EVG Styli from Japan to Switzerland

the thin end of the wedge
wolfie62
United States of America

EVG Styli......from Japan to Switzerland

Post by wolfie62 » 29 Nov 2017 22:36

Bought my first Japanese-made EVG stylus last week for an ADC XLM MK II cartridge. I am very impressed for a $20 stylus! Was told they are made by Jico. But since Jico is raising nearly all their prices, EVG is going to Switzerland to have their styli manufactured.

Word to the wise: Make sure, going forward, that you buy your styli from a trusted source, who will honestly tell you where that stylus is manufactured. Prices are rising, inventory of Japanese styli are being depleted, substitutes will arise with no notice.

Oh....I really love that ADC cartridge! 40 years after the fact, I now understand what the buzz was all about!

macnoob
long player
long player

Re: EVG Styli......from Japan to Switzerland

Post by macnoob » 30 Nov 2017 16:09

If you like the ADC with the EVG stylus you should try it with the original ADC stylus, still available from The Voice of Music.

114-DET here: http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... ategories=

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 30 Nov 2017 17:54

I have a good NOS stylus for the XLM MK II. It doesn't sound quite as good as the EVG. Could be due to hardening of the elastomer block. I just ordered another EVG from Gary at V of M. He was the one who told me to buy EVG now if I liked it. In the future EVG will be buying from Pfanstiehl due to price hikes by Jico.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 30 Nov 2017 18:01

The other reason the EVG sounds better, is that it is a replacement for the XLM MK III, and the ZLM.

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... ?PID=P6136

Osibisa1
United States of America

Post by Osibisa1 » 01 Dec 2017 23:34

While the Improved version wasn't mentioned, the genuine is available from a vendor in the UK, I've got one in my XLM MK-II that sounds remarkable.

http://www.musonic.co.uk/adc-xlm-mkii-i ... 18221.html

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 02 Dec 2017 00:47

IMG_2976.JPG
(315.29 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times
I absolutely love that ADC cartridge! It is my favorite of my limited "herd". What do you think of it? I'm listening to it as I write this. Christmas music, Ray Coniff, 1964.

As for buying a NOS stylus, I have found several sources, but I appreciate the added source! Do you think that the age of the elastomer suspension block on these NOS styli stiffens the stylus, adversely affecting the sound? That is why I haven't bought one. I have a NOS XLM MK II stylus. It doesn't sound as good, to me, as this EVG stylus shown in the picture above. It's smooth, but not quite the detail and high end extension.

From Voice of Music, the EVG (Jico) XLM MK III/ZLM stylus is only $12. I'm having a hard time getting motivated to spend 7-8 times more plus shipping, on a NOS stylus. Of course, that could change if the Pfanstiehl stylus doesn't sound good....

Osibisa1
United States of America

Post by Osibisa1 » 02 Dec 2017 04:00

Well I spent the bucks for one and went back for a 2nd. IIRC in the "improved" version, the elastomer was changed and the two that I have show no evidence of hardening. I was skeptical until exchanging a few emails with the seller.

The cartridge is near & dear to me, so being able to obtain an original NOS in good condition made it worth the effort. Its also currently being used in my 1219.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 02 Dec 2017 04:38

I have a Dual 1214. I use it occasionally, but it's noisy and clunky compared to my Denon DP45F, and JVC QL Y5F. I don't get the attraction to Dual 12xx TTs. I got it for playing 78s, and it's great for that. But the more performance I squeeze from the rest of the system, the more it reveals how noisy that Dual is. But it's great for 78s!

I had been looking for an XLM cart for a few weeks. Bought the Integra ST when it was offered for $40 on eBay. Sounds great on the Denon! I was amazed how great the ADC QLM 36 sounds with the EVG stylus. Amazing how good an ADC cart sounds by upgrading the stylus.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 03 Dec 2017 02:33

Just wanted to give a "heads up".

Daunting to keep up with the market changes and sources. But, Jico is in demand, and sources for quite a few other styli suppliers. Makes sense they would raise prices. Perhaps the manufacturer in Switzerland will improve their processes and quality to compete? Competition benefits all of us. Especially those of us who love our vintage cartridges.

donovan

Re: EVG Styli from Japan to Switzerland

Post by donovan » 01 Feb 2018 03:59

There is some stylus made in Columbia by Normarh. It is sold mainly in Canada. Anyone used this brand and can comment on it's quality or lack of?

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 03 Feb 2018 10:57

wolfie62 wrote:I have a Dual 1214. I use it occasionally, but it's noisy and clunky compared to my Denon DP45F, and JVC QL Y5F. I don't get the attraction to Dual 12xx TTs. I got it for playing 78s, and it's great for that. But the more performance I squeeze from the rest of the system, the more it reveals how noisy that Dual is. But it's great for 78s!

I had been looking for an XLM cart for a few weeks. Bought the Integra ST when it was offered for $40 on eBay. Sounds great on the Denon! I was amazed how great the ADC QLM 36 sounds with the EVG stylus. Amazing how good an ADC cart sounds by upgrading the stylus.
Just to be fair, a generalized statement about Dual 12XX TTs does a disservice to some of them such as the 1219,1229 or 1249 which are all fine turntables.

BMRR
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 03 Feb 2018 15:56

donovan wrote:There is some stylus made in Columbia by Normarh. It is sold mainly in Canada. Anyone used this brand and can comment on it's quality or lack of?
Colombia, not Columbia. :wink:

I have several of these styli, sold and packaged under the "TEI" brand. As far as I know, they only make conical/spherical styli. The ones I have are good. Their Stanton DJ styli are almost as good as the real thing.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 04 Feb 2018 07:30

I was also advised by that source to purchase Japanese EVG Styli while they still had stock. Restocks may be from Switzerland. But why? As I said, Jico is raising prices. Pfanstiehl isn’t by nearly as much. Also, diamonds are actually quite plentiful. Especially when color, cut, and clarity are not issues, and sizes are VERY small.

I am going to do a post of comparisons of Styli I purchased over the last few months for my ADC cart. An eBay “EVG”, a real EVG, the original ADC, a NOS EVG, and an LP Gear Stylus. I am shocked by the differences!

Spoiler alert: the LP Gear Stylus was far from the best; I purchased an elliptical to try out before going SAS or Shibata or Vivid Line. They refuse to answer my repeated emails and phone calls!

jdubbie

Post by jdubbie » 07 Feb 2018 01:34

Tinkaroo wrote:
wolfie62 wrote:I have a Dual 1214. I use it occasionally, but it's noisy and clunky compared to my Denon DP45F, and JVC QL Y5F. I don't get the attraction to Dual 12xx TTs. I got it for playing 78s, and it's great for that. But the more performance I squeeze from the rest of the system, the more it reveals how noisy that Dual is. But it's great for 78s!

Just to be fair, a generalized statement about Dual 12XX TTs does a disservice to some of them such as the 1219,1229 or 1249 which are all fine turntables.
The 1214 is a fine turntable, though it has a built-in limitation in how the anti-skate functions, somewhat narrowing the selection of cartridges that will work best with it in this one respect, at least. Not sure why Dual did that. It probably needs a cart that can track at 2g at the lightest VTF to get anti-skate about right, and I don't know if ADC even made a cart that will track as heavy as that. If the main bearing is clean and properly lubricated, it is a very quiet turntable and sounds fantastic. I have restored two of them and they sound dazzling, but I wouldn't put one of my ADCs on it.

jdubbie

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 07 Feb 2018 03:26

jdubbie wrote:
The 1214 is a fine turntable, though it has a built-in limitation in how the anti-skate functions, somewhat narrowing the selection of cartridges that will work best with it in this one respect, at least. Not sure why Dual did that. It probably needs a cart that can track at 2g at the lightest VTF to get anti-skate about right, and I don't know if ADC even made a cart that will track as heavy as that. If the main bearing is clean and properly lubricated, it is a very quiet turntable and sounds fantastic. I have restored two of them and they sound dazzling, but I wouldn't put one of my ADCs on it.

jdubbie
The ADC QLM32MKIII - 2-4 gram tracking.
The ADC QLM30MKIII - 3-5 gram tracking.
Both designed for Record Changer duty.