the home of the turntable

Best Stylus Cleaning Options

the thin end of the wedge

Best Stylus Cleaning Options

Postby Brant W » 18 Jun 2018 23:53

Hello,
like probably many here I have a few options to clean my stylus
This picture includes two old brushes with only one using vibration.
Then there's the Magic Eraser option we all have easy access to to.

I'm wondering which option works best for stylus's and in particular my AT 440mlb?

Right now I'm also wondering if I need fluid for the two brushes and if so which fluid?
It's been awhile since I used these but I seem to recall fluids.
Unfortunately I can't find any information online for these brushes.

At the moment I just drag the wooden brush (dry) from back to front which makes me feel like I'm sanding the stylus away. :(

I'm hoping people will chime in with their opinions on the best way to clean a stylus.
Brant W

Canada

Re: Best Stylus Cleaning Options

Postby plastico » 19 Jun 2018 02:27

Get a container of Moongel damper pads that drummers use. For $8 bucks from a musical instrument store. This will probably last you till you can't see anymore! :lol: Dip your stylus in a motionless pad and just use your arm lift. I also use a Magic eraser. I take a small piece and stroke the stylus from back to front with very little pressure. If you find this too daunting, you can just dip your stylus in the ME the same way as the Moongel pads.
Cheers, Doug
plastico

Canada

Postby Sleepwalker65 » 19 Jun 2018 02:30

I really like my Discwasher SC-2. Honestly, I think the SC-2 fluid is still available. I’m still on the original bottle from 35 years ago. Not sure what its composition is, but I’d hazard to guess we could duplicate it closely enough.
Sleepwalker65

Canada

Postby Sleepwalker65 » 19 Jun 2018 03:03

Alas I must eat my words. A search here and there turns up no SC-2 fluid. If I needed a replacement, I’d trust the good folks at Audio Technica. The fluid is probably nothing more than neutral buffered ethanol. A compounding pharmacy could probably mix you up a batch that would last a lifetime for a couple dollars.
Sleepwalker65

Canada

Postby bp1950 » 19 Jun 2018 03:47

I've used Disc Doctor stylus cleaner for a few years. Use it maybe once a listening session. does what it is supposed to do. Comes with a nice carbon fiber stylus cleaning brush.
bp1950

United States of America

Postby 62vauxhall » 19 Jun 2018 05:06

This is what I've had since the mid 1970's - DW SC-2 brush and some boutique liquid cleaner.

Nearly half a bottle of fluid left after all that time. Dealer sticker still legible but product label - not so much.

IMG_3718.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG
62vauxhall

Postby Brant W » 19 Jun 2018 05:37

Thanks for the input everyone.

I just checked Long & McQuade and yes those Moongels are about $8.00
My concern with those is whether they'll leave any residue buildup over time.

Since my new cartridge is the AT 440mlb their fluid should be my first choice if I go that way. I'll definitely check with them to see if it will work well with either brush.
I'd just hate to over pay for something that can be found without the AT name.

It's great to know what my strange brush is (DW-SC2) :lol:
Brant W

Canada

Postby Tedrick » 19 Jun 2018 06:33

I use an Onzow Zerodust before every album side. Keeps my stylii squeaky clean.
Tedrick
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby lenjack » 19 Jun 2018 13:52

I simply can't trust my original SC-2 fluid. Don't know what it has congealed into over 35 or more years. I'll go alcohol or distilled water on the brush, and, of course, always back to front.
lenjack

United States of America

Postby 62vauxhall » 19 Jun 2018 16:51

You are not supposed to get those SC-2's (or any carbon fiber stylus brush) wet.

A tiny bit of fluid is applied to the stylus tip with an applicator (like a jewlery cleaning brush or small artist's paint brush) then use the SC-2. Myself, I let the fluid remain on the stylus a minute or two first.

Subject carbon fiber stylus cleaners to too much liquid and it distorts the bristles. Presumably they absorb fluids because they swell.
62vauxhall

Postby JAV80007 » 19 Jun 2018 17:44

I use LAST products across the board. They're expensive but work great in my experience.

Their stylus cleaner (04) is applied via fingernail polish brush. After applying I drop the stylus on a magic eraser three times. Comes out clean as new. I follow that up with Stylast (05).
JAV80007

United States of America

Postby Sleepwalker65 » 19 Jun 2018 19:21

62vauxhall wrote:You are not supposed to get those SC-2's (or any carbon fiber stylus brush) wet.

A tiny bit of fluid is applied to the stylus tip with an applicator (like a jewlery cleaning brush or small artist's paint brush) then use the SC-2. Myself, I let the fluid remain on the stylus a minute or two first.

Subject carbon fiber stylus cleaners to too much liquid and it distorts the bristles. Presumably they absorb fluids because they swell.

The SC-2 instructions say to put the fluid on the brush.
Sleepwalker65

Canada

Postby lenjack » 19 Jun 2018 22:00

Yes, the SC-2 came with the fluid. I use it dry.
lenjack

United States of America

Postby Brant W » 19 Jun 2018 22:42

Is it true that isopropyl can erode the glue holding the diamond over time?
Brant W

Canada

Postby Bobber05 » 20 Jun 2018 00:50

Yes but....Isopropyl alcohol is a powerful solvent but it needs proper concentration and time to dissolve bonds of the cyanoacrylates used
for bonded stylus tips. Nude mounted diamonds are less prone to this worry. Thus a diluted isopropyl stylus cleaner such as the MoFi LP9 is safe for every day use it you don't glob it on, a very effective cleaner which presents very low risk if applied properly. Less is more,baby.
Bobber05

United States of America

Next

Return to Cartridges and Preamps