the home of the turntable

i am new and have no idea.. AT13E

the thin end of the wedge

i am new and have no idea.. AT13E

Postby wjs1954 » 20 Apr 2018 19:38

I had an older ONKYO cp-1400A that stopped working yesterday. (motor died) So i went to this guy that sells used turntables i picked up a PHILIPS Automatic 406, it had a AT13E cartridge black with a red AT stylus mounted. The turntable sounded good at his place, I listen to about 6 different ones before i decided to go with this one. I paid 60.00 not sure if that was good or bad, anyway when i got home and plugged it into my JVC RX-888v it sounded a bit off like higher pitch, not good full body rock & roll. So i switched to the cartridge from the Onkyo, it sounds much better. Now for the question is the AT13E a MC cartridge or is it just a old stylus on it? it did play i did have volume control just didn't sound that good to me. Question 2 if it is a MC what is a step up amp, or if i like how it sounds just sell the Audio-Technica and forget about it. i am not rich man, far from it just like listen to vinyl now and than...
Thanks Wally
wjs1954

United States of America

Re: i am new and have no idea.. AT13E

Postby noisefreq » 20 Apr 2018 20:15

Hi wjs1954,
If you look at the top of the page and click on the Library link, you can look up the specifications for the AT 13e.
It's a moving magnet cart with decent specs.

I'd think about a ATN13Ea stylus from LPGear.com or a 202-DEM stylus from Turntableneedles.com to bring that cart back to life for under $40.

The Philips GA 406 manual is there, too.
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby themisto462 » 20 Apr 2018 20:48

noisefreq wrote:I'd think about a ATN13Ea stylus from LPGear.com or a 202-DEM stylus from Turntableneedles.com ...

Sorry, but I have to correct a little bit...

The ATN13 stylus doesn't fit to the AT13E cartridge. The correct replacement stylus would be the ATS13.

For comparison:
JD505051.JPG
audio-technica AT13E

This would be the cartridge for the ATN13 stylus:
audio-technica AT13Ea

Regards.
themisto462
contributor

Germany

Postby wjs1954 » 20 Apr 2018 22:07

Would you recommend the one from Audio Tech. Or is a generic ok? I should probably go with the generic Incase their is a problem with the cartridge, or even if it is the original cartridge it should be ok?
wjs1954

United States of America

Postby lini » 21 Apr 2018 00:18

Wally: The original ATS13 needle features a nice, nude diamond with rectangular shank and nicely polished, sharp, true elliptical tip on a tapered, anodised alu cantilever. Whereas a 3rd party replacement would typically only sport a bonded diamond with not so nicely polished, medium-sharp elliptical tip on a straight, non-anodised alu cantilever. Or in other words: The original needle version already is of pretty high quality, while a 3rd party replacement would usually just be of entry-level quality.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Germany

Postby denvertrakker » 21 Apr 2018 02:18

Further thoughts:

The original ATS13 is definitely better than aftermarket, problem is they're getting harder and harder to find. If aftermarket is the only thing available, try to find one sourced from Japan rather than Switzerland...in other words, stay away from Pfanstiehl.

The AT13 is a worthy cart, problem is finding a worthy stylus these days. Worth searching.
denvertrakker

United States of America

Postby noisefreq » 21 Apr 2018 14:50

themisto462 wrote:
noisefreq wrote:I'd think about a ATN13Ea stylus from LPGear.com or a 202-DEM stylus from Turntableneedles.com ...

Sorry, but I have to correct a little bit...

The ATN13 stylus doesn't fit to the AT13E cartridge. The correct replacement stylus would be the ATS13.

For comparison:
JD505051.JPG

This would be the cartridge for the ATN13 stylus:
audio-technica AT13Ea

Regards.

Thanks for the comparison.
The OP should certainly match up the stylus visually.
Cheers!
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby themisto462 » 21 Apr 2018 16:45

noisefreq wrote:Thanks for the comparison.
The OP should certainly match up the stylus visually.
Cheers!

Generally, you are right, because there was a second AT13E cartridge, where your suggested stylus would fit.
But regarding to the cartridge, that the OP has ("... it had a AT13E cartridge black with a red AT stylus mounted...") the ATN13 won't fit.
As far as I know, a model for the Japanese market only:

audio-technica AT13E
audio-technica AT13E

Regards.
themisto462
contributor

Germany

Postby noisefreq » 21 Apr 2018 18:21

(Tiptoeing) Looks like I've stumbled into a minefield.
Hopefully, wjs1954 will have better luck navigating his way to the right stylus.
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby wjs1954 » 21 Apr 2018 19:09

Actually mine looks just like the black one. And I downloaded the manual for the philips 406 that I purchased. Looking at the direction for installation of the cartridge to the carrier, I noticed who ever put it in put the screws in nut side down. The screws were actually hitting the stylus preventing it from seating on the cartridge. I switched them around WOW what a difference in sound now..... thank you all for taking the time to try to educate this old man. Now I have another question, how long does a cartridge and stylus last. I guess you know by differences in the sound you hear? Or does it just stop playing? One more thing to share went to a tag sale today, 8 bealtles LP for 10.00 1.25 each , I am a happy boy, driving the wife crazy ,,, but man they sound good !
wjs1954

United States of America

Postby denvertrakker » 22 Apr 2018 00:09

Cartridges can last indefinitely...nothing in there but coils, so they either work or they don't. Styli, on the other hand, there's more involved. I have carts that have their original styli from 30 years ago and still sound fine. Others have worn enough that they sound distorted, either from tip wear or dried-up suspensions. If yours sounds OK (now that you've seated the stylus properly), it probably is. If you can get a decent replacement and the price is right, go for it. If not, enjoy what you have and don't fret about it. Nice Beatles score!
denvertrakker

United States of America

Postby lini » 22 Apr 2018 03:21

Wally: Generally speaking, MM bodies are pretty unproblematic, because these basically only consist of a coil-set & core/pole piece arrangement with a few contacts inside a (not always immediately visible) metal shell plus a most usually plastic mounting frame, so unless you'd expose such a body to a corrosive atmosphere, excessive sun-light/UV radiation or/and all too high mechanical forces, well-made models would be hard to ruin in typical home use or respectively domestic storage conditions. But even needles, which foremost due to the required elastomer for the cantilever suspension are somewhat more sensitive, will most usually survive several decades of (suitable) storage no problemo.

Whereas needle wear is another matter and depends on a couple of factors, but on average a typical diamond needle should be good for at least roundabout 500 hours of actual runtime.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Germany

Return to Cartridges and Preamps