the home of the turntable

simple vs fancy alignment protector

the thin end of the wedge

simple vs fancy alignment protector

Postby Shadowman82 » 28 Nov 2017 01:44

I've been wondering is there a difference in results between a simple alignment protector and those fancy expensive ones like the one from Dr.Feickert ? Do you get better more accurate results with the fancier ones ? Are they easier/more convenient to use ?
Shadowman82

Canada

Re: simple vs fancy alignment protector

Postby StephDale » 28 Nov 2017 01:50

I find the Feickert one so, yes. More importantly perhaps is that I find it more repeatable, so I can switch cartridges across a variety of turntables and tonearms quickly and easily.

They do have a bit of an Achilles heel though; you have to find the centre of rotation of the tonearm. Depending upon your skills and experience this can be either straightforward or very tricky. It is exceedingly simple on any arm which has the rotation point marked.

Steph
StephDale

United Kingdom

Postby Shadowman82 » 28 Nov 2017 02:26

Good info , thanks .
Shadowman82

Canada

Postby Alec124c41 » 28 Nov 2017 06:50

I use a printout of a 2-point protractor, with satisfactory results. I have seen fancy models with lights and magnifiers built in, but for that price, I can buy a lot of music. I have a flashlight and a strong pair of reading glasses from the drug store.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby Shadowman82 » 28 Nov 2017 23:02

I'd hope there is more to the Feickert one than it just having built in light or magnifier .
Shadowman82

Canada

Postby nat » 28 Nov 2017 23:54

I tend to use a 'fancy' Denessen SoundTractor because it is much faster than others I have tried. Because the protractor itself is aligned using the arm pivot, all you need to do it move the stylus to the correct single point to be as accurate as standard two point protractors. Unfortunately, when they came out in the late 70s, I could only afford the 30 dollar plastic one, not the 100 dollar aluminum one, and the plastic one has a raised cross hatched alignment area, which is a little alarming - if you were to bump the arm, you might give the stylus/cantilever a good wrench. But it's fast and precise, so you don't have to repeatedly fuss with it, which lowers the risk.
A headlamp might be a good accessory. As well as more youthful eyes.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby chiz » 29 Nov 2017 01:29

nat wrote:A headlamp might be a good accessory. As well as more youthful eyes.

Since I no longer have youthful eyes I use a linen tester.

example:

chiz

United Kingdom

Postby Shadowman82 » 29 Nov 2017 01:32

I have a protractor made specifically for the Sl-1200 by accutrax I think is the name of the company . It has SL-1200 spec alignment , Baerwald , Stevenson and Loefgreen on it . Haven't yet used it though as the current cartridge I own I had installed at the store where I bought it . But reading the instructions there is just something about them that confuses me a bit . lol
Shadowman82

Canada

Postby StephDale » 29 Nov 2017 01:59

Shadowman82 wrote:I'd hope there is more to the Feickert one than it just having built in light or magnifier .

Nope, hasn't got either of those!

Steph
StephDale

United Kingdom

Postby chiz » 29 Nov 2017 02:16

Shadowman82 wrote:I have a protractor made specifically for the Sl-1200 by accutrax I think is the name of the company . It has SL-1200 spec alignment , Baerwald , Stevenson and Loefgreen on it . Haven't yet used it though as the current cartridge I own I had installed at the store where I bought it . But reading the instructions there is just something about them that confuses me a bit . lol

I have the same one - Ken Willis AccuTrak.
Haven't read the instructions, sorry.
It's an arc protractor so hopefully any arc protractor instructions you can find can be applied. Maybe someone can suggest some good ones?
Basically you set overhang using the arc then offset using the outer null. Use the inner null to check.
chiz

United Kingdom

Postby wolfie62 » 29 Nov 2017 22:55

I have used several 2 point protractors over the last 40 years with mixed results. 6 months ago I tried the Conrad Hoffman protractor as found here in VE, tools tab. Amazing results! Very precise, easy, and repeatable! I was able to eliminate the IGD I had heard, and also got rid of sibilance I had been experiencing. It prints out to exact, precise scale on your own printer, using measurements for your TT found in charts in VE. Fact is, I used it again just last night to align my new-to-me ADC XLM cart. I achieved a smooth, sweet, detailed playback! AND.... you get to choose your preferred alignment! For me, that's the DIN Lofgren B.
Often....invention is the mother of necessity.
wolfie62

United States of America

Postby Shadowman82 » 30 Nov 2017 01:05

lol yeah if I really tried I guess I could figure out how to use the protractor . And if I ever got a different turntable I'd have to get a new one anyway as mine was made just for the SL-1200 .
Shadowman82

Canada

Postby wolfie62 » 30 Nov 2017 04:00

YouTube has a video on using the Hoffman protractor. It helps calm any anxiety about using it. Or, helps you to know what it looks like and how easy it really is. It's actually easier than the video shows.
Often....invention is the mother of necessity.
wolfie62

United States of America

Postby Boltman92124 » 01 Dec 2017 22:37

Shadowman82 wrote:I've been wondering is there a difference in results between a simple alignment protector and those fancy expensive ones like the one from Dr.Feickert ? Do you get better more accurate results with the fancier ones ? Are they easier/more convenient to use ?

I think it really depends on your turntable/headshell/cartridge combination. Technics 1200's and the Hanpin clones do well with the Technics Arc protractor for instance..available on this site.
AT LP120> Emotiva XPS-1 Gen 2, Denon 103,Goldring Elektra, AT 100e/95se,LP CF3600le. AT HS10/LP Gear Ultimate HS. AT618 Weight/Turntable Toys 3/16" Cork. JRiver 500gb Server> Adcom GDA700. GFA545 Amp. McCormack Micro Line Drive Pre. Mirage M7si. Kimber PBJ, 8VS.
Boltman92124

United States of America

Postby Boltman92124 » 01 Dec 2017 22:55

chiz wrote:
Shadowman82 wrote:I have a protractor made specifically for the Sl-1200 by accutrax I think is the name of the company . It has SL-1200 spec alignment , Baerwald , Stevenson and Loefgreen on it . Haven't yet used it though as the current cartridge I own I had installed at the store where I bought it . But reading the instructions there is just something about them that confuses me a bit . lol

I have the same one - Ken Willis AccuTrak.
Haven't read the instructions, sorry.
It's an arc protractor so hopefully any arc protractor instructions you can find can be applied. Maybe someone can suggest some good ones?
Basically you set overhang using the arc then offset using the outer null. Use the inner null to check.

The Technics Arc protractor on this site is pretty easy to use. It is only Baerwald though. I printed it per spec on some heavier card stock. Works well with the AT LP120. The resulting sound was much better than trying Stevenson, which pushes the cart way back in the headshell and messes up the overhang. The Technics 52mm overhang tool gives good performance too..especially if you like to do alot of cartridge swapping/mounting like I do...or you have an OCD thing about the cartridge not being straight in the headshell!
AT LP120> Emotiva XPS-1 Gen 2, Denon 103,Goldring Elektra, AT 100e/95se,LP CF3600le. AT HS10/LP Gear Ultimate HS. AT618 Weight/Turntable Toys 3/16" Cork. JRiver 500gb Server> Adcom GDA700. GFA545 Amp. McCormack Micro Line Drive Pre. Mirage M7si. Kimber PBJ, 8VS.
Boltman92124

United States of America

Next

Return to Cartridges and Preamps