to say this but ,"IM DOWN WITH FISH STINK!"
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... 771/page-2
So, who knows. On one hand, they make nice well regarded cartridges by many. And on the other, something's kind of rank about all their ambiguity and price with their replacement styli. As one of the posters said, just buy the blue for your gold or silver and don't worry about it. If anyone can find anything definitive instead of hearsay that'd be interesting to note. Still thinking about getting a red maybe.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Post by raphaelmabo » 16 Jul 2018 08:32

Grado's cartridge range may seem complex, but let me try to sort things out. :)
They have three base models in their Prestige range, at different price levels: Black, Blue and Silver. They have some minor differences between them in terms of stylus, cantilever and generator.
Each of these models have in turn the very same model in a special edition version: Green, Red and Gold.

When you make a cartridge, there will always be sample variation, and the special edition models are simply the base model that measures better than the others, it is a hand selection of the best ones of the base model with tighter standard and higher criteria than the base model.

So the Green is a Black that performs better, but it has the same stylus, cantilever and generator as a Black. Just with a slightly better performance. The Red is a better version of the Blue and Gold is a better version of the Silver.

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 16 Jul 2018 14:50

This morning I finally installed my 8MZ in my Black2 body. I am doing some extension listening in an attempt to hear an improvement. My bonded 8MZ was $100 when I bought. The Black2 was just $75. My initial impression is that separation is improved but I want to listen to a lot of material before I make a real judgement.

der