Need Headshell & Cartridge for Technics SL-D3

the thin end of the wedge
1murphy

Need Headshell & Cartridge for Technics SL-D3

Post by 1murphy » 04 Jan 2018 02:41

Hi all, new to forum,

A friend of mine just gave me his Technics SL-D3 circa 1986 turntable to repair and get up and running so he can play vinyl. It appears to have an aftermarket headshell and an Andane (Andyne?) cartridge. His kids broke the needle long ago, and now he's looking to get the turntable working again. Easiest fix would be for me to buy a new headshell with a cartridge already installed, plug it in and get rocking.
Headshell isn't necessary, but would make it easier to "plug and play". Any suggestions for a moderate combination that will get this unit up and working? I would prefer to spend less than $100 for the combination, as it's been sitting uncovered and open in his attic for over 10 years. If that only covers a moderate cartridge, I'm kind of ok with that too.

It took me a couple of hours to get it cleaned up, spinning, working tonearm for stop and play, strobe light tracking right speed, Hz, etc. If it is still operational after installing new headshell/cartridge, or just cartridge, I'll let him spend the bigger bucks to upgrade as he sees fit.

Respectfully request any suggestions.

Regards,
Robert

Electone

Re: Need Headshell & Cartridge for Technics SL-D3

Post by Electone » 04 Jan 2018 03:02

SL-D3 is from 1979/80. You can pickup aftermarket Technics-look headshells for about $15.00. Mount an Audio Technica AT95E on it and you've got a great match for that turntable.

1murphy

Post by 1murphy » 04 Jan 2018 05:04

Wow, that old? I saw an 86 stamped on the plastic under the platter and thought that was MFG date. Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 04 Jan 2018 18:24

The cartridge that came with it - it's likely an Andante brand. They're fairly well respected with frequency ranges that run down to 17hz and up to 30khz+ on some models. If you can find a replacement stylus for it your friend would be a happy camper!

Brutas7
South Africa

Technics SL-D3 speed issues

Post by Brutas7 » 21 Jul 2019 12:33

I've had an SL-D3 from new and found the 'strobe' indicator wandered too.

I soon realised that the turntable is DC driven and not synchronous, or locked to the AC mains power supply. Those turntables will show rock-steady strobe lights - all you are being told is that the motor is faithfully following the supply frequency, irrespective of what it might be. Big users of electricity - aluminium smelters, galvanising works and the like - will affect the frequency somewhat. Your AC motors will follow these changes, whereas the DC direct drive will not.

To get the speed 100%, time the platter. It rotates once every 1.8 seconds for 33.3 RPM and that will give perfect results - ignore the strobe! For more accurate speed settings run for 10 revolutions or 18 seconds. In fact, once your platter is rotating at 33.3 RPM you can tell what is happening to the grid frequency. If your platter indicates that it is running fast, rest assured that the grid is running slow! as with your neighbours using AC driven TTs.

In cases where the hole is not in the centre, I use a large scissor and with one of the arms I carve away at the offending side of the hole until the disc runs true, eliminating any 'wow' that was there.

The TT is so quiet, I can't tell the difference between it and a CD - dynamic range and overall frequencies aside, of course . . .

Cheers for now

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Jul 2019 14:28

Disagree. I have one of these. You can rely on the strobe. If the speed is steady, no need to time it, even if the strobe seems to be unsteady, as long as it doesn't drift forward or back. The AT95e cartridge would be a good inexpensive choice.
Figure 5-2 of the owner's manual [url]file:///D:/Users/lenjack/Downloads/ve_technics_sl-d3_fr.pdf[/url] shows how to align the cartridge in the headshell, using the one you already have. I does make a difference just how far forward or back the cartridge is set.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 21 Jul 2019 15:29

Electone wrote:
04 Jan 2018 03:02
SL-D3 is from 1979/80. You can pickup aftermarket Technics-look headshells for about $15.00. Mount an Audio Technica AT95E on it and you've got a great match for that turntable.
Agreed. The AT3600L is a cheaper alternate cart to the AT95, with as good sound. Ebay has this cart with and without a headshell.
Note that even though you might get a cart already mounted on a headshell, you will still need to adjust the alignment and tracking weight for your tt, the alignment in the headshell can be different for different tt's.

And welcome to VE, Robert!

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Jul 2019 15:57

The alignment is as shown in my post.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 22 Jul 2019 16:02

The new VM95e/HS6 headshell combo sells for about $79. Plus you can upgrade the stylus later on.
https://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Tech ... hell-Combo

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 22 Jul 2019 16:50

Nothing special. You still need to mount it in the headshell, and you already have one.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 23 Jul 2019 04:16

If you do decide to get a new cart/headshell combo, keep the old headshell and buy an AT3600L cart for it (very cheap, and as I mentioned, good quality). It is useful to have an alternate headshell/cart to play damaged records with, so you keep your preferred styli in good condition.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jul 2019 05:24

I like the AT3600L, although I have a nice vintage AT4414S for mine, as well...

A fun table, to say the least... :D