Grado Black2

the thin end of the wedge
Post Reply
BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5480
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48
Location: Maine, USA

Re: Grado Black2

Post by BMRR » 10 Feb 2018 19:40

That is interesting...

Laila1
senior member
senior member
Posts: 285
Joined: 05 Apr 2008 22:08
Location: Sweden

Re: Grado Black2

Post by Laila1 » 10 Feb 2018 23:34

Laila1 wrote:
derspankster wrote:
wojo58 wrote:I would also ask the OP how his Grado Black 2 is coming along..... it been a few weeks ??
:D :?:
The Black2 is still on my table. I am certainly enjoying it. With the addition of a little damping fluid to my Jelco arm the coil sounds even better. I've now gone through many of my favorite jazz albums and I continue to like what I hear. Tracking at 1.65 grams with no A/S. I've tried other A/S settings from .5 to 1.5 but always return to none.

der
Hi, I have the same arm that you have and my findings are that the recomended amount of oil(exactly half up) is the correct one. Setting the AS is very picky but for me I landed on about 1.58 for 1.60 tracking force. If you have no AS your neddle vill have a premature wear out, I suppose.

And yes, I was nearly to forget, my cartridge is a Grado Gold2 at about 40 hours.
Edit: Sorry, I have a Jelco 750D and not exactly what you have . . . and the tracking force is 1.50 and A/S is about 1.48. Again, sorry if I mislead someone. :oops:

wojo58
member
member
Posts: 241
Joined: 16 Jan 2017 23:58
Location: Northern Illnois

Re: Grado Black2

Post by wojo58 » 13 Apr 2018 21:46

Two months of running grooves under that Grado Black2. Whats the verdict?

I am thinking of getting one myself, and I'm curious what owners have experienced in that time.

I currently have access to the following carts:

Shure M97xe, At120eb,At95e,At440mlb,At7V

Am I getting something to compliment, or just more of the same? I'm hoping for a Shure-type sound with more soundstage and maybe a little more sparkle....

TD 166 MKII
member
member
Canada
Posts: 132
Joined: 29 Nov 2017 23:07

Re: Grado Black2

Post by TD 166 MKII » 13 Apr 2018 21:58

You may also want to add the Nagaoka 110. I don't know if you have this but. He also reviews almost everyone you have listed.

https://youtu.be/9U5ANqGccmk

mint++
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Jun 2018 19:20

Re: Grado Black2

Post by mint++ » 11 Jun 2018 19:40

I signed up to say thanks to those who have posted in this thread. I factored your posts here into my decision to pick up the Black2 and, so far, just 6-8 hours in, I'm very happy with the results.

Glad to report there is no hum on my U-Turn Orbit (at least at listening volume) and I've noticed an immediate upgrade from my standard AT cartridge (obviously). I'm curious to hear what changes after it's been broken in fully. Hopefully, the elements I'm already enjoying get heightened and it doesn't introduce new elements of which I'd be less fond. Thanks again for all your insights and opinions!

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 10843
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Grado Black2

Post by cafe latte » 12 Jun 2018 00:14

I am sure the black 2 is a great cart as the gold 2 is stunning, but at the price I would be getting the gold 2 is is only just over a couple of hundred bucks, why go the black?
I found setting up so stylus is vertical in groove (you need magnification to do this) then dial up arm height 6-8mm (I found it almost impossible to get 8mm but 6mm leaves room for thick records anyway). This gives stylus 92 degrees which is apparently perfect for Grado elliptical and it apparently makes stylus last longer too.
In my tests of the new Gold 2 it went from very good but a little soft at the top to being perfect across the range and very detailed. I bought the Gold to with a mind to have it retipped with a Patrice, but not going to bother as happy with it how it is for now anyway.
Chris

Laila1
senior member
senior member
Posts: 285
Joined: 05 Apr 2008 22:08
Location: Sweden

Re: Grado Black2

Post by Laila1 » 12 Jun 2018 22:55

What TF do you use?

/ Lars

Boltman92124
senior member
senior member
Posts: 883
Joined: 23 Jan 2016 00:18
Location: San Diego

Re: Grado Black2

Post by Boltman92124 » 12 Jun 2018 23:05

cafe latte wrote:I am sure the black 2 is a great cart as the gold 2 is stunning, but at the price I would be getting the gold 2 is is only just over a couple of hundred bucks, why go the black?
I found setting up so stylus is vertical in groove (you need magnification to do this) then dial up arm height 6-8mm (I found it almost impossible to get 8mm but 6mm leaves room for thick records anyway). This gives stylus 92 degrees which is apparently perfect for Grado elliptical and it apparently makes stylus last longer too.
In my tests of the new Gold 2 it went from very good but a little soft at the top to being perfect across the range and very detailed. I bought the Gold to with a mind to have it retipped with a Patrice, but not going to bother as happy with it how it is for now anyway.
Chris
I think that's the beauty of the Black 2 for $75. To hit that price point and impress.

mint++
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Jun 2018 19:20

Re: Grado Black2

Post by mint++ » 12 Jun 2018 23:13

Boltman92124 wrote:
cafe latte wrote:I am sure the black 2 is a great cart as the gold 2 is stunning, but at the price I would be getting the gold 2 is is only just over a couple of hundred bucks, why go the black?
I found setting up so stylus is vertical in groove (you need magnification to do this) then dial up arm height 6-8mm (I found it almost impossible to get 8mm but 6mm leaves room for thick records anyway). This gives stylus 92 degrees which is apparently perfect for Grado elliptical and it apparently makes stylus last longer too.
In my tests of the new Gold 2 it went from very good but a little soft at the top to being perfect across the range and very detailed. I bought the Gold to with a mind to have it retipped with a Patrice, but not going to bother as happy with it how it is for now anyway.
Chris
I think that's the beauty of the Black 2 for $75. To hit that price point and impress.
This is my first Grado cart, so a $70 gamble felt safer than a $120 or $200+ gamble. I wasn't sure what to expect after hearing so many people talk about "the Grado sound" with different opinions on it. I also read several posts about how the upgrade in quality between the Black and the color carts is noticeable but minimal and it might be wiser to save the cash for a more significant upgrade in the future. If I was already familiar with Grado and wanted the best of the best of the Prestige, I might have jumped up to one of the color options.

Boltman92124
senior member
senior member
Posts: 883
Joined: 23 Jan 2016 00:18
Location: San Diego

Re: Grado Black2

Post by Boltman92124 » 12 Jun 2018 23:21

For sure. Have it already? What do you think?

mint++
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Jun 2018 19:20

Re: Grado Black2

Post by mint++ » 12 Jun 2018 23:32

Only about 10 hours in but I really like it. I was using a basic Audio Technica cart, so anything would have been a welcome improvement. I'm curious how things will sound once I get closer to 40-50 hours in.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 10843
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Grado Black2

Post by cafe latte » 13 Jun 2018 01:10

Laila1 wrote:What TF do you use?

/ Lars
TF?
If you tracking force 1.5g
Chris

wojo58
member
member
Posts: 241
Joined: 16 Jan 2017 23:58
Location: Northern Illnois

Re: Grado Black2

Post by wojo58 » 22 Jun 2018 02:04

Finally mounted the Grado Black 2 today and spun a few records under it......

Observations:

No hum on Technics SL-D2
Easy to install/align
Pin layout different from other carts? ( I need to check against other carts/test record)
Lower output than my other carts

Impressions
Maybe a little underwhelmed? (need to give it more hours)
Top end a little a weak
upper bass/lower mid bump?
wide soundstage
female vocals sounded "right"

I need to double check the wiring and do comparisons on records that I more familiar with before passing final judgement. And give it a few more hours...... :-k

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 10843
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Grado Black2

Post by cafe latte » 22 Jun 2018 08:17

wojo58 wrote:Finally mounted the Grado Black 2 today and spun a few records under it......

Observations:

No hum on Technics SL-D2
Easy to install/align
Pin layout different from other carts? ( I need to check against other carts/test record)
Lower output than my other carts

Impressions
Maybe a little underwhelmed? (need to give it more hours)
Top end a little a weak
upper bass/lower mid bump?
wide soundstage
female vocals sounded "right"

I need to double check the wiring and do comparisons on records that I more familiar with before passing final judgement. And give it a few more hours...... :-k
Are you running it very tail up as I suggested?
Chris

wojo58
member
member
Posts: 241
Joined: 16 Jan 2017 23:58
Location: Northern Illnois

Re: Grado Black2

Post by wojo58 » 22 Jun 2018 15:31

Wish I could....the SL-D2 doesn't allow for that sort of blasphemy. Any way to affect this without the tonearm height adjustment option?

Now my sons AT LP120USB DOES allow for tail adjustments.....

Post Reply