the home of the turntable

Thinking of a Denon DL-110 to replace a 2M Red

the thin end of the wedge

Thinking of a Denon DL-110 to replace a 2M Red...

Postby hossfly10 » 17 Dec 2017 21:13

Looking for feedback/advice from those who have heard and/or owned both.

I have an all original Sony PS-X5 with an extra OEM headshell.
From what I can gather spec wise, the weight of both carts is similar so compliance shouldn't be an issue, and I have multiple options for loading on my phono stage (it is a MM only unit though). All tube setup BTW---Parks Audio Budgie phono/ Audio Electronics AE-3 preamp/ Dynaco MK IV monoblocks
For $299 shipped I just don't see how I could go wrong with this upgrade.
Almost every review and forum discussion I have seen gives it thumbs up all around.
As most say, the 2M red can be a bit bright and analytical, but overall I find it a pleasing cart in my setup. I listen to probably 60-70% classic rock/prog rock, the rest a mix of folk/blues/jazz.
What say ye folks?
Would this be a good choice for an upgrade, or maybe spend a bit less and go with an AT-440MLa or b. I had thought about getting a blue stylus for the 2M, but if I am going to spend that much, I would rather go with a different cart altogether to try a bit different sound profile.
I really don't want to go north of $400 for a cart, and I am looking at this as a long-term purchase. Not big into swapping carts around just due to lack of funds to buy a bunch, so my decisions on this stuff are pretty well hashed out before pulling the trigger.
TIA for any and all advice. :D
hossfly10

United States of America

Re: Thinking of a Denon DL-110 to replace a 2M Red...

Postby mrw00ds » 18 Dec 2017 09:27

The DL110 will trample all over the 2M Red IMHO...there's a smoothness and openness, plus bags of detail that the Ortofon just can't approach. Add the pin-point imaging, soundstage and the sense of "headroom", i.e. power in reserve, and I think the Denon is a winner for the price. =D>
mrw00ds

Postby Roberto C2H3 » 18 Dec 2017 14:55

The DL-110 is a beautiful lady with a lovely voice. Assuming the resonance calculator puts you in the green zone, its a no brainer to invest in one 8) .
Roberto C2H3
long player
long player

Argentina

Postby hossfly10 » 20 Dec 2017 04:08

Thanks to both of you who replied. After some more soul(and internet) searching, I found one from LP Gear on Amazon for 222.98 shipped. That sealed it. About the same as a 2M Blue stylus and with it's reputation I am ready to get it mounted and play a few LPs!! Will let you know what I think after it breaks in a bit.
hossfly10

United States of America

Postby balky » 20 Dec 2017 08:45

hossfly10 wrote:Thanks to both of you who replied. After some more soul(and internet) searching, I found one from LP Gear on Amazon for 222.98 shipped. That sealed it. About the same as a 2M Blue stylus and with it's reputation I am ready to get it mounted and play a few LPs!! Will let you know what I think after it breaks in a bit.

I'm sure you will be happy with this decision...
Just so you know in advance, the DL-110 output (1.6mV) is lower than the Ortofon 2m Red output (5.5mV) so if your phono pre-amp is not the type with variable output settings, you will need to up the volume on your power amplifier a bit.

Apart from this, you won't Help noticing after mounting the cart that you're starting to listen to records... and not analog music pretending to sound digital... :D
balky

Belgium

Postby a.wayne » 20 Dec 2017 15:25

I think the DL110 is higher than rated for output , when going between a , Grado Blue, V15type3 and a DL 110 I usually have to raise the volume pot 2 or so clicks for the DL110 to match, so not much an issue with pre-Amp gain IMO with a DL110..

Regards
a.wayne

United States of America

Postby chiz » 20 Dec 2017 15:43

a.wayne wrote:I think the DL110 is higher than rated for output , when going between a , Grado Blue, V15type3 and a DL 110 I usually have to raise the volume pot 2 or so clicks for the DL110 to match, so not much an issue with pre-Amp gain IMO with a DL110..

Regards

I've seen it reported as measured at 2.1mV and agree, it's not much quieter in use than my 4mV spec MMs.
chiz

United Kingdom

Return to Cartridges and Preamps