the home of the turntable

Sumiko Phono Cartridges

the thin end of the wedge

Sumiko Phono Cartridges

Postby TD 166 MKII » 21 Jun 2018 23:43

Just wondering if anyone has tried any of these yet.

Oyster Series AmethystAmethyst Amethyst Moonstone 335Moonstone Moonstone Olympia332Olympia Olympia Rainier332Rainier Rainierhttp://sumikoaudio.net/img/prodo ... ornice.png
TD 166 MKII

Canada

Re: Sumiko Phono Cartridges

Postby Boltman92124 » 22 Jun 2018 16:03

Got my eyes on a Rainier! Nice looking design.
Boltman92124

United States of America

Postby TD 166 MKII » 23 Jun 2018 05:05

I wrote Sumiko in the States and Bill Rudolph Analog Production Manager responed back with this " Thanks for the enquiry. The Pearl is a step down from the Rainier, so none of the new MM’s will replace the Pearl. The new series has some sonic benefits that do not show up on paper. They are quieter, fast and more dynamic than the original oyster series. Despite the frequency response of the Rainier being narrower than the Pearl it is the superior more musical cartridge due to the advantages of the new design. The Moonstone is closer to the Blue Point No.2 and is an easy upgrade from either the Rainier or the Olympia ".
I think these will be a some nice Cartridges and looking forward to seeing some reviews.
TD 166 MKII

Canada

Postby raphaelmabo » 24 Jun 2018 14:11

Interesting, I never found the Pearl lacking in dynamics or speed, I found it very musical and rich sounding. But it will be interesting to have a go on the Sumiko Rainer when it hits my shores. The reply from Sumiko shows, again, that technical specifications does not tell the whole story when it comes to the sound.
raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Sweden

Postby TD 166 MKII » 25 Jun 2018 19:55

I just heard back from Bill and was told that reviews will be coming in July.
TD 166 MKII

Canada

Postby patient_ot » 29 Jun 2018 18:55

Looks interesting. My guess is it's the same OEM as before, just a redesigned body and more stylus options. I'd be curious if the street price is a bit lower than MSRP. The only one that really interests me is the Amethyst w/line contact stylus.
patient_ot
contributor

United States of America

Postby raphaelmabo » 29 Jun 2018 19:38

It is true that they are still made by Excel Sound Corporation (makers of the excellent Hana cartridges) but they are not simply Black Pearl or Pearl in a new body with different stylus. The Rainer model has the same elliptical stylus as the Pearl, but the technical specifications of frequency range and stereo separation is totally different, and if Sumiko is to be believed - they don't sound the same (newer ones being more dynamic sounding, according to Sumiko). So there must be some changes made to the generator in use.

I'm looking forward to listen to them in the future (they are not yet available where I live).
raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Sweden

Postby TD 166 MKII » 06 Jul 2018 17:49

OK, so I did not want to wait until the fall for a new Cart. so I picked up a Goldring E-3. I have about 5 or less hours on it and must say I am blown away. I was not expecting what this Cart. can do, worth every penny. It smokes my Nagaoka 110, I had the Nagaoka MP 11B and this E-3 is just as impressive as it was. Goldring knocked it out of the park with this Cart. I do not believe anything is this price range will come close to it. =D>
TD 166 MKII

Canada

Postby nico » 06 Jul 2018 19:14

Hi TD, I CAN’t believe the Goldring e3 isn’t getting more recommendations either. I switch between my Sumiko Pearl and the e3 at the moment and live them both. Great cart in my Jelco 750 arm. I also have an MP 11 boron and I suppose age may be an issue for the suspension (stylus isn’t worn) but I don’t like this at all.

Enjoy the e3.
nico

Postby raphaelmabo » 07 Jul 2018 09:12

Finally, here’s a review of the Sumiko Rainer. Seems to continue the warmish approach of the Oyster range. Too bad he didn’t compared with the Pearl, but it do seems more dynamic than a Grado Gold.
https://www.soundstageaccess.com/index. ... -cartridge
raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Sweden

Return to Cartridges and Preamps