the home of the turntable

Hana vs Nagaoka

the thin end of the wedge

Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby Byron4 » 11 Feb 2018 16:10

I have been watching Ian's reviews on HIVINYWS with interest. I found his reviews both interesting, unbiased and informative. Apparently he feels the Nagaoka MP-150 at 60% of the price of the Hana EL is a better cartridge based on his replies to viewer comments. His upcoming video is going to talk about this and give his reasons. I am very interested in this upcoming video review for two reasons. My Hana EH (the high output version of the E series) is the best cartridge I have ever owned and I have never heard the Nagaoka cartrdges and may like to buy one in the future. I am curious if anyone else has heard both or at least the Nagaokas and would like to comment.
Byron4
member
member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 02 Aug 2016 21:06

United States of America

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby AlwaysAirborne » 14 Feb 2018 02:40

I also enjoy Ian's reviews, but wouldn't say that he is unbiased. His equipment, set-up procedures, music preferences, and personal tastes color his point of view - just as it should. :D I'll be interested to see what he says in his upcoming video. I'm sure it will spark some rigorous debate.

Anyway, I'm a Nagaoka fan with both a MP-110 and MP-200. If I was given the choice between a MP-200 and a Hana EH I would take the Hana. While I like my MP-200 very much it lacks a bit in sparkle and sound stage. For warmer musical styles its a treat, but I would prefer the Hana as an all-arounder since I mostly listen to rock and classical.
AlwaysAirborne
member
member
 
Posts: 139
Images: 1
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 01:36
Location: Near the Needle Doctor

United States of America

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby DeepEnd » 14 Feb 2018 14:57

I also enjoy Ian's videos and even using my modest Sennheiser CX5.00i (with the foam "bungs" reduced to a third of their length) via the various digital/compression systems on an iPad mini/YouTube manage to hear the differences.

Yes he has a preference of "sound" (e.g. doesn't particularly like AT's presentation) but there are a few things I do like:-
1. He normally purchases a lot of the items out of his own funds.
2. He produces audio samples of what he is trying to comment on.
3. He is enthusiastic about music/HiFi and at least tries to show a range of samples of pop, classical, jazz etc. etc.
4. If he doesn't like something he tries to explain "why" and does not (like a lot of other sources) give a rather bland "OK" review.

I am looking forward to his Hana EL review for his full thoughts (even though his has already hinted the MP150 is better).
DeepEnd
senior member
senior member
contributor
 
Posts: 942
Joined: 19 Dec 2014 11:21
Location: Lancashire

United Kingdom

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby plastico » 14 Feb 2018 17:54

Thanks Byron4 for the HIVINYWS info! Very entertaining!
Cheers, Doug
plastico
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 550
Images: 32
Joined: 22 Mar 2008 23:44
Location: Sudbury,Canada

Canada

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby Byron4 » 18 Feb 2018 19:44

Just finished watching Ian's review/comparison of the Hana EL and the Nagaoka MP-150. I have not had the opportunity to listen to any Nagaoka cartridges however I think his description of the Hana EL was similar to my experience with the Hana EH with two exceptions. I found my Hana had great dynamics and performed great on orchestra and jazz music. Also, I found the bass to be decent although not as good as the Grado Platinum. I am wondering if this is because I have the EH (HOMC) vs his review of the EL (LOMC). I have used a couple of LOMC Talisman phono cartridges in the past and found the bass to be a little light based on my memory. It doesn't really matter because I still consider my Hana EH to be the best cartridge I have ever owned. Too bad Stereophile does not review the Nagaoka MP-150 or the MP-200 and compare them to the Hana EH. Only a cursory review of the Nagaoka MP-500 and only rated a "C" cartridge in their recommended components. The video made me really want to try a Nagaoka cartridge. Unfortunately I know of only two dealers in the United States Turntableneedles and LP Gear and both have the prices of the Nagaoka MP-150 and MP-200 substantially higher than a few years ago. I may try the Nagaoka MP-110 which seems to very popular. I still enjoyed this video along with his other videos despite my disappointment with his review results of the Hana. I appreciate the fact he reviews real world products that he buys with his own money. I guess if everyone liked the same cartridge there would only be one cartridge available and that would be boring.
Byron4
member
member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 02 Aug 2016 21:06

United States of America

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby cminor7b5 » 19 Feb 2018 04:51

Kudos to Ian for an interesting revtew!
cminor7b5
member
member
 
Posts: 227
Joined: 12 Jun 2017 00:36

Canada

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby a.wayne » 19 Feb 2018 06:14

Byron4 wrote:I have been watching Ian's reviews on HIVINYWS with interest. I found his reviews both interesting, unbiased and informative. Apparently he feels the Nagaoka MP-150 at 60% of the price of the Hana EL is a better cartridge based on his replies to viewer comments. His upcoming video is going to talk about this and give his reasons. I am very interested in this upcoming video review for two reasons. My Hana EH (the high output version of the E series) is the best cartridge I have ever owned and I have never heard the Nagaoka cartrdges and may like to buy one in the future. I am curious if anyone else has heard both or at least the Nagaokas and would like to comment.



I found Ian reviews completely void of groove noise, ticks and pops and all things vinyl in general , in the End the Nagaoka MP150 is the best cartridge on the world and Ian has the cleanest and finest records ever ...


Must be so ... :)
a.wayne
member
member
 
Posts: 212
Joined: 01 Dec 2012 01:50

United States of America

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby a.wayne » 19 Feb 2018 06:15

Byron4 wrote:Just finished watching Ian's review/comparison of the Hana EL and the Nagaoka MP-150. I have not had the opportunity to listen to any Nagaoka cartridges however I think his description of the Hana EL was similar to my experience with the Hana EH with two exceptions. I found my Hana had great dynamics and performed great on orchestra and jazz music. Also, I found the bass to be decent although not as good as the Grado Platinum. I am wondering if this is because I have the EH (HOMC) vs his review of the EL (LOMC). I have used a couple of LOMC Talisman phono cartridges in the past and found the bass to be a little light based on my memory. It doesn't really matter because I still consider my Hana EH to be the best cartridge I have ever owned. Too bad Stereophile does not review the Nagaoka MP-150 or the MP-200 and compare them to the Hana EH. Only a cursory review of the Nagaoka MP-500 and only rated a "C" cartridge in their recommended components. The video made me really want to try a Nagaoka cartridge. Unfortunately I know of only two dealers in the United States Turntableneedles and LP Gear and both have the prices of the Nagaoka MP-150 and MP-200 substantially higher than a few years ago. I may try the Nagaoka MP-110 which seems to very popular. I still enjoyed this video along with his other videos despite my disappointment with his review results of the Hana. I appreciate the fact he reviews real world products that he buys with his own money. I guess if everyone liked the same cartridge there would only be one cartridge available and that would be boring.


Did you resonance test your Hana setup ..... ??
a.wayne
member
member
 
Posts: 212
Joined: 01 Dec 2012 01:50

United States of America

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby Slavikcc » 19 Feb 2018 14:09

I, too, watched the full review last night and am quite surprised how the Nagaoka MP-150 sounded compared to the Hana EL MC cartridge. His recording samples have greatly improved since his Ortofon Quintet Blue vs the Hana EL review being recorded directly to his PC (or another device?) instead of using a microphone. That way, this helped the viewers hear the differences more clearly.
Slavikcc
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 533
Joined: 27 Jul 2016 02:26

Canada

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby Electone » 23 Feb 2018 04:58

I've been watching his channel for quite a while now, but he threw all credibility out the window when he took a major dump all over the AT440mlb. Its pretty obvious that he has a serious hate-on for anything Audio Technica (or Ortofon for that matter) and detests any cartridges that are bright and/or revealing. His love for the ultra-dull Grado Black kind of seals the deal for his bias.
Electone
member
member
contributor
 
Posts: 169
Joined: 26 Nov 2008 20:58
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Canada

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby woodmakesitgood » 23 Feb 2018 06:40

Electone wrote:I've been watching his channel for quite a while now, but he threw all credibility out the window when he took a major dump all over the AT440mlb. Its pretty obvious that he has a serious hate-on for anything Audio Technica (or Ortofon for that matter) and detests any cartridges that are bright and/or revealing. His love for the ultra-dull Grado Black kind of seals the deal for his bias.


Oddly, the AT440mlb fared very badly in a multi cartridge comparison posted here recently.
Maybe AT is having some issues in production.
woodmakesitgood
member
member
 
Posts: 91
Joined: 21 Jun 2014 21:56
Location: Berkeley, CA

United States of America

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby Byron4 » 25 Feb 2018 18:16

I learned some interesting facts about the Hana cartridge when I visited Masahiro Shibazaki the man responsible for the Hana cartridge. The ExcelSound Corporation originally made the cartridge for Mr. Shibazaki's company Sibatech under the brand name Abis with the model being called Hana. Abis is the brand name of Sibatech's tonearm. Abis is printed on the box of my cartridge which was purchased in 2016. Mr. Shibazaki told me as of early 2017 Sibatech is no longer involved with Excel or the Hana cartridge due to illness and a new company had taken over. This explains why the name Abis has been removed and it just says Hana. Also on the side of the box it is crediting ExcelSound Corporation as the manufacture of the cartridge with exported by Sibatech removed. It is still the same cartridge. I also found out this cartridge although made in Japan is not sold in Japan.

There was some confusion about the the compliance of the Hana. George Merrill did a resonance test using a Jelco 750D tonearm. The results seem consistent with the distributor's opining about it being a fairly low compliance cartridge however I am not an expert on this subject so maybe someone with more knowledge can better explain the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki595441f6s
Byron4
member
member
 
Posts: 31
Joined: 02 Aug 2016 21:06

United States of America

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby zacster » 02 Mar 2018 21:54

I just watched the reviews of the QB vs EL and the EL vs. 150. During the course of the review I found myself both agreeing and disagreeing with his assessments of the sound and the comparisons. Of course, I'm watching using my computer's sound, an iMac 27". I was surprised I could hear some of the subtleties, but surely not all. Anyway, the 150 vs. EL I thought was more of a wash, where they both beat the QB. And look at my signature for what I have, so my bias would normally be towards what I have. But then again, I wouldn't be here looking at the next cartridge if I were totally happy with my QB.

I'm going to have to replay this over my decent headphones and get a better sense, or even over my regular speakers. All that digital conversion though can't be good for the sound.
zacster
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 298
Images: 1
Joined: 01 Feb 2015 12:18
Location: NYC

United States of America

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby Boltman92124 » 02 Mar 2018 22:25

Electone wrote:I've been watching his channel for quite a while now, but he threw all credibility out the window when he took a major dump all over the AT440mlb. Its pretty obvious that he has a serious hate-on for anything Audio Technica (or Ortofon for that matter) and detests any cartridges that are bright and/or revealing. His love for the ultra-dull Grado Black kind of seals the deal for his bias.


Yeah, I was done watching his reviews for the same reason. He ranked the Goldring Elektra tops in one of them...a dull sounding cart that's very rolled off in the treble. In fairness, he may have a very bright sounding system though to begin with.
Boltman92124
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 450
Joined: 23 Jan 2016 00:18
Location: San Diego

United States of America

Re: Hana vs Nagaoka

Postby a.wayne » 03 Mar 2018 16:26

Electone wrote:I've been watching his channel for quite a while now, but he threw all credibility out the window when he took a major dump all over the AT440mlb. Its pretty obvious that he has a serious hate-on for anything Audio Technica (or Ortofon for that matter) and detests any cartridges that are bright and/or revealing. His love for the ultra-dull Grado Black kind of seals the deal for his bias.


The Grado black is not a dull cartridge at all , neither the black nor the Blue, maybe his system is bright or more revealing than your current setup , making you , favor a brighter cartridge than he does, if you think a Grado is dull sounding i can see the AT being your cartridge. These kind of comparisons are always system and listener dependent , easy to forge thru , just forget his opinion and listen to the recorded tracks only ..

Audio : Where one's Euphoria is another's anathema .... :)

The End


Regards
a.wayne
member
member
 
Posts: 212
Joined: 01 Dec 2012 01:50

United States of America

Next

Return to Cartridges and Preamps