sound fades out after 4-5 seconds

the thin end of the wedge
atrust

sound fades out after 4-5 seconds

Post by atrust » 09 Dec 2017 22:41

I just bought a realistic lab 400 turntable and hooked it up to my receiver a pioneer vsx 56txi into the phono input. I will add that I am a total newbie to this. I got nothing no sound at all. I researched and bought a phono preamp behringer PP400. I hooked it into the phono in on the audio of the receiver and connected the ground wire and had sound for about 4-5 seconds and than no sound. I tried connecting to the cd audio in and same thing only sound for about 4-5 seconds. Everything else works fine regarding sound. Stumped. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Per-Mikael

Re: sound fades out after 4-5 seconds

Post by Per-Mikael » 10 Dec 2017 10:43

Do you have Line In or Aux In on your receiver? If so, try with connecting your preamp to one of those.

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 10 Dec 2017 11:23

Sounds like a connection issue with the amp to me. The amp already has a 'phono' input so you don't need the Behringer ...

Maybe there's something in the 'on-screen' menus to fiddle with as well , they can be a bit bewildering at times these multichannel amps!

Have you got a friend nearby where you can test out the turntable?

atrust

Post by atrust » 10 Dec 2017 15:29

Thank you for your response. I guess I will try to start from scratch again without the preamp. No I don't have a friend to test it out at. I must be missing something but don't know what it is. Thanks again.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 10 Dec 2017 16:38

The setting for the phono input is addressed on page 80 of your manual. Make sure it's set to phono for direct connection to the turntable. Be sure to reconfigure to line mode if you want to connect an external preamp to this input.

atrust

Post by atrust » 10 Dec 2017 16:44

Yes terry-a, I did that at the beginning. Phono input is the default but I checked it anyways to make sure it had't been changed. It had not. I even changed to line in with preamp and set it up in cd audio and the same response 4-5 seconds of sound and then it fades. I wonder way I get sound and then it fades. It seems like it would be all or nothing. Thank you for your response.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 10 Dec 2017 17:06

If you get no sound through the phono input and with the preamp sound fades in seconds I might suspect the cartridge, as unlikely as that seems.

Or perhaps there is a short in the tonearm wire that reveals itself after the tonearm swings a bit.

Tell me, you say the sound fades after 4 or 5 seconds. Is this 4 or 5 seconds from needle drop? If so what happens if you immediately drop the needle again?

atrust

Post by atrust » 10 Dec 2017 20:12

Well I set it up again like I did before and same thing. So I just started turning things on in different orders and it turned something on. I am getting sound now and it stays on. The only problem is it only comes from the rear 2 speakers and not the 2 front and center speakers. But at least I have sound and less hair. Thanks for all your suggestions which were all correct user error I guess or just luck. Thank goodness because this TT was almost going to have to grow wings to survive. Enjoy you day.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 10 Dec 2017 23:58

That's a little confusing. I can see it coming only from the front two speakers, but only the surround speakers sounds really odd. Are you properly set up for surround sound or are your rear speakers set up as "Speaker B" or something?

atrust

Post by atrust » 11 Dec 2017 04:40

No they are all on A. I would of thought that to. When I play the tuner or Cd all the speakers play but when I play the TT only the rear 2 speakers. The only thing I can figure out is the the front 3 speakers are connected to an amp and the rear 2 are not. They go to the receiver only.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 11 Dec 2017 05:29

I'm not at all familiar with your amp, but it would seem that it can recognize two channel v.s. 5.1 surround signals...it is possible that the "rears" should be configured to be your main/two channel stereo speakers. Your amp may be starting to play the 2 channel signal, then switching the signal to the "rears" which are typically only a percentage of the signal strength to the front mains. Either that or your "fiddling with things" re-set your front/rear signal mix. Just a thought.......

atrust

Post by atrust » 11 Dec 2017 05:35

Thank you for your input.