the home of the turntable

zerodust

the thin end of the wedge

zerodust

Postby sunderwood » 15 Nov 2017 05:58

I have been using a zerodust for a pretty long time. It appears to do a good job of cleaning the stylus. That said, sometimes after I use it the sound is not as clean as it usually is even though looking through the magnifying glass the stylus appears clean. When this happens I can use some liquid cleaner on a brush and the sound is better. I can't be sure, but the stylus appears to glisten a little more with the liquid cleaner. Could I be getting some residue from the zerodust? Does the material in it have a lifespan at which it starts deteriorating? I have looked on the internet to see if I can find some info on this, but so far haven't had any luck.
sunderwood

United States of America

Re: zerodust

Postby LD100 » 15 Nov 2017 06:37

I have been using the Zerodust after playing each record side.
When there are no more clean spots left on the bubble, I wash it in warm water and Dawn dish washing soap. After about 4 years I haven't seen any evidence of deterioration.

About once a week I use Lyra SPT fluid on the stylus to get anything that the Zerodust may have missed. The liquid does make the diamond glisten! :D
LD100

United States of America

Postby sunderwood » 15 Nov 2017 16:19

Since diamonds normally glisten would that mean that the fluid is doing a better job of cleaning than the zerodust?
sunderwood

United States of America

Postby LD100 » 15 Nov 2017 17:05

sunderwood wrote:Since diamonds normally glisten would that mean that the fluid is doing a better job of cleaning than the zerodust?

Certainly a more thorough cleaning...as in the difference when you dust something off dry versus cleaning it with a liquid cleaner. The liquid cleaner gets more of the dirt particles and hence the light reflects better and makes the item shinier.

The Zerodust is only one tool in your stylus cleaning regime and best for everyday use. Brushes and liquid cleaner are more tools but you have to be careful not to overdo and get any liquid in the stylus suspension.

When you use all the tools properly, you have a sparkling diamond. =D>
LD100

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps