the home of the turntable

This is so totally genuine.....NOT!

the thin end of the wedge

This is so totally genuine.....NOT!

Postby Jdog1958 » 12 Jul 2018 08:01

Saw this listing for an "AT" MM cartridge from China. Looks so legit! I like the fact that it features "record player moving magnetic singing needle" and "Bald needle tip due to the larger radius of curvature of the groove on the high-frequency signal tracking ability diminished"
s-l1600zr.jpg

Free Shipping! Get yours now! :lol:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica ... SwFMdaU3tq
Jdog1958

United States of America

Re: This is so totally genuine.....NOT!

Postby tlscapital » 12 Jul 2018 08:37

...magnetic singing needle... :?

...Bald needle tip... :(

...tracking ability diminished... :cry:

Yet all very funny, thanks for sharing. I wonder who's going to be fooled up ?

The whole ting (ling-ting-tong) is even funnier;

...the use of acupuncture, poor quality of shoddy records and shaking bad disk will shorten the life of the tip... ...the treble gradually worse, more and more boring sound, you need to consider replacing the song... ...just to confirm whether it can be fixed to the singing boom ! :lol:
tlscapital
long player
long player

Belgium

Postby goatbreath » 12 Jul 2018 08:58

Talking of acupuncture.

Acupuncture.jpg
Acupuncture.jpg (32.54 KiB) Viewed 618 times
goatbreath
long player
long player

Scotland

Postby goatbreath » 12 Jul 2018 09:00

IRON TRIANGLE ??
goatbreath
long player
long player

Scotland

Postby raphaelmabo » 12 Jul 2018 11:33

Ok, computer translation from chinese to english?
I've seen many hilarious examples of that. :)
raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Sweden

Postby cats squirrel » 12 Jul 2018 13:42

I've bought a few things from Chinese sites, and sometimes the translation is very confusing, like the need to weld the components to the pcb!

I have been tolerant, and on several occasions tried to Help with the translations, for safety's sake, if nothing else. They are always kind in their response, but NEVER change the description.

I have recently bought a valve-based preamplifier kit, but the kit came with four sides of instructions, all in Chinese. Fortunately, they have supplied a circuit diagram, so all is not lost!

If they want to sell in other countries, surely they must supply suitable descriptions and instructions.
cats squirrel
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby abs1 » 12 Jul 2018 14:47

The language and grammar reminds me of some of the manuals, brochures, and advertisements that appeared in the US when the Japanese were first attempting to introduce their automobiles to the US market. Needless to say they were dismal failures in the beginning, but they learned.

And how they learned!

For better or worse the Chinese will learn too.

Cheers,
Al
abs1

United States of America

Postby BMRR » 12 Jul 2018 15:55

AT does manufacture the AT3600 in China now. They've also started to manufacture the AT95 there.

It looks like a real AT3600, but it's the OEM version rather than the retail version. The OEM version lacks the AT logo on the front of the stylus, and is supplied in plain generic packaging without instructions or accessories. Many turntable manufacturers buy these in bulk.

Aside from the bad translation, the cartridge is probably fine. Hard to beat for only $14.
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Patrice Brousseau » 12 Jul 2018 22:46

Been talked a lot on AudioKarma: they're real AT's and some come even with all mounting hardware.
Patrice Brousseau

Postby ChrisfromRI » 13 Jul 2018 01:41

A sign of the times...
ChrisfromRI

Postby Jdog1958 » 13 Jul 2018 07:50

AT3600? So now I begin to see that maybe it isn't fake after all. It's supposed to be the worlds most popular cartridge, so I am reading, because it is OEM on many different turntables, including some AT models. I guess I stand corrected!

LP Gear seems to offer a few upgrades to this unit, including a ViVid Line contact and a carbon fiber cantilever unit. They sell a cartridge for about $25

The 2.5 -3.5 gram tracking force is a bit scary to me, and I have never run a conical stylus on my rig.

The machine translated descriptions are still amusing!
Jdog1958

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 13 Jul 2018 08:19

Jdog1958 wrote:AT3600? So now I begin to see that maybe it isn't fake after all. It's supposed to be the worlds most popular cartridge, so I am reading, because it is OEM on many different turntables, including some AT models. I guess I stand corrected!

LP Gear seems to offer a few upgrades to this unit, including a ViVid Line contact and a carbon fiber cantilever unit. They sell a cartridge for about $25

The 2.5 -3.5 gram tracking force is a bit scary to me, and I have never run a conical stylus on my rig.

Scary?
Why?
Do you honestly believe that internet hearsay that anything over 2 grams is simply horrible?
Come on now!
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby chiz » 13 Jul 2018 11:00

Jdog1958 wrote: LP Gear seems to offer a few upgrades to this unit, including ... a carbon fiber cantilever unit.

If you look at the other pictures on that ebay listing, this cartridge appears to already have the familiar carbon fibre reinforced plastic cantilever that AT use on some of their cheaper models:

chiz

United Kingdom

Postby Jdog1958 » 14 Jul 2018 08:16

Spinner45 wrote:
Jdog1958 wrote:AT3600? So now I begin to see that maybe it isn't fake after all. It's supposed to be the worlds most popular cartridge, so I am reading, because it is OEM on many different turntables, including some AT models. I guess I stand corrected!

Scary?
Why?
Do you honestly believe that internet hearsay that anything over 2 grams is simply horrible?
Come on now!

I guess I want to believe that less force equals less wear on the groove as far as what I have heard. I don't know, maybe there is much I have yet to learn here.
Jdog1958

United States of America

Postby ]eep » 15 Jul 2018 02:28

This is so genuine American. A clickbait title with all caps making assumption about somthing you obviously know nothing about, and making fun of some well intended attempt at writing in English. Really funny... Not. Making fun of a hardworking guy from a low wages country trying to make a buck. This time not by working in a sweatshop exploited by large corporations in the west.

You try learning Cantonese, maybe you will get a better deal. See how you like it being laughed at while you try.

When you try it sometime you will find that people who don't speak English that well have great stuff for sale, made with pride. And at much lower prices.
]eep

Netherlands

Next

Return to Cartridges and Preamps