the home of the turntable

nagaoka MP-110

the thin end of the wedge

nagaoka MP-110

Postby cpd_cpd » 14 Mar 2018 14:03

I recently upgraded the stock cart on my turntable to a Nagaoka MP-110 after reading several positive reviews. I aligned carefully using a custom arc protractor and have put ~40 hours on it.

It generally sounds nice ("warm") to my ear; however, I have noticed a significant sibilance on some records that other reviews speak about. Is this simply a characteristic of the cartridge, or are there adjustments that I can make to minimize it? It doesn't necessarily sound "bad," but it does tend to distract me on some records.
cpd_cpd

United States of America

Re: nagaoka MP-110

Postby antennaguru » 14 Mar 2018 15:31

I would try an increase in Vertical Tracking Force to the maximum of the range suggested by Nagaoaka, and maybe even 1/10th gram higher to allow for measurement inaccuracy. A new cartridge sometimes has a stiff suspension that ridges higher until it settles in.
antennaguru

United States of America

Postby fudgemaster » 14 Mar 2018 21:15

You may need to increase VTA, if you haven't already done it.
fudgemaster

United Kingdom

Postby mythrenegade » 15 Mar 2018 03:02

cpd_cpd wrote:I recently upgraded the stock cart on my turntable to a Nagaoka MP-110 after reading several positive reviews. I aligned carefully using a custom arc protractor and have put ~40 hours on it.

It generally sounds nice ("warm") to my ear; however, I have noticed a significant sibilance on some records that other reviews speak about. Is this simply a characteristic of the cartridge, or are there adjustments that I can make to minimize it? It doesn't necessarily sound "bad," but it does tend to distract me on some records.

After months of fiddling I benched mine. Protractors, VTA adjustments, nothing helped. I couldn’t get rid of the sibilance or the inner groove distortion no matter what I did. I loved the sound on the outer tracks of non sibilant records but too much was just sounding bad. The crappy used AT-71E I got thrown in with the turntable exhibits way less sibilance (or none at all) on the same records and less IGD.

I’m kinda discouraged by the whole thing, to be honest.

Joel
mythrenegade

Postby cpd_cpd » 15 Mar 2018 15:24

Thanks for the replies. I tried increasing tracking force to the max of the range (2g). It is hard to tell if that helped--maybe a tiny bit--but the overall effect that I am describing is still there.

Joel, I haven't engaged in months of fiddling, but I was a little worried, based on various things that I've now read, that it would be in vane. It is definitely worse on some records, and I agree that the sound is lovely when it isn't overly sibilant. I'm afraid to try tweaking with the VTA--read an article on that and it isn't clear to me whether I can even do that with my unit (DP300F). I suppose I'll just have to avoid songs that heavily feature the letter "s."
cpd_cpd

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps