the home of the turntable

Grado Gold vs Shure M97XE

the thin end of the wedge

Grado Gold vs Shure M97XE

Postby patfraley » 14 Feb 2018 01:12

I have a Grado prestige Gold cartridge that needs a new stylus. To replace with another Gold it runs $150. I could put a lower grade Grado stylus (say black) for $50 or more. However, right now you can get a Shure M97XE for $79, which seems like a great deal compared to it's list price of 150+.

I don't have any experience with Shure, but read good things. Any suggestions on which route you would take to get the most bang for your buck??
patfraley

United States of America

Re: Grado Gold vs Shure M97XE

Postby donovan » 14 Feb 2018 15:04

The Gold (which I had awhile ago) is good, but the Shure M97xE (I use currently) is the better bargain in my opinion. BTW, where is this only $79??
donovan

Postby rich12 » 14 Feb 2018 15:24

The Shure is warm balanced, tracks very well, and provides very good value at $79, but it will never have the luscious midrange of the Grado. The AT95 provides even better value, but it isn't warm balanced like the Shure and Grado. "You pays your money and you takes your choice."
rich12

Postby derspankster » 14 Feb 2018 15:31

You can get a Black2 for $75. A lot of cartridge for the money!

der
derspankster
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby abs1 » 14 Feb 2018 16:03

patfraley wrote:I have a Grado prestige Gold cartridge that needs a new stylus. To replace with another Gold it runs $150. I could put a lower grade Grado stylus (say black) for $50 or more. However, right now you can get a Shure M97XE for $79, which seems like a great deal compared to it's list price of 150+.

I don't have any experience with Shure, but read good things. Any suggestions on which route you would take to get the most bang for your buck??

I own both cartridges.

I find the Gold1 to be boring. I can't say that it does anything very wrong, but it certainly doesn't do anything that allows it to distinguish itself either. Certainly not for my tastes in music or my sound preferences. I'd never buy another one. I haven't used mine in a couple of years.

The M97xE is the better of the two, even at less than half the price. It sounds like a Shure, and there's nothing wrong with that. You want to improve it, just replace the stylus with an SAS. It's hard to beat, especially at the sale prices you can find on the 'net. I keep mine handy, for use as a spare.

Cheers,
Al
abs1

United States of America

Postby derspankster » 14 Feb 2018 18:43

I've never owned a M97XE but I do own Shure V15 Types II, III, and IV along with Shure N91E. The type IV is fitted with a JICO SAS stylus. Still enjoy the Shures but for the low entry fee of $75 the Black2 is hard to beat in my opinion. It is so much better than the other Grados I own. I have a 8MZ stylus that I want to try in the Black2 but I can't seem to get it off my table at the moment.

der
derspankster
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby patfraley » 14 Feb 2018 19:22

donovan wrote:The Gold (which I had awhile ago) is good, but the Shure M97xE (I use currently) is the better bargain in my opinion. BTW, where is this only $79??

fullcompass.com
patfraley

United States of America

Postby donovan » 14 Feb 2018 19:24

derspankster wrote:I've never owned a M97XE but I do own Shure V15 Types II, III, and IV along with Shure N91E. The type IV is fitted with a JICO SAS stylus. Still enjoy the Shures but for the low entry fee of $75 the Black2 is hard to beat in my opinion. It is so much better than the other Grados I own. I have a 8MZ stylus that I want to try in the Black2 but I can't seem to get it off my table at the moment.

der

Is the new Grado Black2 that much different then the plain Grado Black of a few years ago??
donovan

Postby patfraley » 14 Feb 2018 19:28

I decided to take advantage of the $79 price and got the Shure. I also like the idea of trying something new. I still plan on replacing the stylus on the Grado. Too good a cartridge to have lying around and not in the rotation..thanks for the insight all. Much appreciated
patfraley

United States of America

Postby derspankster » 14 Feb 2018 19:45

donovan wrote:
derspankster wrote:I've never owned a M97XE but I do own Shure V15 Types II, III, and IV along with Shure N91E. The type IV is fitted with a JICO SAS stylus. Still enjoy the Shures but for the low entry fee of $75 the Black2 is hard to beat in my opinion. It is so much better than the other Grados I own. I have a 8MZ stylus that I want to try in the Black2 but I can't seem to get it off my table at the moment.

der

Is the new Grado Black2 that much different then the plain Grado Black of a few years ago??

IMHO absolutely. I owned Black1 for a short while and didn't really like it. Heavy, rolled off highs - nice mid-range though. Not bad for my preferred jazz music but still not a keeper in my book. The Black2, on the other hand, is much better, still great mids, bass better defined and much better highs. Very quiet in the groove too. Love it with jazz. A great deal for $75 in my book. I paid $100 more than that just for the JICO SAS stylus for my Type IV.

der
derspankster
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby donovan » 15 Feb 2018 01:22

patfraley wrote:I decided to take advantage of the $79 price and got the Shure. I also like the idea of trying something new. I still plan on replacing the stylus on the Grado. Too good a cartridge to have lying around and not in the rotation..thanks for the insight all. Much appreciated

Will you share where the Shure M97Xe is only $79
donovan

Postby Searing75 » 15 Feb 2018 01:43

donovan wrote:
patfraley wrote:I decided to take advantage of the $79 price and got the Shure. I also like the idea of trying something new. I still plan on replacing the stylus on the Grado. Too good a cartridge to have lying around and not in the rotation..thanks for the insight all. Much appreciated

Will you share where the Shure M97Xe is only $79

Full compass.com
Searing75

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps