the home of the turntable

Looking for the next upgrade step.

the thin end of the wedge

Looking for the next upgrade step.

Postby apoptotic » 03 May 2018 17:48

I'm looking for the weak point in my setup. I'm fairly new to vinyl records and would like to get some suggestions on what needs to be replaced in my setup.

My setup is as follows.
Technics 1200 MK2
LS400 cart with new LP Gear stylus
Onkyo TX-8511
2 x Polk Monitor 60

I'm thinking that I may need to add a sub woofer with speaker level input and new cartridge.
I'm on a fairly small budget, so any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.
apoptotic

United States of America

Re: Looking for the next upgrade step.

Postby Roberto C2H3 » 03 May 2018 23:25

Use your budget to increase your record collection. Preferably, early pressings of previously enjoyed albums in good to great shape. There will always be time to upgrade your gear later. The records will be waiting 8)
Roberto C2H3
long player
long player

Argentina

Postby Roberto C2H3 » 03 May 2018 23:26

By the way, welcome to VE, and congrats on your TT =D>
Roberto C2H3
long player
long player

Argentina

Postby AlwaysAirborne » 04 May 2018 03:43

I have owned most of the gear you are using and think you are off to a good start. Your idea was good. A sub-woofer would add a big punch to your sound. It doesn't need to be that expensive if you buy used. Is Craigslist an option where you live?
AlwaysAirborne

United States of America

Postby rewfew » 05 May 2018 15:09

Just to further complicate any decisions. If going the subwoofer route, think of two subs. This isn't for the sake of destabilizing your foundation, but rather to implement the subwoofer(s) into the room due to cancellations that are inherent to any room. The idea is to smooth the modes in the room that cause these cancellations. Look it up, you will find a growing conscientious regarding this trend. Your subwoofer's need not be high end. Parts Express is a good source to look https://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95
rewfew

Postby apoptotic » 11 May 2018 13:58

If I were to go the dual subwoofer route, would a couple of 8" be sufficient or should I bump it up to 10"?
apoptotic

United States of America

Postby EdAInWestOC » 11 May 2018 15:19

Take care when selecting a subwoofer. Many subwoofers are keyed to add chest thumping effects to a home theater. Unfortunately a subwoofer like that won't blend very well with speakers.

If you want a subwoofer to blend in with your speakers you should select the sub carefully. If possible audition the subwoofer. If you are able to audition the sub make sure the subwoofer you are listening to doesn't draw attention to itself. A good subwoofer should never draw attention and should blend in with your speakers.

In other words you should not be able to tell where the bass is coming from.

You can spend a lot of money on a subwoofer but it isn't necessary to break your budget. The brands that come to mind, when shopping for a quality sub, are REL and SVS. The smaller REL subwoofers can be had for reasonable money but be prepared for a bit of a sticker shock.

Another way to achieve good quality bass is to find a used Polk subwoofer. Polk made some decent subwoofers that blend in pretty well with many speakers. I still own an old Polk sub that served me well for a lot of years. There are a lot of these subs around.

Ed
EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby zeplin43 » 12 May 2018 23:28

2 subs good advice Rel are very good for music
do some research on Acoustic treatment(Bass Traps)work wonders,can be home made.
zeplin43
contributor

Portugal

Postby apoptotic » 15 May 2018 17:31

zeplin43 wrote:2 subs good advice Rel are very good for music
do some research on Acoustic treatment(Bass Traps)work wonders,can be home made.

Ouch, that price though. :?
apoptotic

United States of America

Postby lenjack » 16 May 2018 18:51

Look at the HSU line. Terrific value. Agreed that the subs should NOT call attention to themselves. They should simply blend in.
lenjack

United States of America

Postby davidpr » 17 May 2018 12:23

apoptotic wrote:I'm looking for the weak point in my setup. I'm fairly new to vinyl records and would like to get some suggestions on what needs to be replaced in my setup.

My setup is as follows.
Technics 1200 MK2
LS400 cart with new LP Gear stylus
Onkyo TX-8511
2 x Polk Monitor 60

I'm thinking that I may need to add a sub woofer with speaker level input and new cartridge.
I'm on a fairly small budget, so any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Start by postioning your speakers for the room, it can be well worth the time and efoort and it is a free upgrade.
davidpr

United Kingdom

Return to Cartridges and Preamps