the home of the turntable

TC-750 Preamp - replacement power supply?

the thin end of the wedge

TC-750 Preamp - replacement power supply?

Postby Dave-M » 19 Feb 2018 22:59

Hi,

I have just bought the TC-750 preamp and the power supply that comes with it is a two pin variety, the same as a UK shaver. The problem is that this kind of plug needs an adapter and is bulky and won’t fit where It needs to go, so I’m looking for a replacement that has a UK 3 pin plug on it.

I did a bit of googling and found some conflicting info, some of it on here. The power supply that comes with it is a 15v 200mA and the box itself has the same info printed on.

Could anyone that is familiar with this preamp recommend me a reasonable quality replacement power supply please?

Thanks.
Dave-M

United Kingdom

Re: TC-750 Preamp - replacement power supply?

Postby ammarmariti » 20 Feb 2018 05:21

That's a little weird, my TC750 came with a 12V not 15V power supply. However, the fleabay seller has the option to opt for a better PSU, the one that kinda looks like a laptop power adapter and not the wallwart so I took that one. As to how they sound compared to each other, I don't know since I don't have both to compare but the wiring helps a lot with the placement. It doesn't come with a UK 3 pin plug so you'll need a converter.

Try and ask your seller if they have an upgraded power supply.
ammarmariti

Malaysia

Postby Alec124c41 » 20 Feb 2018 06:13

Go to your local electronic supply store, and buy a 12 volt DC wall wart. Take the TC750 to make sure you get the right output plug that fits the preamp.
Make sure that it is center positive, outer sleeve negative.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby Dave-M » 20 Feb 2018 12:12

Alec124c41 wrote:Go to your local electronic supply store, and buy a 12 volt DC wall wart. Take the TC750 to make sure you get the right output plug that fits the preamp.
Make sure that it is center positive, outer sleeve negative.

Cheers,
Alec

Thanks for the replies. Is there a reason you recommend a 12v power supply? In my first post I mentioned that there was conflicting info and I think it was your reply on another TC-750 post where you recommended a 12v supply to someone else that threw me! Did the TC-750 used to be 12v? That would explain it?

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... 165507.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... 105037.jpg

Thanks.
Dave-M

United Kingdom

Postby Dave-M » 20 Feb 2018 12:24

ammarmariti wrote:That's a little weird, my TC750 came with a 12V not 15V power supply. However, the fleabay seller has the option to opt for a better PSU, the one that kinda looks like a laptop power adapter and not the wallwart so I took that one. As to how they sound compared to each other, I don't know since I don't have both to compare but the wiring helps a lot with the placement. It doesn't come with a UK 3 pin plug so you'll need a converter.

Try and ask your seller if they have an upgraded power supply.

Thanks, It was an Amazon seller, fulfilled by Amazon, there doesn't seem to be a way to contact them directly.

I can't use it with a converter as it will not physically fit into the mains socket because it sticks out too far and also to the side, the extension socket/lead is hidden behind a cabinet and there's room for standard UK plugs and at a push a medium sized mains adapter, the wires on the supplied adapter are also not long enough and the connection isn't very secure between the two adapters even if it could fit! I think the only way I could use it as it is, would be to move it elsewhere in the room, but that would mean longer RCA leads, like 8ft or something like that.
Dave-M

United Kingdom

Postby Alec124c41 » 20 Feb 2018 17:25

My 754 has a power socket, labeled 12 volts. Most 12 power supplies actually put out a bit higher than that.
I don't think the exact voltage is critical, as long as it is in the 12 - 15 volt range.
The original PS i probably about 300 mv. Get a 500 mv, center positive, with the right size plug (on both ends. Transformer base is probably better than switching technology. This should cost you no more than 5 to 10 pounds.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Return to Cartridges and Preamps