the home of the turntable

Audio Technica AT-35

the thin end of the wedge

Audio Technica AT-35

Postby DavidSC » 18 Feb 2018 12:34

I have an Audio Technica AT-35 cartridge with no stylus, and I have no idea if it would work if I got one. Is it worth putting on eBay, or would a new stylus cost more than it's worth?
DavidSC

United Kingdom

Re: Audio Technica AT-35

Postby spensar » 18 Feb 2018 16:56

The database shows an AT-35 E that is a moving coil and an T 35 X that is moving coil. Any idea which you have - perhaps post up a picture.
spensar
contributor

Canada

Postby denvertrakker » 18 Feb 2018 17:31

The AT-35 is a moving coil, but unusual in that a replacement stylus is available (actually, almost all of the cartridge including the coils). All you'd be keeping is the body that the coils/stylus snaps into. The assembly is quite expensive, so I'd suggest you try to sell it "as is", and let the buyer obtain a replacement. It's a decent old cart, but not super-duper.

Cheers,
Larry B.
denvertrakker

United States of America

Postby themisto462 » 18 Feb 2018 18:21

:-k

The first thing that comes to my mind with AT-35, is this here:

1967-AT-35X.jpg
audio-technica AT-35, 1967

Known as AT-35S with a spherical stylus or as AT-35X with an elliptical stylus... .

Now the question is, which one is it...?
themisto462
contributor

Germany

Postby denvertrakker » 18 Feb 2018 18:32

Audio-Technica_ATN35E.jpg
Audio-Technica_ATN35E.jpg (11.7 KiB) Viewed 336 times
That's not it. Sometimes A-T numbers can be confusing. This is the stylus for what I believe he has.

Cheers,
Larry B.
denvertrakker

United States of America

Postby spensar » 18 Feb 2018 21:11

denvertrakker wrote:The AT-35 is a moving coil, but unusual in that a replacement stylus is available (actually, almost all of the cartridge including the coils). All you'd be keeping is the body that the coils/stylus snaps into. The assembly is quite expensive, so I'd suggest you try to sell it "as is", and let the buyer obtain a replacement. It's a decent old cart, but not super-duper.

Cheers,
Larry B.

But we can't tell exactly what the OP has. The AT-35X that the picture was posted for is in the VE database as an MM cartridge, the stylus from LPgear you put posted says AT-35E which the database lists as an MC, so it does look like they used AT-35 for both a MM and MC cartridge.
spensar
contributor

Canada

Postby DavidSC » 19 Feb 2018 09:08

Thanks for all your replies. It looks exactly like the one in themisto462's above, with the bright orange stylus holder (the stylus is snapped off at the base). From what you have all told me, I think I'll put it up on eBay as is and see what happens.
DavidSC

United Kingdom

Postby themisto462 » 19 Feb 2018 10:56

Hello DavidSC,

DavidSC wrote:...and I have no idea if it would work if I got one.

To check, whether the cartridge still works, you could measure the resistance of the coils at the connection pins with a multi meter.

In my opinion, these are great sounding cartridges (I have a few of the successors of the AT-35, which are basically the same) and worth keeping. But unfortunately, the selection of suitable replacement styli for this type of cartridge is very limited, because of its unique housing.

Current available original needles that I know are:

Garrard 2671 D (bonded spherical stylus tip); available for ~ £24
AT-35S (nude (?) spherical stylus tip); available for ~ £25
AT-VM35EL (nude elliptical stylus tip, 0.2 x 0.7 mil); available for ~ £59
ATS13 (nude elliptical stylus tip, 0.2 x 0.7 mil); available for ~ £71 (excl. shipping)
ATS14 (nude Shibata stylus tip); available for ~ £133 (excl. shipping)

Another suitable option would be the stylus of the JVC 4DT-20X (audio-technica VM35F). Like the ATS14 it has a nude Shibata diamond tip, but nowadays it is really hard to find.

I know, that some shops in Europe (Thakker.eu for example) have them in stock, but there are also some vendors at eBay, who offer the AT-35S, the ATS13 & the AT-VM35EL stylus.

I hope this helps you a bit further.

Best regards.
themisto462
contributor

Germany

Postby spensar » 19 Feb 2018 16:31

DavidSC wrote:Thanks for all your replies. It looks exactly like the one in themisto462's above, with the bright orange stylus holder (the stylus is snapped off at the base). From what you have all told me, I think I'll put it up on eBay as is and see what happens.

Do you have another cartridge to replace it with? For what you can get, you may spend vs.
a new stylus you may spend much more to only get something maybe as good. David has listed original needles for decent prices which are not possible to get for a lot of brands.
spensar
contributor

Canada

Postby DavidSC » 19 Feb 2018 19:20

P1050540.JPG
Thanks for your post Spensar,
Like many contributors to this site, I can count about eight other cartridges in my collection, including Shures M75ED, M3DM, and M44-C with truncated-tip stylus for 78s, a Stanton 681eee, and a clutch of Decca FFSSs. The AT-35 came attached to an SME arm that I bought not long ago to replace the FFSS arm, and I just don't feel the need for it. I hope that someone out there will appreciate it, for whatever it goes for. Thanks, as always, to all those who replied with such helpful information. A photo of the AT-35 is included with this post.
DavidSC

United Kingdom

Postby lini » 20 Feb 2018 06:21

t462: A couple of minor corrections/clarifications: First 35er model was the AT-35X with stock needle type AT35-EL, marked as AT-35X; alternatively available needle type AT35-5D (0.5 mil conical), marked as AT-35S - but as far as I'm aware, the latter practically was only a virtual cartridge model designation, as AT apparently didn't offer a complete AT-35S. A couple of years later came the AT-VM35 (stock needle VM35-EL, marked as AT-VM35) - and afaik both the AT35-EL and the VM35-EL still were 0.3 x 0.7, with the latter sporting a (still pretty fat) tapered cantilever version and a visor-guard. And only a tad later the AT-VM35F with needle VM35-FD (marked as AT-VM35F) was introduced as AT's first Shibata model.

So already at that time AT would typically mark the needles with the cart model designation rather than the needle designation. This might sometimes cause some confusion, if the cardboard box with the needle designation around the inner platic box has already been lost, so that the one or other vendor may only know the cartridge model designation...

And yes, iirc, the AT35-5D still sported a nude diamond - just like the VM3-5D for the AT-VM3.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Germany

Return to Cartridges and Preamps