the home of the turntable

Pro-ject rpm1 upgrade - om10 o om20?

the thin end of the wedge

Pro-ject rpm1 upgrade - om10 o om20?

Postby luisrocha » 14 Jun 2018 13:37

Hi, I would like to try and upgrade my pro-ject turntable rpm1 (the very first one). It has an Ortofon Om3e cartridge, which I actually think is better than Om5e (I have an Om5e stylus, and when I swap the stylus, I can hear the difference).
Now i'm in for trying a new stylus as an upgrade. I'm torn between ortofon om10 and om20. The om20 is supposed to be a vast improvement, from what i hear... but is so much more expensive than om10. I'm looking for a warmer, cleaner sound with less sibilance... Any advice would be greatly aprecciated.
luisrocha

Portugal

Re: Pro-ject rpm1 upgrade - om10 o om20?

Postby raphaelmabo » 14 Jun 2018 15:42

In what way are you more pleased with the 3 than the 5? 5 has extended treble response and a more refined sound. Both 10 and 20 builds upon this and gives more details. Since you like the 3 better than the 5 I'm not convinced you would like the 10 or the 20, but both offers an improvement in details over the 5. I had them all, but I wouldn't call them warm. They gives a clean, clear and quite accurate sound, quite smooth and easy on the ear. The higher up the number you goes, the more details are revealed also shortcomings in recordings and the shape of the vinyl... You could try something completely different, like the Grado Black 2 or Blue 2 or Gold 2, The Vessel A3SA or Nagaoka MP110, then you will get a warmer sound.

What type of music do you like to spin on your Pro-Ject?
raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Sweden

Postby Pauw » 14 Jun 2018 16:04

The 20 is a popular choice and for quite a few people is regarded as a very good choice , even eclipsing the 30 and the 40. The sibilance drops with the number the 20 having little as long as it is well aligned. The sound becomes more detailed but always remains an Orfofon sound as you climb the ladder. It is clear detailed and well balanced ,it is not that warm a sound but it is warm enough not to be hard or annoying. The condition of your vinyl and how well it is pressed is revealed more and more as you climb the ladder. The last point is interesting some regard the 20 or 30 as the best ...some say the 40 is a little cooler in sound and not so satisfying as the 20 or 30.
Pauw

Netherlands

Postby luisrocha » 14 Jun 2018 17:14

Thanks for the input. Regarding the question of raphaelmabo, curiously, I find, when I swap the om3e for the om5e stylus, that the om3e plays actually louder, and has a more crisp and clear sound, generally speaking. The underside of it is that the "s" sounds, specially in voices, are more sybilant. The om5e is more balanced, but a tad less clear sounding in highs.
luisrocha

Portugal

Postby luisrocha » 14 Jun 2018 17:46

raphaelmabo wrote:In what way are you more pleased with the 3 than the 5? 5 has extended treble response and a more refined sound. Both 10 and 20 builds upon this and gives more details. Since you like the 3 better than the 5 I'm not convinced you would like the 10 or the 20, but both offers an improvement in details over the 5. I had them all, but I wouldn't call them warm. They gives a clean, clear and quite accurate sound, quite smooth and easy on the ear. The higher up the number you goes, the more details are revealed also shortcomings in recordings and the shape of the vinyl... You could try something completely different, like the Grado Black 2 or Blue 2 or Gold 2, The Vessel A3SA or Nagaoka MP110, then you will get a warmer sound.

What type of music do you like to spin on your Pro-Ject?

Thanks for the input. Regarding the question of raphaelmabo, curiously, I find, when I swap the om3e for the om5e stylus, that the om3e plays actually louder, and has a more crisp and clear sound, generally speaking. The underside of it is that the "s" sounds, specially in voices, are more sybilant. The om5e is more balanced, but a tad less clear sounding in highs.
I listen to jazz and classical, mostly... some pop and rock'n roll too.
luisrocha

Portugal

Postby JackPArmstrong » 25 Jun 2018 14:36

For the turntable you have I wouldn't recommend anything above the 20 as from then on you will just experience diminishing returns as the capability of your turntable won't match your new cartridge. My suggestion would be to go for the OM20, its got a brilliant diamond profile for its price and will vastly improve your listening experience, I've played around with the stylus quite a few times and its shocking the amount of detail it adds in a song that you were unaware was there before.
JackPArmstrong

United Kingdom

Return to Cartridges and Preamps