Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Preamp

the thin end of the wedge
Post Reply
Beginner Mind
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Jan 2018 15:10

Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Preamp

Post by Beginner Mind » 10 Jan 2018 15:21

So my brothers and I dished out for an Audio Technica AT-LP120USB turntable for our dad for xmas.
Trouble is we didn't get a decent phono preamp so he can't use it!

Can some kind and experienced members please take a look at the specs and
Help us find a reliable phono preamp in the $250 CAD range?
He has an Onkyo receiver with no built in phono preamp or phono port (does it matter what port should we use with the external phone preamp?)

Also a good cleaning kit suggestion?

Thanks in advance

macnoob
long player
long player
Posts: 1179
Joined: 09 Apr 2014 03:07

Re: Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Pream

Post by macnoob » 10 Jan 2018 15:45

LP120 has a built in phono preamp, doesn't it?

Spec page at http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html says it does.

Beginner Mind
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Jan 2018 15:10

Re: Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Pream

Post by Beginner Mind » 10 Jan 2018 15:59

macnoob wrote:LP120 has a built in phono preamp, doesn't it?

Spec page at http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html says it does.
Dang, well maybe it's a problem with his Onkyo HT-RC160 receiver then?
What port to plug in the turntable to?

smeg68
broken record
Posts: 1048
Joined: 15 Jun 2010 05:27

Re: Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Pream

Post by smeg68 » 10 Jan 2018 16:08

Any line level input is fine - the CD input and all the ones to the right of it on the diagram.

don't forget to turn on the preamp with the switch on the back of the turntable.

solvin_dk
member
member
Posts: 34
Joined: 17 Nov 2009 19:06
Location: Denmark

Re: Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Pream

Post by solvin_dk » 10 Jan 2018 16:13

Hi

As I can see there is no phone input. You have to buy a separate riaa amp.

Best regards,

Torben

Beginner Mind
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Jan 2018 15:10

Re: Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Pream

Post by Beginner Mind » 10 Jan 2018 17:23

I am seeing two conflicting replies. Can you Help to clarify pls. Thanks : )

macnoob
long player
long player
Posts: 1179
Joined: 09 Apr 2014 03:07

Re: Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Pream

Post by macnoob » 10 Jan 2018 17:34

Either Torben is wrong or the Audio Technica web site is wrong. What does it say in your manual?

Here's the page for your table: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html

Set the phono preamp LINE using the control switch and connect to a LINE level input on your receiver.

Beginner Mind
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Jan 2018 15:10

Re: Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Pream

Post by Beginner Mind » 10 Jan 2018 18:18

macnoob wrote:Either Torben is wrong or the Audio Technica web site is wrong. What does it say in your manual?

Here's the page for your table: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turnt ... index.html

Set the phono preamp LINE using the control switch and connect to a LINE level input on your receiver.
It's at his place so I will have to go and test it out.
Will report back - but I assume the AT manual is correct. (for now : )

tcolegrove
senior member
senior member
Posts: 259
Joined: 10 Apr 2013 17:26
Location: DuPont, WA
Contact:

Re: Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Pream

Post by tcolegrove » 10 Jan 2018 20:01

solvin_dk wrote:Hi

As I can see there is no phone input. You have to buy a separate riaa amp.

Best regards,

Torben
Sorry, but this is incorrect. Since the turntable is switchable between Phono and Line output - it can be connected to any non-phono input of the amp/receiver with the switch in the 'Line' position.

If that doesn't work - try a different input (perhaps using an input that is a known working input connection). If the problem still exists - further troubleshooting is needed between the turntable and the receiver.

solvin_dk
member
member
Posts: 34
Joined: 17 Nov 2009 19:06
Location: Denmark

Re: Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Pream

Post by solvin_dk » 11 Jan 2018 19:30

tcolegrove wrote:
solvin_dk wrote:Hi

As I can see there is no phone input. You have to buy a separate riaa amp.

Best regards,

Torben
Sorry, but this is incorrect. Since the turntable is switchable between Phono and Line output - it can be connected to any non-phono input of the amp/receiver with the switch in the 'Line' position.

If that doesn't work - try a different input (perhaps using an input that is a known working input connection). If the problem still exists - further troubleshooting is needed between the turntable and the receiver.
I'm very sorry for my answer. :( I am missing around in two questions in this forum. Your Audio Technica AT-LP120USB turntable, have a build in riaa amp. :D

Best regards,

Torben

Beginner Mind
junior member
junior member
Posts: 5
Joined: 10 Jan 2018 15:10

Re: Help Incomplete Xmas Gift for Father - Need Phone Pream

Post by Beginner Mind » 13 Jan 2018 14:32

Thanks to everyone for weighing in here.

Post Reply