the home of the turntable

AT911E Cartridge

the thin end of the wedge

AT911E Cartridge

Postby Jdog1958 » 15 Apr 2018 21:10

I still have my first cartridge I bought with my turntable some err.. 40 years ago, and I'm certain the stylus is worn out, but I don't know for sure. I can find replacements around the web for around 30 bucks or so, (LP Gear for example), but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I don't remember what I paid for it new. Any opinions? They also offer several upgrades for it.

I do still have the original manual for it I can donate, if I can get a decent scan of it - it's sort of this tan paper with brown printing. I'll give it a shot if someone can point the way for me.

J
Jdog1958

United States of America

Re: AT911E Cartridge

Postby lini » 16 Apr 2018 13:32

Jd: That's one of AT's many "renames", basically an AT11E, just with the newer, white mounting frame - decent body, entry-level elliptical needle (ATS11E). If you'd upgrade that with an original ATN12XE, it would be about on level with the current VM530EN, but you could also go for an ATN12S or ATS12S, if you'd like to try a Shibata needle. The latter should still be available from BBE (adelcom.net) for not quite 110 bucks, which would still be a very fair price.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Germany

Postby Jdog1958 » 18 Apr 2018 08:54

lini wrote:Jd: That's one of AT's many "renames", basically an AT11E, just with the newer, white mounting frame - decent body, entry-level elliptical needle (ATS11E). If you'd upgrade that with an original ATN12XE, it would be about on level with the current VM530EN, but you could also go for an ATN12S or ATS12S, if you'd like to try a Shibata needle. The latter should still be available from BBE (adelcom.net) for not quite 110 bucks, which would still be a very fair price.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Thanks for the website info.

I can see that an original stylus replacement for this cartridge is around $77 and an aftermarket unit for $32. My thought is this: Do I want to invest money into a 40+ year old cartridge? I am only assuming that the stylus is bad. I just know that I got a very distorted sound out of one channel when I tried after it had been sitting idle for several years.
Some sources tell me that cartridges last for years and other sources say that any electronic component can deteriorate over time. I think that maybe it may not be a good idea to replace the stylus or upgrade either. I have the new AT95E that I have been enjoying the heck out of, and it might be a better idea that I should save my pennies towards a future upgrade such as the VM530M you mentioned. I've already been looking at some of these in any case.
I still have that AT216EP with its universal adapter set-up which I mounted into a headshell finally, but have yet to try it on the turntable. It features a nude Shibata stylus as well.
THanks
Jdog1958

United States of America

Postby Jdog1958 » 22 Apr 2018 08:28

I decided to go with a stock (generic) stylus from LPGear for now. I figure it to be a bit safer if I'm not sure of the state of the cartridge. I do plan to upgrade at a later date. I can always go with an upgrade for the AT911E as you suggested or or just shell out the bucks for another higher up cartridge.
I do appreciate the advice, though.
Jdog1958

United States of America

Postby Jdog1958 » 26 Apr 2018 07:57

AT911E.JPG
Got the replacement stylus for the AT911E and a headshell from LPGear. It still sounds good for a 40 year old cartridge!

However, I'm not crazy about the headshell. I can tell there is a difference in quality between it and the AT's I bought. It was hard to get it into the end of the tonearm. I had to use way more force than I was comfortable with.
Jdog1958

United States of America

Postby Jdog1958 » 27 Apr 2018 05:07

I have been trying out the cartridge, and I know they are supposed to have a "break-in" period but I think it sounds maybe a bit too harsh and brassy? Tinny? I don't know. Can I expect it to get better?
Jdog1958

United States of America

Postby Jdog1958 » 04 Jun 2018 08:59

An update on the AT911E - It has mellowed with some time spent playing and sounds even better than ever for a budget cartridge. I did discover that the LPGear stylus I bought is stated to be "better than the original". Indeed, the original was supplied with a .4 x .7 elliptical and the replacement is a .3 x .7 mil elliptical - a bit better. I haven't compared old with the new as I don't trust the old stylus, that it isn't worn out. I used it A LOT back in the day.

It's also going to be a test bed for an upgrade - I just ordered one of LPGear's Vivid Line stylus' for it.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATS12VL.html

It's going to be a boring cartridge to photograph though as the stylus is white and so is the body of cartridge.
:bored:
Jdog1958

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps