the home of the turntable

The best cartridge money's no object

the thin end of the wedge

Re: The best cartridge money's no object

Postby Ronnie1 » 18 Jul 2018 01:30

I have had Ortofon Red, Blue, Bronze, Black. Audio Technica Art-9. Denon 103R 301MK2 Dl-110.
Hana Green, Black. Nagaoka 110 150 200 300 500. Nagaoka says musical to my ear. I listen to the 500 and switch to the 300 for fun. The 500 rules in my book. If it brakes you just buy the stylus. Like that idea.
Ronnie1

United States of America

Postby Thunderbox » 18 Jul 2018 03:17

You can only really say something is the best if there is a competition and there is clearly a winner. Since we haven't seen a real competition everything we have read is just opinion, as others have stated. The way the brain works it is very hard to tell what is really happening even when watching something. Lets do a little test. If you watch this it will probably demonstrate how aware we really are. So when you are listening to music if you are to concentrated on one aspect of the music you will probably miss a lot of the music.

The site will not allow me to put the link in. Search instead for "Awareness test" It should be the first thing to show up It says "Test Your Awareness: Do The Test - YouTube" Good luck people. Very interesting demonstration of how the mind perceives what it wants to. We need to be very observant regardless of what we know and believe, to be fully aware.
Thunderbox

Canada

Postby a.wayne » 18 Jul 2018 03:57

mamakasou wrote:
a.wayne wrote:Theres a reason why the very popular MM cartridge gave way to MC cartridges in a free market...

Now, seriously, I find your comments irresistible to respond. 8)

Alluding to weak notions, like "free-market" and other really meaningless terms, give me the giggles. :P

The "markets" are neither "free" nor guided by reason... Believe it or not. [-X

They are mostly governed and shaped by capital, greed, aggressive marketing strategies and monopolies.

There are exceptions to the rule as usual, but we are not referring to them right now.

In the end, consumers have to use fair judgment, against a backdrop of marketing heresay and conflicting opinions, in order to get the most for their money.

Seriously ..? or is that how they got you ..... :)
a.wayne

United States of America

Postby a.wayne » 18 Jul 2018 04:02

Thunderbox wrote:You can only really say something is the best if there is a competition and there is clearly a winner. Since we haven't seen a real competition everything we have read is just opinion, as others have stated. The way the brain works it is very hard to tell what is really happening even when watching something. Lets do a little test. If you watch this it will probably demonstrate how aware we really are. So when you are listening to music if you are to concentrated on one aspect of the music you will probably miss a lot of the music.

The site will not allow me to put the link in. Search instead for "Awareness test" It should be the first thing to show up It says "Test Your Awareness: Do The Test - YouTube" Good luck people. Very interesting demonstration of how the mind perceives what it wants to. We need to be very observant regardless of what we know and believe, to be fully aware.

Well there was once MM and MC cartridges and today there’s still MM and MC cartridges, well thats been my observation ...
a.wayne

United States of America

Postby a.wayne » 18 Jul 2018 04:27

Ronnie1 wrote:I have had Ortofon Red, Blue, Bronze, Black. Audio Technica Art-9. Denon 103R 301MK2 Dl-110.
Hana Green, Black. Nagaoka 110 150 200 300 500. Nagaoka says musical to my ear. I listen to the 500 and switch to the 300 for fun. The 500 rules in my book. If it brakes you just buy the stylus. Like that idea.

So whats the best cartridge money no object , Nagaoka 500 ....?
a.wayne

United States of America

Postby H. callahan » 18 Jul 2018 04:43

What about the cartridge from that Laser-tt? Wasn´t that said to be the best?
H. callahan

Germany

Postby Hanuman » 18 Jul 2018 05:16

H. callahan wrote:What about the cartridge from that Laser-tt? Wasn´t that said to be the best?

Never got reviewed very well and has a reputation for excessive sensitivity to surface noise.
Hanuman
long player
long player
contributor

Postby billshurv » 18 Jul 2018 10:14

The ELP is superb in almost all parameters, but as has been said, it suffers because it 'reads' every spec of dirt on the disk, things that a stylus would plough out the way. If you redesigned it today you'd probably have a digital noise clean up built in, but because the actual sensing setup is analog it can't do that. You could always make your living room a class 100 clean room, but listening to records in a noddy suit is no fun, nor would the noise of the fans needed.
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby billshurv » 18 Jul 2018 10:52

Thunderbox wrote:You can only really say something is the best if there is a competition and there is clearly a winner.

Well I think if you split 'best' and 'my favourite' then things get a little easier. You could come up with parametrics and measurements to define the best cartridge (for a particular tonearm).

Favourite is 100% subjective and one man's meat is anothers poison. There are those for whom you would have to peel their SPU and 12" SME arm from their cold dead fingers. For others they would seem warm and flabby. There has been some serious consideration of trying to make a 'vinyliser' which has adjustable distortions so people can try and match their digital sources to their vinyl experience. I've always thought it might be useful to try and work out what people actually like.
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby a.wayne » 18 Jul 2018 16:50

Hanuman wrote:
H. callahan wrote:What about the cartridge from that Laser-tt? Wasn´t that said to be the best?

Never got reviewed very well and has a reputation for excessive sensitivity to surface noise.

Dragging a stylus thru an LP groove will always be the best way to hear an LP ...,
a.wayne

United States of America

Postby sturgus » 18 Jul 2018 21:05

In my system the Nagaoka MP-500 is the top dog under $800. Some of my cartridges.
Shure V15-V
Shure M-97x
Rat/shack V15/RS
Stanton 681-eee
SAE 1000ex
AT 7V I really like this little cartridge. Fun sounding
I love my Nag but my Koetsu/Rosewood is still better.
sturgus

United States of America

Postby Legrace » 18 Jul 2018 21:47

sturgus wrote:In my system the Nagaoka MP-500 is the top dog under $800. Some of my cartridges.
Shure V15-V
Shure M-97x
Rat/shack V15/RS
Stanton 681-eee
SAE 1000ex

Nice selection of cartridges! Curious, between Stanton and Shure models, which is your preference?
Legrace
long player
long player

Canada

Postby cafe latte » 18 Jul 2018 22:58

Legrace wrote:
sturgus wrote:In my system the Nagaoka MP-500 is the top dog under $800. Some of my cartridges.
Shure V15-V
Shure M-97x
Rat/shack V15/RS
Stanton 681-eee
SAE 1000ex

Nice selection of cartridges! Curious, between Stanton and Shure models, which is your preference?

I too have a few sure carts including M97xe and a Stanton 681 with a Shibata stylus and a Stanton 881 again with Shibata. I was not that impressed with the Stanton's until I recently put the 881 onto my Hadcock arm which is very light ie high compliance. It suddenly sang which highlights the importance of compliance IMO. I have not tried the 681 yet on the Hadcock. I think the 881 is really an amazing cart but it needs setting up on an arm like it was designed for.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby Wimbo » 18 Jul 2018 23:56

I too have a few sure carts including M97xe and a Stanton 681 with a Shibata stylus and a Stanton 881 again with Shibata. I was not that impressed with the Stanton's until I recently put the 881 onto my Hadcock arm which is very light ie high compliance. It suddenly sang which highlights the importance of compliance IMO. I have not tried the 681 yet on the Hadcock. I think the 881 is really an amazing cart but it needs setting up on an arm like it was designed for.
Chris[/quote]
Also, see if you can find a NOS 81S Mk2 stylus Chris.For my ears, it is very close to the WOS CS100 and I have heard both.Major difference is (if true) 30k and 50k frequency responses, making the WOS faster giving better transient response.
Wimbo

Australia

Postby a.wayne » 19 Jul 2018 00:10

cafe latte wrote:
Legrace wrote:
Shure V15-V
Shure M-97x
Rat/shack V15/RS
Stanton 681-eee
SAE 1000ex

Chris

What resonance frequency are you now seeing Chris ... ?
a.wayne

United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Cartridges and Preamps