My best cartridge...

the thin end of the wedge
farispaul
member
member
New Zealand
Posts: 146
Joined: 07 May 2008 05:14
Location: New Zealand

My best cartridge...

Post by farispaul » 22 Feb 2018 01:41

Hi,
All have real NOS styli. except MC.
What do you think?

Akg p7e
Akg p8e
Audio Technica at-13sa
Audio Technica at-14s
Audio Technica at-14sa
Audio Technica at-160ml
Audio Technica at-140lc

ADC 25 set of 3 styli
ADC XLM mk2
ADC XLM mk2 improved
ADC 10 mk2
Azden ym-p20

Empire 2000z
Grace f-8
Nagaoka mp200
Shure v15 mkIII
Shure ml-120
Shure m91ed
Shure m75he
Shure mv24
Pickering vsx3000
Pickering xv-15 1200
PICKERING UV-15 2400
Sony xl-33
Supex 900 super (retipped paratrace alum. cant.)
Signet tk7ea
Signet tk5ea
Technics epc205ed mk2
Technics epc205ed mk3
Technics epc-p205ed mk3

Searing75
member
member
Posts: 78
Joined: 19 Dec 2014 00:38

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by Searing75 » 22 Feb 2018 01:54

No Shure M97HE? That’s what’s missing! :lol:

farispaul
member
member
New Zealand
Posts: 146
Joined: 07 May 2008 05:14
Location: New Zealand

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by farispaul » 22 Feb 2018 02:12

Oh,
Thanks. I forgot, have that also.
m97he and n97ej styli for it.
also..
Shure m3d-21d
Shure m95ed
Ortofon om20
Ortofon Rohmann (needs a retip, not heard it)
JVC z1
Denon dl-103
Sumiko blue point special

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 22535
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 04:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by Alec124c41 » 22 Feb 2018 04:09

Which is your favorite?
I'd like to hear the Shelter.

Cheers,
Alec

farispaul
member
member
New Zealand
Posts: 146
Joined: 07 May 2008 05:14
Location: New Zealand

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by farispaul » 22 Feb 2018 07:04

Favourite? I am enjoying the 2000z, epc205's,the MP200 and the Supex. I have been collecting for a while, and haven't heard all of the them. The top Audio tech. are nice also, very clear but the others listed above are funkier. Plus some need different tonearms eg. dl103 to sound right.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 22535
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 04:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by Alec124c41 » 22 Feb 2018 17:05

Alec124c41 wrote:Which is your favorite?
I'd like to hear the Shelter.

Cheers,
Alec
Sorry, I meant Supex.
I think part of my brain is dyslexic.

Cheers,
Alec

Boltman92124
senior member
senior member
Posts: 781
Joined: 23 Jan 2016 00:18
Location: San Diego

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by Boltman92124 » 22 Feb 2018 18:48

With that many cartridges, I am curious>

1.) How do you decide which one to listen to next?
2.) Are most of these mounted on headshells ready to go?
3.) What was the most expensive of the bunch?

sturgus
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 538
Joined: 29 Aug 2002 05:01
Location: St. louis Mo.

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by sturgus » 25 Feb 2018 05:53

Many nice cartridges you have. I have a soft spot for the AKG-8e just a damn nice sounding cartridge.

totem
member
member
Canada
Posts: 214
Joined: 06 Oct 2006 15:40
Location: Vancouver

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by totem » 25 Feb 2018 22:40

Best depends on what arm they will be mounted on and individual compliance figures.
Light, medium or heavy.

noisefreq
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 821
Joined: 20 Feb 2013 21:04
Location: Independence

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by noisefreq » 25 Feb 2018 23:17

What do I think?

I think you need to post pictures on the Cartridge close-ups thread.

farispaul
member
member
New Zealand
Posts: 146
Joined: 07 May 2008 05:14
Location: New Zealand

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by farispaul » 27 Feb 2018 00:12

Boltman92124 wrote:With that many cartridges, I am curious>

1.) How do you decide which one to listen to next?
2.) Are most of these mounted on headshells ready to go?
3.) What was the most expensive of the bunch?
1) Reading about it on forums, or just want a change
2) 50% are for 3009 s2 imp or Audio Technica at1503. Non-swap mounted on Design Build Listen Wand plus (12"), rb300 or a couple of Grace 707.
3) The Supex re-tip incl. taxes!

farispaul
member
member
New Zealand
Posts: 146
Joined: 07 May 2008 05:14
Location: New Zealand

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by farispaul » 27 Feb 2018 00:17

Cheapest - Audio Technica atn160ml, Signet tkn7ea and Pickering xsv3000 stylus NZD $10 each! :D :D :D :D

Boltman92124
senior member
senior member
Posts: 781
Joined: 23 Jan 2016 00:18
Location: San Diego

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by Boltman92124 » 27 Feb 2018 00:19

farispaul wrote:
Boltman92124 wrote:With that many cartridges, I am curious>

1.) How do you decide which one to listen to next?
2.) Are most of these mounted on headshells ready to go?
3.) What was the most expensive of the bunch?
1) Reading about it on forums, or just want a change
2) 50% are for 3009 s2 imp or Audio Technica at1503. Non-swap mounted on Design Build Listen Wand plus (12"), rb300 or a couple of Grace 707.
3) The Supex re-tip incl. taxes!
Nice. Yes, forums like this and others end up stimulating the cartridge economy for sure. I think I'm done buying them for awhile at 8...unless I start looking at them again! #-o

farispaul
member
member
New Zealand
Posts: 146
Joined: 07 May 2008 05:14
Location: New Zealand

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by farispaul » 27 Feb 2018 00:57

Boltman92124 wrote:
farispaul wrote:
Boltman92124 wrote:With that many cartridges, I am curious>

1.) How do you decide which one to listen to next?
2.) Are most of these mounted on headshells ready to go?
3.) What was the most expensive of the bunch?
1) Reading about it on forums, or just want a change
2) 50% are for 3009 s2 imp or Audio Technica at1503. Non-swap mounted on Design Build Listen Wand plus (12"), rb300 or a couple of Grace 707.
3) The Supex re-tip incl. taxes!
Nice. Yes, forums like this and others end up stimulating the cartridge economy for sure. I think I'm done buying them for awhile at 8...unless I start looking at them again! #-o
Easier to store than speakers, cars, wives etc. :D

dahoo
member
member
China
Posts: 212
Joined: 22 Apr 2008 05:02
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Re: My best cartridge...

Post by dahoo » 27 Feb 2018 04:02

farispaul wrote:Cheapest - Audio Technica atn160ml, Signet tkn7ea and Pickering xsv3000 stylus NZD $10 each! :D :D :D :D
at160ml for $10 in NZD or USD $7? total robbery. don't know the other two but probably robberies too.

Post Reply