Best Stylus Cleaning Options

the thin end of the wedge
Brant W

Re: Best Stylus Cleaning Options

Post by Brant W » 23 Jun 2018 03:50

chiz wrote:I've got a bottle of the Audio Technica stuff.

It smells like it's alcohol based to me.
Cheers!

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 23 Jun 2018 15:09

I have been using the the "AT -607" stylus cleaner for a few years now with great results.

This is with a shure bonded stylus and with a Jico SAS stylus. :)

VinylT

Post by VinylT » 23 Jun 2018 17:08

I use a home made (DIY) gel pad like the onzo zero dust. The Only difference is the price 2€ VS 50€..

Sleepwalker65
broken record

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 23 Jun 2018 17:33

Problem with gel is it’s slow to evaporate and usually leaves a sticky residue.

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 24 Jun 2018 15:46

I've used several stylus cleaning methods over the years. Some I've discarded as too ineffectual, others possibly too risky.

At the present time I've settled on a few stylus cleaning regimens, all dependent upon what I feel the condition of the stylus is. First, I examine the stylus using an inexpensive illuminated 30x22 mm / 60x12 mm hand held magnifier that I found on Amazon.com.

Then:

1) Mild dust/dirt warrants a quick brushing with a cut-off artists brush as described by Peter Ledermann of Soundsmith.

2) If I detect stubborn residue on the stylus that resisted dry brushing I'll use either Magic Eraser or (my present favorite) a MoonGel disc.

3) If the stylus remains grungy or discolored I'll very carefully apply my favorite liquid cleaner - AT 607.

The above method has never yet failed to result in a pristine stylus, and (at least up to now) has never harmed any of my cartridges.

Just use extreme caution when cleaning a stylus, and never attempt cleaning when imbibing your favorite liquid pleasure or enjoying your favorite herb.

Cheers,
Al

stevoz
Australia

Post by stevoz » 26 Jun 2018 03:52

Tedrick wrote:I use an Onzow Zerodust before every album side. Keeps my stylii squeaky clean.
.....and happily spent multiple dollars. Which is fine if you're happy. :)
Maybe try these:
Sticky Hands-stylus cleaner!.jpg
(82.84 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Yes, they're a child's toy and they're made of the same substance as Zerodust....plastisol or TPU (thermal polyurethane). Here's an example of their effectiveness:

First pic...DL103 stylus after playing uncleaned but brushed 2nd hand LP (before Revirginizing)
Stylus - DL103 before cleaning.jpg
(80.11 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Same DL103 stylus after 3 light dabs of a Sticky Hand:
Stylus - DL103 after 'sticky hands' clean.jpg
(125.97 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Nice! :D Someone challenged me about Sticky Hands leaving a mark on glass (a residue) but I believe Zerodust also leaves the same residual mark. They are the same product. At around $2 for 10 of them, it's a no brainer IMO. As I said on stereonet, laugh if you must but "once you go tacky, you never go back-y"....... :lol:

stevoz
Australia

Post by stevoz » 26 Jun 2018 03:57

Sleepwalker65 wrote:Problem with gel is it’s slow to evaporate and usually leaves a sticky residue.
.....which appears to not effect SQ at all! =D> .....and is probably the most forgiving product that will ever touch your stylus, except maybe a brush which isn't as effective in removing everything from ones precious tip. :)

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 26 Jun 2018 11:43

My method is similar to Al's - dry brush / magic eraser / liquid cleaner as necessary.

I've not tried any of the sticky gel type products.

Soundsmith recommend "DAP Bluestik aka Fun Tak, Blu Tack, etc"

https://www.sound-smith.com/how-care-ne ... cartridges

stevoz
Australia

Post by stevoz » 26 Jun 2018 13:53

chiz wrote:My method is similar to Al's - dry brush / magic eraser / liquid cleaner as necessary.

I've not tried any of the sticky gel type products.

Soundsmith recommend "DAP Bluestik aka Fun Tak, Blu Tack, etc"

https://www.sound-smith.com/how-care-ne ... cartridges
There is no doubt Magic Eraser does a fine stylus cleaning job and I swore by it for quite awhile but then had concerns after reading about the abrasive nature of the fibres used in them (which is what makes them so effective at cleaning smooth surfaces) subsequently causing premature stylus wear. You would think though that two or three dabs of a Magic Eraser would be nothing compared to the amount of accumulative friction and wear on the stylus from playing a whole LP side.

I've always thought blu-tak may work well but have never tried it. :) My concern there is residue but it was also a concern I had with gel type cleaners and Sticky Hands, until I actually used them.

Interesting re: Soundsmith. During my 'internet research' :lol:, I have read that they also recommend iso-propyl alcohol for stylus cleaning whereas Expert Stylus do not and warn against it's use.....I have not yet found out why but assume it may have something to do with the chance of alcohol 'wicking' it's way up the cantilever and into the cart body and risking damage to it if too much is applied. I would have thought with sparing use and careful application, this would be pretty easy to avoid but no chance of that with blu-tak, Sticky Hands or Magic Eraser. :)

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 26 Jun 2018 14:59

stevoz wrote:You would think though that two or three dabs of a Magic Eraser would be nothing compared to the amount of accumulative friction and wear on the stylus from playing a whole LP side.
I would think so too.

Linn sell abrasive strips like sandpaper for stylus cleaning.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8a0AAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

I will definitely give the Blu Tack a try at some point and hopefully remember to take before and after pictures.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 27 Jun 2018 01:15

Why would you use sandpaper on a stylus to clean it when you can do it with alcohol? Sandpaper WILL cause wear to the stylus and can possibly damage it too.
Chris

donovan

Post by donovan » 27 Jun 2018 01:50

I'm pleased with the results on my homemade solution of 1 part Denatured Alcohol to 1 part Distilled Water. The 50/50 ratio mixture is perfect for my various Shure carts/stylus. I also use a VERY gentle brush like this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/251909725898

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 27 Jun 2018 12:41

cafe latte wrote:Why would you use sandpaper on a stylus to clean it when you can do it with alcohol? Sandpaper WILL cause wear to the stylus and can possibly damage it too.
Chris
Personally I would not, I'm just mentioning what some manufacturers recommend.

On further investigation the green sandpaper-like stuff is reported to be aluminium oxide lapping film.

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 27 Jun 2018 14:17

cafe latte wrote:Why would you use sandpaper on a stylus to clean it when you can do it with alcohol? Sandpaper WILL cause wear to the stylus and can possibly damage it too.
Chris

I believe that it was a Linn recommendation.

Linnies are cultists. The late Ivor Tiefenbrun (sp?) who was the head Linnie once recommended using the striker from a paper matchbook to clean the stylus. And the loyal cultists followed like the sheeple they are.

I'll pass, thank you :roll:

Cheers,
SB