the home of the turntable

Sansui or Shure

the thin end of the wedge

Sansui or Shure

Postby rengiwe » 13 Mar 2018 20:32

Hello Vinyl friends ....

have a Kenwood KD 5010 with a Sansui SN 60 and new needle. But I'm also in possession of a Shure M75MG Type 2 (needle 15 years old, but unplayed).

Is the Shure system higher quality and worth it to change? In my old Dual 1019 I have a Shure M44MG and since I like the slightly warmer
rengiwe

Germany

Re: Sansui or Shure

Postby SpeakerMania » 13 Mar 2018 21:47

Greetings! Both of these cartridges and styli are referenced here in the library. Both would seem to be from the same era, the SN-60 being the replacement for an original SC-60, a spherical stylus. The Shure appears to be a bi-radial eliptical, and has a significantly higher output level than the Sansui. As such, the Shure is a higher quality cartridge on specs, and should provide a better and bigger sound experience. You could obtain a second headshell for the Sansui, and use it for your less choice records and reserve the Shure for your better records. Try them both, see which you like best...I'm thinking the Shure will have the edge here. Welcome, and best of luck! :D
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby rengiwe » 13 Mar 2018 22:04

Nearly what I expected. Thanks. The Shure cartrige leaves a better optical Impression...mor tecnical and professional.

The SN60 is...bit plastic. Still the sound on SN60 is okay, but what should I do instead with the M75? I do not think that it makes sense to replace the M44MG on the Dual 1019 :-)
rengiwe

Germany

Postby SpeakerMania » 13 Mar 2018 22:40

I think it depends a bit on the music you listen to the most. I would personally use the Shure M75 for music that has a broad mid-range and more high notes, like acoustic guitar, strings and perhaps piano. Orchestral would likely also be better with the elliptical stylus. The more complex the composition, the more the elliptical will come into play. I personally play a lot of progressive rock, which usually has a lot of detail, and I can really tell when I am using one of my tables with a finer elliptical. For general play, I have a Shure M95E cartridge on a Technics D202 that I enjoy the sound of. More detailed listening is done on a Technics SL-Q200 with an hyper-elliptical T4P cartridge and it reveals a great deal of music nuances than Shure. Again, as we say here, Let your ears be your guide! Cheers! :)
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby rengiwe » 13 Mar 2018 22:45

I will make a try...

Thx^^
rengiwe

Germany

Postby rengiwe » 20 Mar 2018 10:32

Hello again - now i succeded and bougth an Thakker headshell and mounted the Dual cartrige. Was a bit tricky because the headshell´s Center is a bit mor outside than the original. Therefor i had to modify the Thakker headshell a bit.

The Dual sound is a different than the Sansui but after all not worth all the trouble. The Dual is better for organ an classic Music. Pop is (imho) better with Sansui cartrige!

rengiwe

Germany

Postby SpeakerMania » 20 Mar 2018 17:44

Congratulations on successfully mounting the cartridge to the headshell....albeit with some innovation along the way. Part of the interest of this hobby is how different combinations can produce distinctly different results. Although not eye-opening results, it is nonetheless nice to have options when playing a record now. I have 4 turntables actively in use, each with a different sound profile, that I can select depending on my choice of music genre at the moment. Much easier than fussing with mounting different cartridges when my taste changes. Variety is the spice, of life....enjoy life with either cartridge! =D>
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby rengiwe » 20 Mar 2018 22:18

For me it was a big surprise that my KD-4020 tangential (MMD) has a better sound (classic, Pop and rock) than the Dual DJT301.1 with AT-cartrige. The same with my three KD-491f (original T4P): they sound astonishing fair - no big noise and quite good sound on Pop-Vinyl...

so far... it seems for classic the Dual (M44 and M75) ar first choice. The MMD of the KD4020 is an astonishing allrounder - quite as good as the shure. Pop and Rock is good/okay on all the others - in my humble opinion the T4P ist bit better than the Sansui Sn60...more natural-Pop..

rengiwe

Germany

Postby SpeakerMania » 20 Mar 2018 23:04

I too am a huge fan of both T4P and linear turntables. In my experience, they produce some of the best reproduction of recorded music. One must remember that both of these technologies were leading edge for turntables, the epitome of the art, at the same time that CD was being introduced to the market. As a result, for those in the know, because of the manufacturers attempts to extend the vinyl sales as much as possible, the technology was pushed to it's ultimate form, so the result was perhaps the ultimate refinement of vinyl reproduction. Those of us that know....know and appreciate...others debate and deny. Pleased to hear you are enjoying the experience! :D
SpeakerMania

Canada

Return to Cartridges and Preamps