AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

the thin end of the wedge
Post Reply
Jdog1958
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 217
Joined: 03 Apr 2018 07:40
Location: Broomfield, CO

AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by Jdog1958 » 20 Jun 2018 09:18

AT13Ea(2).JPG
(323.81 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Ok, as I posted the other day, I received this cartridge and found I like it very much! Unfortunately, I messed up the other post by typing "AT30Ea" in the title, instead of "AT13Ea"! Hopefully that post will fade away!

My concern with this unit, is upon further research, I am learning that picking up a "vintage" cartridge like this has it's drawbacks - I read that there is no direct replacement for the stylus-they are out of production! There are other aftermarket replacements available, but none have the .2x.7 elliptical. Most of the aftermarket tips are .3x.7. and I believe they are bonded instead of nudies.

If I like this cartridge TOO much, and wear out the stylus, then it seems the stock stylus is irreplaceable.

What are my choices then? I know I am thinking way down the road, but still....

Thanks

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany
Posts: 6458
Joined: 22 Sep 2007 05:17
Location: Munich/Bavaria

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by lini » 20 Jun 2018 14:47

Jd: Actually BBE (adelcom.net) still has the ATN13 listed for not quite 130 bucks.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

addicted-to-analog
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 234
Joined: 04 May 2008 00:18
Location: USA

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by addicted-to-analog » 20 Jun 2018 17:33

JICO also has a pretty good replacement stylus.

Jdog1958
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 217
Joined: 03 Apr 2018 07:40
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by Jdog1958 » 21 Jun 2018 06:33

lini wrote:Jd: Actually BBE (adelcom.net) still has the ATN13 listed for not quite 130 bucks.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Thank you Manfred, but that is a bit more than I paid for the cartridge. What do you think of the LP replacement for this, Esp. for a person on a budget?

Jdog1958
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 217
Joined: 03 Apr 2018 07:40
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by Jdog1958 » 21 Jun 2018 07:20

Jdog1958 wrote:
lini wrote:Jd: Actually BBE (adelcom.net) still has the ATN13 listed for not quite 130 bucks.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Thank you Manfred, but that is a bit more than I paid for the cartridge. What do you think of the LP replacement for this, Esp. for a person on a budget?
Perhaps I answer my own question. The LP Gear unit does not have the same dimensions as the original and also does not state if it is bonded or nude. Perhaps I save some pennies and get the original.

AlwaysAirborne
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 151
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 01:36
Location: Near the Needle Doctor

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by AlwaysAirborne » 22 Jun 2018 01:08

Good idea. If you really like what your hearing then definitely go buy another original stylus now. They are out there, but probably not for long.


Lini - Would the AT7V stylus fit AT13Ea? If it did that might be a modern replacement to consider.

Trak101
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Dec 2016 22:07

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by Trak101 » 22 Jun 2018 03:40

Look at TurntableNeedles, they have a hyper-elliptical for that cart that I use and like very much

pinenut
member
member
Posts: 175
Joined: 30 Aug 2017 16:52

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by pinenut » 22 Jun 2018 04:55

Good idea. Nice cartridge, and what I’m running on my Rega right now. Bought two NOS 13Ea cartridges about 3 months ago for $75 each. Good detail and clarity, decent midrange and bass.
They’re presently not too tough to find NOS, and replacement original styli still turn up NOS too. I haven’t heard the aftermarket styli for them, but I’d look for another NOS 13Ea, before I pay big $ for a replacement original stylus.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany
Posts: 6458
Joined: 22 Sep 2007 05:17
Location: Munich/Bavaria

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by lini » 22 Jun 2018 13:37

AA: No, that wouldn't fit. The ATN7V would fit on the bodies of the "wider AT120 family", but not on any bodies of the AT10 to AT20 range, as these are based on a different generator capsule.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jdog1958
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 217
Joined: 03 Apr 2018 07:40
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by Jdog1958 » 23 Jun 2018 18:21

I am considering the prices and thinking my best bet maybe picking up another if I want one bad enough.

BMRR
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 4863
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48
Location: Maine, USA

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by BMRR » 24 Jun 2018 00:25

Or, when your current stylus wears out, you could have it retipped by a professional stylus retipper. This is not inexpensive, but many retippers will give you a wide variety of very nice nude diamonds to choose from. For instance, you might decide to stay with a nude elliptical, or for a bit more money you could choose a nude hyperelliptical or a nude line contact. Many members of this site have had good experiences with Expert Stylus Company, which is based in the UK but typically has lower prices than the USA retippers even when shipping/postage is factored in.

JRob1125
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 93
Joined: 02 Dec 2014 05:17
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Re: AT13Ea-was it a good idea?

Post by JRob1125 » 24 Jun 2018 02:36

BMRR wrote:Or, when your current stylus wears out, you could have it retipped by a professional stylus retipper. This is not inexpensive, but many retippers will give you a wide variety of very nice nude diamonds to choose from. For instance, you might decide to stay with a nude elliptical, or for a bit more money you could choose a nude hyperelliptical or a nude line contact. Many members of this site have had good experiences with Expert Stylus Company, which is based in the UK but typically has lower prices than the USA retippers even when shipping/postage is factored in.
Expert Stylus Company's "Extended Contact" is a very high quality nude true elliptical. (6 x 17um or .24 x .67 mil) The retip for my AT95E cost me $90 with shipping included.

Post Reply